HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
It's notable that there were houses (and a store IIRC) on the perimeter of Sullivan's Pond.
I definitely can remember them tearing down the houses on Hawthorne, adjacent to Sullivan's Pond. So it can't be more than 25 years that they've been gone.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I definitely can remember them tearing down the houses on Hawthorne, adjacent to Sullivan's Pond. So it can't be more than 25 years that they've been gone.
That timing sounds about right. I believe they systematically bought up buildings around the pond as they became available, but I can't remember the details. Colin probably would as he was in council around the time.

When I was a kid I recall there was a small 'corner' store pond-side around the foot of Oak or Dahlia, but it was torn down sometime in the 1970s IIRC.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 9:16 PM

They finally have the website up along with pricing: http://www.lotuspointliving.com/floor-plans

The prices seem high. I'm in Monaghan Square in a unit that's 200sf smaller than the smallest cheapest unit in Lotus and paying $40 less. But I'm in Halifax on the top floor with an ocean view and much better building amenities and appliances (filtered water, ice maker, roll in range). Their unit is on the second floor in Dartmouth and not quite as high end. Although I will say Downtown Dartmouth is starting to be a pretty nice looking place to live.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
They finally have the website up along with pricing: http://www.lotuspointliving.com/floor-plans

The prices seem high. I'm in Monaghan Square in a unit that's 200sf smaller than the smallest cheapest unit in Lotus and paying $40 less. But I'm in Halifax on the top floor with an ocean view and much better building amenities and appliances (filtered water, ice maker, roll in range). Their unit is on the second floor in Dartmouth and not quite as high end. Although I will say Downtown Dartmouth is starting to be a pretty nice looking place to live.
It always has been! It's just that others are starting to realize it too...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
That timing sounds about right. I believe they systematically bought up buildings around the pond as they became available, but I can't remember the details. Colin probably would as he was in council around the time.

When I was a kid I recall there was a small 'corner' store pond-side around the foot of Oak or Dahlia, but it was torn down sometime in the 1970s IIRC.
I remember the last house being demolished but not sure if I was on council or if it was in the 3 years prior- I went to almost every council meeting prior to running in 1991. The exact date will be in the online minutes.
I believe the last house demolished was the lock keeper house and some people wanted it preserved for the obvious historical reasons. Money won that argument.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

The units fronting on Ochterloney will lose a view when the Baptist church is sold, the For Sale sign went up last Friday, agent Larry Sowerby. A developer will go for at least 8 storeys on the site, perhaps even 10 storeys. The best views in Lotus Point are in the top 3 levels facing the graveyard.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The units fronting on Ochterloney will lose a view when the Baptist church is sold, the For Sale sign went up last Friday, agent Larry Sowerby. A developer will go for at least 8 storeys on the site, perhaps even 10 storeys. The best views in Lotus Point are in the top 3 levels facing the graveyard.
Didn't realize they were selling it, but I see their website has plans for a new church off Woodland Ave:

http://www.fbcd.ca/building-in-faith...house-2017-11/

Too bad, I've always liked that old stone church...
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.66848...2!8i6656?dcr=0

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I remember the last house being demolished but not sure if I was on council or if it was in the 3 years prior- I went to almost every council meeting prior to running in 1991. The exact date will be in the online minutes.
I believe the last house demolished was the lock keeper house and some people wanted it preserved for the obvious historical reasons. Money won that argument.
Do you remember why the demolished the houses? I thought that it was to make the Sullivan's Pond block completely parkland...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Do you remember why the demolished the houses? I thought that it was to make the Sullivan's Pond block completely parkland...
They wanted to spend the money just to complete the park perimeter.
I hear the Baptist church wants 7 figures.
Almost all the abutting properties on Queen are owned by a couple who live in a home on the block. You probably know them, can't remember their name.
The developer of Lotus has approached them but they are in no hurry to sell and they have the upper hand.
Do you remember the Wright family ?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
They wanted to spend the money just to complete the park perimeter.
I hear the Baptist church wants 7 figures.
Almost all the abutting properties on Queen are owned by a couple who live in a home on the block. You probably know them, can't remember their name.
The developer of Lotus has approached them but they are in no hurry to sell and they have the upper hand.
Do you remember the Wright family ?
No, can't say that I do, actually. Maybe knew them to see them??

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 9:36 PM

The pricing is a bit rich for my blood. But it is a great location.

20180217_111604 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
The pricing is a bit rich for my blood. But it is a great location.

20180217_111604 by Jonovision23, on Flickr
Given that it is an Andrew Cobb, it would be nice if they could maintain the building with any new development.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:45 PM

They are now working below level at the front of the property, the area that had been used for equipment. That area at the front should go upwards fairly quickly.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 9:47 PM

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:01 PM

This appears to be topped out now.

20180328_124010_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20180328_124235_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 4:18 PM

So this one has had a last minute design change....

Lotus+Point+3d+Rendering by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:05 PM

All the renderings previously posted on the forum were links to the Lotus Point website, so now they're broken links. I can't remember what the old design was?

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:42 PM

Here's an older one:

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:44 PM

Looks like it has veered off quite a bit from the rendering shown on page 1 of this thread (the one posted by Phalanx above).

It seems to have become somewhat generic...

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 7:18 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Sure looks like vinyl siding on the top layers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth