View Poll Results: Railway Station
Citi Station 7 43.75%
Johnson Station 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 9:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I believe the plan is that the position for running the competitions is for the taking, and you’re to PM Alek if interested. So with that said are there any takers?
Why don't you do it Dac or do you not have enough time?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 9:46 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule View Post
Why don't you do it Dac or do you not have enough time?
Haha, I would but I really have no time, which seems to be the case with most people here. With school and everything it’s a busy time of year for everyone I would imagine.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 10:21 PM
Closed account

Really I think M.K would do the job just great....

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 1:44 AM
i like stuff

if nobody has time to even take over the competitions what makes anyone think people will have time to submit entry's for these competitions

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeR View Post
if nobody has time to even take over the competitions what makes anyone think people will have time to submit entry's for these competitions
Dac150 pretty much said it. Right now is a busy time of the year for many people. We could always regroup in a couple weeks or even wait until the winter break.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 6:10 PM
BANNED

yes, but my paralelal unofficial contest/competition would start at 01.10.2009 and closing entries sending 3 months after, until 30.12.2009, just to respect everybody time and patience problems about that the real life the participants. So i think 3 months would be great for everyone to find a little time somewhere in this between... a holiday... a weekend somewhere when tests do not tight too much.... and other life occurencies... So.. but until i do not get the 'green go' i can't post the whole idea yet. If the mod don't approve it enterily, i have to skip then, posting here. BTW, i myself can't participate, while i do not have abillities in easy taken renders and 3d modellers, but i can give opportunity to others who have. It seems really among all, i am the most who has most time to do time, even when i can't edit and diagramming anymore. So i have to find a new hobby here.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 1:20 AM

A contest every three months would be cool. It would need to allow for multiple entries though in case someone really likes the idea. It would also need to be a broad competition like "pick an existing structure and rebuild it to be better" or something like that.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 8:49 PM
Closed account

Grat idea but the Comps are what hang this fourm together!At least 1 a month.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule View Post
Grat idea but the Comps are what hang this fourm together!At least 1 a month.
Well we could have a layered competition system.

"Gold Medal" competitions every three months, "Silver medal" competitions every month and "Bronze medal" competitions for when people want to have a spontaneous competition.

Winners go to a hall of fame of sorts with a list of all there medals for getting first place in competitions.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 10:21 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krases View Post
Well we could have a layered competition system.

"Gold Medal" competitions every three months, "Silver medal" competitions every month and "Bronze medal" competitions for when people want to have a spontaneous competition.

Winners go to a hall of fame of sorts with a list of all there medals for getting first place in competitions.
Great idea!I hink the silver should start in the very beginning of the month and alll entries should be in at the very end of the month.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 1:10 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

MK-Maybe I wasn't clear enough on my PM. Yes you can start a comp but it will not be 'official' just for fun.

I really don't think the "Silver/Gold" comps will work out. That would be a good idea if we had a lot of members here, posting a lot of threads and participating in a lot of the comps. But we don't.

The reason I don't want more than 1 comp going on at once is because some comps will attract more people than the other, which isn't fair. And if the 'Gold' comps are for more experienced Sketchup users than the Silver, then we're not creating an equal chance, UNLESS, both comps are the same topic but Silver can have textures and Gold must be hand-drawn.

But like I said, that only divides the little amount of people that we have into 2 groups which means less entries for each comp.

CURRENTLY, whoever wins a comp chooses what the next comp will be about. Comps can be between 1 and 2 months. People don't bother reading the rules and never set a deadline. I DON'T set deadlines, the person who chooses the next comp does. But for some reason or another, I have to end up choosing the deadlines and then I get blamed for not enough time.

I don't think it's the comp system that's not working, I think people should pay more attention to the rules and deadlines.

And in case I wasn't clear enough, having an 'official' comps DOES NOT mean anyone can't start their own comp separately. BUT it can't have the same -winner chooses next comp- system as the official ones because then we would begin to have 2 sets of comps and people will again begin to complaint.

The real reason why comps are slow is because people are busy or loosing interest in SU. Adding more comps might not actually help, especially with a complicated system like the Bronze-Silver-Gold one.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 4:20 AM

Well the bronze-silver-gold system is so competitions are divided up into length. 3 month long gold competitions are for more casual people who can use the long deadline to fit designing into there schedule or for more dedicated people to make multiple submissions.

Its just an idea though. I don't want to see competitions die, but I unfortunately don't have much time to dedicate right now. Around mid December I will have more time.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 10:33 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
MK-Maybe I wasn't clear enough on my PM. Yes you can start a comp but it will not be 'official' just for fun.

I really don't think the "Silver/Gold" comps will work out. That would be a good idea if we had a lot of members here, posting a lot of threads and participating in a lot of the comps. But we don't.

The reason I don't want more than 1 comp going on at once is because some comps will attract more people than the other, which isn't fair. And if the 'Gold' comps are for more experienced Sketchup users than the Silver, then we're not creating an equal chance, UNLESS, both comps are the same topic but Silver can have textures and Gold must be hand-drawn.

But like I said, that only divides the little amount of people that we have into 2 groups which means less entries for each comp.

CURRENTLY, whoever wins a comp chooses what the next comp will be about. Comps can be between 1 and 2 months. People don't bother reading the rules and never set a deadline. I DON'T set deadlines, the person who chooses the next comp does. But for some reason or another, I have to end up choosing the deadlines and then I get blamed for not enough time.

I don't think it's the comp system that's not working, I think people should pay more attention to the rules and deadlines.

And in case I wasn't clear enough, having an 'official' comps DOES NOT mean anyone can't start their own comp separately. BUT it can't have the same -winner chooses next comp- system as the official ones because then we would begin to have 2 sets of comps and people will again begin to complaint.

The real reason why comps are slow is because people are busy or loosing interest in SU. Adding more comps might not actually help, especially with a complicated system like the Bronze-Silver-Gold one.
Aleks why don't wew have the same topic for each one but each one takes more time.As you said the Gold could be hand drawn,silver could be textures,and bronze whatever you want.And the winner gets to pick the next comp for all the different stages

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
MK-Maybe I wasn't clear enough on my PM. Yes you can start a comp but it will not be 'official' just for fun..
Many thanks Aleks for your impressions, it is appreciated from mine. As i told you, it is entirely not official and totally free parallel to the official ones. It is just one opportunity that i thought could be something interesting for everyone in a wider spectrum, but nobody needs to participate if they don't feel good and excited enough to do. So, btw, my 'unofficial contest' is already open in the sub-forum of Art, i explained there why i put there and as is not only for Sketch-upers, or i mean, all softwares and techniques are equal welcome, the main reason i prefered putting there, as Art. It follows what Krases a little bit said, 3 months for more time and multiple submitions (2 of 3 to be presented). If someone is interested, can take a look in there. I tried to be most flexible i could with my abbilities explaining, but received sad already 1 critic. You can manage whatever you think is necessary if you want. I hope your help also. Many thanks again. I am proud you allowing me.

Last edited by M.K.; Oct 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 5:08 PM

gold ,silver and so on ,think its a little bit too much ,for
me the main reason for skipping comps is the lack of
entries and now there is comps in ssc which had
a huge interest but one by one they dropped out
and only managed 5 entries.Time is an issue and i reckon
a longer timeframe is better but a more challenging comp
should be side by side with a longer time.

Would like to see a comp where we would have to design
buildings where materials,transport,art,life etc would be
required elements ...but lets see what mr m.k has to offer

plus m.k and flamesrule would have to enter

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 5:35 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Okay, so I want to go more into this topic. If it takes a different system to get more people then I'm okay with that. Although in my opinion less people enter these comps because of time issues in their lifes.

I'm not home right now and I won't be home until Sunday so I can't really explain it well. When I get back I'll explain why some things might work and why others might not. See you guys Sunday!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 6:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post

Would like to see a comp where we would have to design
buildings where materials,transport,art,life etc would be
required elements ...but lets see what mr m.k has to offer

plus m.k and flamesrule would have to enter
1- if you feel to put all those elements, go ahead, you are free to do.
2- i can't participate, cause the only 3d modeller i know is catia and do not have it at home, but i am and was excited to try one day.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 7:37 PM

why not to use the comp winners on the SSP City R? I think it would be a good price/reward and will help to complete and made a bigger and great city.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 8:03 PM
World Machine

I think there are some good ideas here on how to expand the sketch-up forum as well as attract some new forumers. I know I certainly enjoyed this place a couple years ago, and it would be great to bring that kind of consistent traffic back. The competitions (if executed right) can do just that.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 9:26 PM

so m.k i dont understand why
you dont have sketch up...?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup