HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 2:59 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Honestly, if there were a highway from Houlton towards Sherbrooke (or even towards Beauceville), the drive to Montreal/Toronto would be shortened by quite a bit. I know of quite a few people who drive through the states to avoid Quebec anyway (for obvious reasons), so this highway i'm sure would be welcome.

Hahaha. I've referred to this phenomenon in the past and have always been roundly condemned by people who have denied its existence!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 3:03 AM

True, but for the short term, a bus route from Greyhound, or ViaRail-bus or Amtrack-bus would probably go a long way towards helping with that. It's not just having the route, it's having a route that can dove tail nicely with the rest of the National networks. Acadian and Cyr (northern Maine's bus service) doesn't really cut it when you have to buy separate tickets to go anywhere beyond their limits.

I doubt until the winds change again in the US and the border lightens up, we'll see another International train line. But getting the basics in place would be a good start. On our side, that would mean getting a Halifax to Saint John line going, with the spurs ready to extend to St Stephen again eventually. And on the Maine side, pushing from Portland up towards Calais, at least to Bangor. At least on the Maine side they haven't torn up as much of the old railways as we have on our side.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
...and then Boston (3 million) to Halifax (350,000), and would probably be the longest of the trips.
Since when were we 350,000?

How about 400,000.

And in 20-25 years were going to likely be 600,000 to 700,000. Then some of these ideas might become a reality.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 4:20 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Since when were we 350,000?

How about 400,000.

And in 20-25 years were going to likely be 600,000 to 700,000. Then some of these ideas might become a reality.
If 'Halifax' was any bigger, you'd be able to get 2/3 of the way to Portland without leaving HRM

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 5:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegraph Journal
Premier David Alward: No Highway Tolls in New Brunswick without a referendum.

FREDERICTON - Alward reacted cautiously to questions about tolls on Tuesday after Finance Minister Blaine Higgs raised the possibility last week, saying that if they make sense, they should be part of the next budget.

The premier said the introduction of tolls would not happen without the involvement of the federal government and without the consent of taxpayers.

"It would require a discussion with the federal government, as an example, because the federal government has invested in most of the four-lane highways in New Brunswick," Alward told reporters.

"It also would require going to a referendum as well because of the Taxpayers' Protection Act."

The Taxpayers' Protection Act. introduced in 2003, states government must either hold a referendum or give notice before a provincial election if it intends to introduce a new tax.

In addition, Alward and the Progressive Conservatives promised during last year's election campaign that they would require referendums to help decide significant issues.

The Alward government subsequently introduced referendum legislation, clearing the way for votes on what the premier described as important issues "that have a very large impact on the people of New Brunswick."

The referendum law leaves it up to the government to decide what meets the criteria for a vote, but Alward has always said that increasing the HST and introducing tolls are examples of the kinds of issues that could be put to the public for a decision.

Higgs said last week when he announced the latest projected increase in the province's deficit that the government is investigating highway tolls.

He said a study has looked at placing tolls at five different locations, but he said traffic volumes didn't justify that approach.

"So it's a balance of, 'if you place them, is there a real benefit?'?" Higgs said.

"The analytical work is being done as we speak. It is something being looked at seriously ... If it is to happen and it makes sense to happen, then it should be part of the next budget."

Officials with the Finance Department were unable to clarify the nature of the study under way on highway tolls, saying it appears to be confidential advice to the minister.

The Transportation Department did not respond to requests for an interview.

Liberal finance critic Donald Arseneault said there's too much secrecy about critical choices being made in relation to the province's finances.

"It's confusing for the public, especially when the finance minister makes comments about options he is considering and the premier says something else," Arseneault said.

Currently, the only highway toll in the Maritimes is at the Cobequid Pass in Nova Scotia. The toll - $4 for automobiles and $3 per axle for trucks - raises roughly $20 million every year.

New Brunswick briefly charged tolls on the four-lane highway near Moncton in the late 1990s, before the Liberal government was defeated by Bernard Lord's Tories.

The tolls were scrapped by the Lord government in 1999.

The provincial government has announced its annual deficit will be $545.7 million, or nearly $100 million higher than expected. Higgs said he isn't ruling out raising taxes to fight the deficit.

David Murrell, an economics professor at the University of New Brunswick, said he favours holding a referendum on tolls, but he doubts people would support that kind of extra charge on their highways.

"People probably would vote against it."

Nevertheless, Murrell said it is imperative the New Brunswick government balances its books and highway tolls are a good idea.

"I'm not sure people really realize what the books are like," he said.

"I have a fear that more and more people are not reading newspapers or listening to the news. I think there is less civic awareness out there. The dialogue has to be about how we balance the books within two or three years."

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.c...rticle/1454353
Pretty much just towing the line and playing it safe at this point.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hahaha. I've referred to this phenomenon in the past and have always been roundly condemned by people who have denied its existence!
Makes a bit more sense to do this if you're coming from Saint John, but I drove Fredericton -> Ottawa in the spring and the route I took through Maine saved me about 100 km but no time. If there was a proper highway it would be awesome though.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:52 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Won't ever happen. I don't know why anyone in New Brunswick would even be all that positive about it, considering how much money we've spent over the past two decades twining Routes 1, 2, and 95...

And even if you save time driving, the way the Americans are going, we're all going to need visas, background checks, and personal GPS tracking devices implanted under our skin, is all going to add up to the delays at the border.

The only practical thing we could do that would involve northern Maine would be to put a rail line through for cargo. A straight shot that went from Canada to Canada (and hypothetically then wouldn't need to go through customs) would cut down freight transport times considerably. That said, nobody ever thinks rail for cargo transportation anymore, so even that would be a dubious project at best.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Won't ever happen. I don't know why anyone in New Brunswick would even be all that positive about it, considering how much money we've spent over the past two decades twining Routes 1, 2, and 95...
I'd be positive about it just because it would save a LOT of time when traveling to Montreal and points west from southern NB.

Quote:
And even if you save time driving, the way the Americans are going, we're all going to need visas, background checks, and personal GPS tracking devices implanted under our skin, is all going to add up to the delays at the border.
This is why I go to the less busy crossings, like Vanceboro. Usually takes less than 30 seconds to cross.

There was a proposal a couple years ago about building a toll road for trucks through northern Maine. I'm not sure whatever happened to that. It's a long shot for sure, but it would be incredibly convenient both for transport and for Maritimers in general.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 6:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
This is why I go to the less busy crossings, like Vanceboro. Usually takes less than 30 seconds to cross.
Agreed. Houlton is easily the longest to get through, followed by St. Stephen. I haven't been across the new crossing from the new two-lane highway around St. Stephen, but i'm assuming that's fairly busy, too. There used to be a crossing in Milltown for trucks that was very quick but i'm not sure if that is still the same. Haven't crossed at Vanceboro, but I wouldn't doubt the 30 seconds claim

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 6:28 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Crossed last weekend. Going over we took the Milltown bridge because St. Stephen was backed up pretty bad (probably 45 minute wait). Milltown got us through in about 20 minutes. On the return trip we passed through the new crossing north of St Stephen which was quite nice. It was pretty late in the day and there was no traffic at all, but I can see how it would get busy there. That said, they're far more able to accommodate heavy traffic than the other crossings in the province.

I wonder what the americans must think when they cross through at Calais. The road from Bangor to Calais is actually pretty good, but it's a rural 2 lane highway with passing lanes through the hills. But as soon as you hit Canada, you're presented with a massive crossing and then what is, by comparison, a huge freeway on the Canadian side. Makes us look like we've got our proverbial shit together. That said, I wonder whether that twinning project will be worth it in the end. I've been told that the New England states are pretty determined to not expand their freeway network now and focus on rail for cargo. And we've got an uninterrupted 4-lane road from Bangor to Woodstock now that Route 95 is done. So is Maine ever going to improve their side from Calais to Bangor? I doubt it.

Northern Maine is even emptier than Central NB. A highway from Calais to Bangor would require at least one major crossing at the Arostook River to connect with the Interstate system, and it's pretty rough terrain.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I crossed at Vanceboro exactly once about eight years ago (just for variety, I usually cross at Saint Stephen/Calais).

Vanceboro is a sleepy little crossing and mine was the only car in sight when I arrived. The U.S. customs agent, when he appeared, was a huge black man (he must have been 6'5") with bulging muscles everywhere. He eyed me suspiciously and when he found out I was from Moncton stated,with a pronounced southern drawl, "Watcha doin' crossin' at Vanceboro. If y'all from Monck-ton, why didn't youse go via Calais".

There was evil malice in his beady little eyes and I'm sure he assumed I was either a terrorist or a smuggler (or both). He insisted on inspecting my vehicle and when he came out of the building to look in my trunk, I noted the rather large firearm that he had holstered on his hip. He was rather frightening to say the least!!

I'm sure that he seriously considered ripping the upholstery out of my vehicle, but perhaps the three fidgetting children in the back seat dissuaded him. In any event, he let me go, but he stood in the middle of the roadway eyeing me with the deepest suspicion, and with his hands on his hips (close to his firearm) as I drove away.

I haven't crossed the border via that route again.......

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:26 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I crossed at Vanceboro exactly once about eight years ago (just for variety, I usually cross at Saint Stephen/Calais).

Vanceboro is a sleepy little crossing and mine was the only car in sight when I arrived. The U.S. customs agent, when he appeared, was a huge black man (he must have been 6'5") with bulging muscles everywhere. He eyed me suspiciously and when he found out I was from Moncton stated,with a pronounced southern drawl, "Watcha doin' crossin' at Vanceboro. If y'all from Monck-ton, why didn't youse go via Calais".

There was evil malice in his beady little eyes and I'm sure he assumed I was either a terrorist or a smuggler (or both). He insisted on inspecting my vehicle and when he came out of the building to look in my trunk, I noted the rather large firearm that he had holstered on his hip. He was rather frightening to say the least!!

I'm sure that he seriously considered ripping the upholstery out of my vehicle, but perhaps the three fidgetting children in the back seat dissuaded him. In any event, he let me go, but he stood in the middle of the roadway eyeing me with the deepest suspicion, and with his hands on his hips (close to his firearm) as I drove away.

I haven't crossed the border via that route again.......
Nothing compared to my run-in with Border Patrol 20 miles outside of Bangor at a police checkpoint. It's nice when they ask you for permission about stepping out of your car, or searching your car, as if you have an option other than "Yes Officer", all the while holding the firearm on their waist. Way more intimidating than RCMP officers.

I haven't had any problems at the border, but to be quite honest I haven't had to cross with any of my Desi friends yet, so we'll see how that goes when the time comes.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 1:25 PM

My experiences at Vanceboro are very different. There's one guard in particular who has joked around with me on more than one occasion and once gave my dog treats.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 2:03 AM
ハルウララ

On the topic of Nova Scotia highways:

How is the doubling of Highway 104 (New Glasgow -> Sutherlands River) coming along? Also, is the new Antigonish bypass double-lane as well? david1gray, where are youuu?

I heard a while ago of Nova Scotia's plan to double Highway 103 to somewhere around Bridgewater, but i'm unaware if that was a fact or if I just made it up. Can someone either confirm/deny that there will be work done on Highway 103, in terms of doubling or creating bypasses?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 2:14 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Is that a big priority? I've only driven it twice, but I don't recall the 103 being all that bad for a two-lane highway.

One thing that's always bugged me though. Why does the 103 end less than a half-km away from the 101 in Yarmouth? Why didn't they just extend it that little bit further to finish the loop from...well according to the map, Bayers Lake to Yarmouth, Yarmouth to the Valley, and from the Valley back into HRM at Bedford?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 4:15 AM

Quote:

I heard a while ago of Nova Scotia's plan to double Highway 103 to somewhere around Bridgewater, but i'm unaware if that was a fact or if I just made it up. Can someone either confirm/deny that there will be work done on Highway 103, in terms of doubling or creating bypasses?
The Provincial Government's 5 Year plan has the details:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/highways/5...an_2011-12.pdf

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:09 PM

Quote:

How is the doubling of Highway 104 (New Glasgow -> Sutherlands River) coming along? Also, is the new Antigonish bypass double-lane as well? david1gray, where are youuu?

I'm hur to save the day hahah

104 to Sutherland's River opened another KM in September. The remainder should be open this time next year.

As for the Antigonish Bypass, work is continuing on that. They just started in September on the #7 over pass. Still a year or two before phase one opens.

If I can manage to get the parents car sometime soon I'll try and get some pics.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:38 PM

Where exactly is the #7 overpass?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 10:18 PM

I threw this together pretty quickly so it's not right on but close enough for now.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 3:30 AM

So basically right through the old elementary school I attended.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces