HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 6:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I think most people want an investment in both transit and a stadium, but people are trying to be realistic in expecting an investment in one at a time.
I'm not sure that view makes much sense given the fact that both projects require quite a bit of planning that hasn't happened yet. Even if every councillor agreed 100% that the city needs LRT today, it would take years of planning and construction for it to become a reality. It's also perfectly normal for multiple projects to co-exist in the pipeline (or capital budget) at one time.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 2:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm not sure that view makes much sense given the fact that both projects require quite a bit of planning that hasn't happened yet. Even if every councillor agreed 100% that the city needs LRT today, it would take years of planning and construction for it to become a reality. It's also perfectly normal for multiple projects to co-exist in the pipeline (or capital budget) at one time.
I suppose I assume politics won't allow the province and city to do both at once. Yes, the planning for both can be funded, but the funding of construction is something I suspect politicians don't want to put on the books at the same time since there is a province outside of Halifax that's moaning about Halifax's glory.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 7:39 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I suppose I assume politics won't allow the province and city to do both at once. Yes, the planning for both can be funded, but the funding of construction is something I suspect politicians don't want to put on the books at the same time since there is a province outside of Halifax that's moaning about Halifax's glory.
Good point. But I'd say let them moan. How many of these cities were freeriders on Halifax's initial founding and port access.

Why are we paying for Montreal to take our shipping capacity through winter icebreakers?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 1:33 AM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 1:36 AM

Well I seem to have issues putting the video in the message, here's the link.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 2:04 AM

It looks quite nice. Definitely a huge improvment over the current museum!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 2:15 AM

This looks fantastic! I had no idea that they were proposing something so ambitious. This is an anchor kind of attraction that is really special because its unique to Halifax and actually reflects our own history. It's not something artificially grafted onto the waterfront. Hopefully they'll be able to raise the needed funding to make it happen.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 2:47 AM

This is just plain awesome.

When/how is it going to get built?

Are they aiming to have it done for 2017? Looks like it.

Start digging, folks!

=======

EDIT: more info on the website here: http://battleoftheatlanticplace.ca/index.php

Looks like Stantec is the designer. They do aim to open by 2017.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:25 AM

is the Queen's Landing proposal not going through then?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 11:29 AM

Who's paying for it? Not the taxpayer, I hope. There are many other higher priorities.

It blocks the view of the harbour. Will Save The View mobilize again?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 12:21 PM

The HMCS Sackville is a museum in its self and I don't see the need to build a museum around another museum. This seem like a endeavor to force patriotic pride in our face and down are throats.

I would much rather have a aquarium on the waterfront than a war museum.

It also sucks that we would lose the playground, wave, ect..

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 3:06 PM
BANNED

The scale of this museum is very appropriate for the waterfront. Sackville Street is going to be amazing by the end of this decade!

Source

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 3:59 PM

I think this project will be a great addition to our waterfront!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
The HMCS Sackville is a museum in its self and I don't see the need to build a museum around another museum. This seem like a endeavor to force patriotic pride in our face and down are throats.
While it dovetails quite nicely with the current federal government's interest in highlighting Canada's military prowess, the museum within a museum is required (at least according to testing on the hull and substructure conducted by Department of Defence) to protect the ship from further deterioration. HMCS Sackville is starting to fall apart, and sitting in salt water doesn't help.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
While it dovetails quite nicely with the current federal government's interest in highlighting Canada's military prowess, the museum within a museum is required (at least according to testing on the hull and substructure conducted by Department of Defence) to protect the ship from further deterioration. HMCS Sackville is starting to fall apart, and sitting in salt water doesn't help.
From the looks of the renditions it will still stay in the water in the building.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:
From the looks of the renditions it will still stay in the water in the building.
This is part of the overall strategy for the preservation of this ship:

Quote:
Defence R&D Canada - Atlantic was tasked to conduct an options study on the permanent preservation of HMCS SACKVILLE. The main objectives were to evaluate options for the preservation of HMCS SACKVILLE in a permanent site and to provide preliminary recommendations for preservation options. A number of preservation options were evaluated, including maintaining the Status Quo, corrosion control of interior hull structure, dry berth, floating berth in seawater, and permanent enclosed docking berth. These options were evaluated based on the information collected through literature review and site visits to the historic ships in UK on which various preservation practices have been adopted. Among the options evaluated, a permanent enclosed docking berth with weather-proof shelter was considered the most appropriate for the preservation of HMCS SACKVILLE. This option will not only meet the objective of preserving HMCS SACKVILLE in perpetuity, but also allow full public access to the ship all year round without weather effect. In addition, measures that can be taken in the short term to mitigate the corrosion damage to the interior hull structures were identified. Future work based on the recommended preservation option was also recommended.
Source: http://pubs.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/BASIS/pc...NUM=534972&r=0

Also, from the following source (linked on the above site):
http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/...534972_A1b.pdf

Quote:
3. Design and construct a permanent enclosed docking berth as part of the long-term preservation plan.

It is recommended that a dry dock be constructed at the Halifax waterfront and be used as the permanent enclosed docking berth site for HMCS SACKVILLE. It is also recommended that a weather-proof shelter be constructed around the dry dock. The weather-proof shelter will allow the public to visit the ship all year round. In addition, the dry dock should also be able to facilitate the dry-docking of the ship for minor maintenance and emergency repair of the ship. To meet this requirement, the dry dock should include a gate in order to keep the dry dock water tight. The gate should also be able to be opened and closed to allow the ship to be towed away for major maintenance. It is also recommended that the ship be kept afloat in fresh water in order to eliminate marine growth on the underwater hull and to reduce the corrosion damage to the hull in the splash zone. An appropriate pumping and circulating system should also be installed to maintain a preset water level in the dry dock and to keep the water attractive and savoury.
The entire scope of the preservation strategy starts in section 7.2 on page 48 of the pdf.

Happy reading!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:41 PM

so we have a price jump for this asinine project of being 200 million http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/919...-to-open-2017/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:43 PM

Quote:
I would much rather have a aquarium on the waterfront than a war museum.
It also sucks that we would lose the playground, wave, ect..
Well this is the preliminary design - so if there is a lot of public outcry that the wave is going; then it may get put back in the final equation. The wave never did anything for me so I don't care if they remove it or move it somewhere else. But calling it asinine isn't helpful to the discussion.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:47 PM

Quote:
asinine project
With all due respect...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
With all due respect...
I've always wondered, when respect is due, who determines what respect is due?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth