HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 12:39 PM

That was tough to watch. Osorio and teibert need to start. We also missed hutch dearly.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 12:43 PM

I went to bed at the 60minute mark - couldn't handle any more

Up 6 spots in the FIFA rankings to #103 this morning

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
I went to bed at the 60minute mark - couldn't handle any more

Up 6 spots in the FIFA rankings to #103 this morning
We actually had some decent chances after the 60 min mark. Teibert and Straith both hit dipping shots from 20 yards out that went about a foot over the bar.

De Jong unleashed a cracker going top corner but the keeper pushed it away for a corner

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 3:14 PM

CONFIRMED by FIFA: Canada's next round World Cup qualifier will be against one of - Belize, Grenada, Antigua, Aruba, Nicaragua or Curacao

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 3:22 PM

Quote:
CONFIRMED by FIFA: Canada's next round World Cup qualifier will be against one of - Belize, Grenada, Antigua, Aruba, Nicaragua or Curacao
Finally some confirmation that we avoid the likes of Guatamala, Haiti, el salvador and Jamaica.

Good to hear.

Where did you hear this from?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 3:34 PM

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 5:14 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
You missed Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. Antigua is also in Canada's pot so they can't be drawn with them.

This is good for Canada, though. Only Grenada and Nicaragua out of those countries are feasible close matches for Canada. The rest should be pretty straightforward. Should be.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
You missed Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. Antigua is also in Canada's pot so they can't be drawn with them.

This is good for Canada, though. Only Grenada and Nicaragua out of those countries are feasible close matches for Canada. The rest should be pretty straightforward. Should be.
Curaceao coached by Patrick Kleuvert could be tricky. Essentially a Netherlands C team. I don't think Grenada would be much of a problem. But you never know with Canada and Concacaf.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 1:05 AM
Go Chiefs!

1-0 loss for Canada vs Jamaica. Goal in stoppage time. Thank god I didn't watch.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 1:24 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
1-0 loss for Canada vs Jamaica. Goal in stoppage time. Thank god I didn't watch.
I watched...just shoot me now...the women's pan am team is so much nicer to watch...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
It should have been 5-0 for Jamaica. They missed so many good opportunities. Yes, on certain occasions our goalie kept us in the game, but overall we were dominated.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
It should have been 5-0 for Jamaica. They missed so many good opportunities. Yes, on certain occasions our goalie kept us in the game, but overall we were dominated.
Hardly dominated, but the last 10 minutes Jamaica was definitely stronger. I just find it funny how so many people hold the Canadian team in disdain especially when we beat Jamaica 3-1 last September. Even the Fox American commentator wasn't so negative this game.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Hardly dominated, but the last 10 minutes Jamaica was definitely stronger. I just find it funny how so many people hold the Canadian team in disdain especially when we beat Jamaica 3-1 last September. Even the Fox American commentator wasn't so negative this game.
Dude, face it, we suck. We lost to a tiny pot producing island in the Carribean. It doesn't matter that we beat them at a friendly. We need to do it at tournaments that matter.

The only excuse that Canada possibly has was the heat. It was pretty hot yesterday in Houston. Jamaicans are used to it. Canadians aren't.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Dude, face it, we suck. We lost to a tiny pot producing island in the Carribean. It doesn't matter that we beat them at a friendly. We need to do it at tournaments that matter.

The only excuse that Canada possibly has was the heat. It was pretty hot yesterday in Houston. Jamaicans are used to it. Canadians aren't.
Have you ever followed the CMNT? Your post was the same stereotypical garbage that once every qualifying cycle followers write that I've been reading since Internet forums started.

Funny how all the people whining that "we suck" over at Voyageurs are mostly newbs. This is an all new group of young players (in midfield and forward) who don't have a helluva lot of experience together not even at youth levels. Two new strikers who haven't developed a rapport and experimenting in the midfield, (aside from DeGuz), things will take time.

What the whiners don't understand that with a coach there is always method to the madness, and also things happening behind the scenes (injuries, availability). Sometimes plans work and sometimes they don't.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
the women's pan am team is so much nicer to watch...
I think I'm going to track the video down and watch this one, it looks interesting.

Canada WNT opens Toronto 2015 with flurry of goals
Women's National Team / Olympic Team canadasoccer.com 12 July 2015

A young Canada’s Women’s National Team opened play at the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games on Saturday with a decisive 5:2 win over Ecuador.

Canada opened fire early in the match, establishing solid control by maintaining possession and pushing on the attack. In the 12th minute, forward Janine Beckie scored her first of two on the night on a clean left-footed strike from the top of the six-yard box.

Ecuador seemed to regain their footing for a moment however in the 29th minute and managed to get past goalkeeper Stephanie Labbé to make it 1-1 on a free kick that got through the Canadian wall fairly easily.

While they appeared rattled for a few minutes, Canada maintained their high energy level, led by Beckie and Fletcher who both were very active on the wings all night.

In what initially looked like a cross, left back Shelina Zadorsky foiled the Ecuadorian keeper and saw her strike find the back of the net to give Canada the lead heading into the locker room.

Canada came back out of the half on a mission, wasting no time in re-establishing its pace. Three minutes into the second half, Beckie found Zadorsky on a perfectly placed corner, and the defender did well to chip it over the open hands of Berruz to make it 3-1.

Canada added two more back-to-back at the 77th minute, first with Beckie’s strike, her second of the night, then by a confident finish from Emma Fletcher on a great serve by Lawrence. Canada was then leading 5-1 going into the final 20 minutes of play.

And that’s when it got tricky.

Canadian goalkeeper Labbé, on an attempt to save a breakaway by Ecuadorian Riera, was shown a straight red card and ejected from the match at the 86th minute.

Since the Canadians had already made their three allowed substitutions, they had to identify a field player to cover the role. After a confusing episode of trying to figure out which jersey to put her in, Janine Beckie put on the gloves and bravely stepped up to the line to face the free kick awarded to the opponent.

Once again, the defensive wall setup by the Reds seem to let them down, and Ecuador got one back just past the 90th minute of play.

Canada managed to hold on and ended-up securing a convincing 5:2 win over the Ecuadorian squad, which should be noted was mostly comprised of players having competed in the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015 the month before.

Canada WNT will now face Costa Rica on Wednesday, 15 July (20.30 ET / 17.30 PT). The match will be broadcast live on Sportsnet and available online at CBCsports.ca.

They will however have to do so without their starting goalkeeper, Stephanie Labbé, who will have to serve a one-game suspension for her expulsion. This will give young Kailen Sheridan, from Whitby, ON, an opportunity to showcase her game in front of friends and family.

Tickets for Canada’s Toronto 2015 Pan Am matches are still available via ticketmaster.ca or by visiting toronto2015.org.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 1:45 PM

Quote:

Jamaica is more than a pot producing country. They have good players playing in the championship, premier league, and MLS.

Having said that im starting to question floro. Not starting teibert or osorio again. Hainault coming on as a d mid to bunker down just inviting pressure.

Nice to see the women put on a good show.

Here's hoping the u23 men put up a good fight against brazil.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 1:55 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

As much as I'm optimistic about the longterm growth and development of the game/players with respect to the CanMNT (and as much respect as I have for Benito Floro's direction), the women's Pan Am team appeared more technically sound to my untrained eyes.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 9:10 PM
Hello World

Lost to Jamaica yesterday... face palm time.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 10:45 PM
ハルウララ

I don't think people understand the concept of sports rankings within countries and the desire to play those sports in those countries re: size of countries populations. Outside of Track and Field, Football is #1 in Jamaica? In Canada? Eh...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I don't think people understand the concept of sports rankings within countries and the desire to play those sports in those countries re: size of countries populations. Outside of Track and Field, Football is #1 in Jamaica? In Canada? Eh...
I'm of two minds on this. I do think we have far more sports on our radar here than most countries and we are fairly competitive in most. And many countries do not concern themselves with putting resources or athletes towards winter sports as well except for maybe the famous Jamaican bobsled team (and just yesterday I saw something on a Jamaican hockey team)

Having said that, I think it would surprise or maybe shock people here how many soccer players and registered soccer players we have here and how we compare against other countries. But aside from pockets of larger support in the bigger cities, for Joe Sixpack Canadian it is not high on the consciousness stream.

I've been following the CMNT for 40 years and nothing surprises me concerning Canadian soccer (good or bad) but I do think we should be doing better than we are. I don't demean other small countries ie Central American and immediately dismiss them because they are a small country or do not have players playing for famous clubs. I've been around long enough to know that doesn't always work.

We've been getting beaten for years by some of these small countries who have a concentrated viable national league that allows players to develop familiarity and play together often.

Ok back to numbers playing (from FIFA). You can extrapolate these numbers anyway you wish, rich countries vs poor, largely populated vs small, number of females included, ages (minors vs adults) but it still comes down to Canada having a significant number of players.

When we can finally get rid of auld country influences, political infighting, and results based influences then we will be on our way. Things are getting better, but a long way to go.

Also I think, it would be safe to assume that we are still growing as a soccer country (compared to the survey below in 2006) while many other established countries may have maxed their potential.

(2006 Big Count, a FIFA survey of its 207 member associations)

Registered players

All Players

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada