HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 5:57 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Alternate San Jose International Airport

Hey all!

So I'm designing a new airport after the success of the last one I made. This new airport is an alternate version of the San Jose International Airport. In this alternate universe, San Jose is a significantly larger city, and American Airlines (after the takeover of Reno Air) has built up a substantial hub. The layout of the terminals will be similar to Seattle International Airport, and the architecture of the airport is heavily based off of one of my favorite airports, Portland. This airport is significantly bigger, and will contain much more detail than my last airport. Where my last airport had around 20 gates, this one will have likely around 60. Because of computer limitations, I don't know how far I'll get with this idea.

Some things to look forward to in this airport:

-Full airport layout including Runways and Taxiways (which I've already made, so I can keep that promise )
-More detailed concourses
-New and more realistic markings on the ramp
-More aircraft than before

Preview screenshots:

Runway Layout Concept:

Enjoy! Also, please comment on what you'd like to see/improve so I can get ideas flowing for this new airport. Thank you!

Anthony

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 8:30 PM

Well from what I can see it looks sweet!

PS San Jose is myeast favorite city in America.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 3:14 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Well from what I can see it looks sweet!

PS San Jose is myeast favorite city in America.
Haha, really? Well, remember this is an alternate universe so maybe you might like this San Jose?? This San Jose has about 1.5 million more people, and it's closer to the Bay Area. This airport would actually be serving both Oakland and San Jose (Oakland International Airport also doesn't exist in this alternate universe, Oakland is served by both this airport and San Francisco).

Essentially, this airport will be similar in size to Seattle, plus it serves Silicon Valley and also serves as a reliever airport for San Francisco (because everything is hooked up to mass transit anyway), so that's additional reasoning of much more service at the airport.

I chose San Jose because of the nice geographical location as a north-south connecting hub.

Anthony

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 3:52 AM

I love the layout, and am just glad that you're following on your success on your previous airport.

You can make the infrastructure quiet perfect. Make more hangars and a separate building for maintenance perhaps.

I could only suggest putting more work (At the end!) on the would-be main atrium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
it serves Silicon Valley and also serves as a reliever airport for San Francisco (because everything is hooked up to mass transit anyway), so that's additional reasoning of much more service at the airport.

I chose San Jose because of the nice geographical location as a north-south connecting hub.

Anthony
This alternate universe might look like the Bay area in 20 years.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 4:33 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Wow!

So I learned this excellent tutorial on building realistic aircraft. I'm not an expert yet, but man does it produce results. Now I can actually design aircraft without limits as to what blank models are in 3D Warehouse. I just redesigned an MD-80 from 3D Warehouse to look MUCH more realistic. This aircraft will be the most prominent in my new airport. I'm going to do some heavy modifications to current aircraft I have so as to provide for a much more realistic airport. The nice thing is that there is no change in detail, just change in accuracy, so I don't lose anything there.

Here is an American MD-80

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ameri...-82/1378076/M/

Here is the old and new (the new one is in front) comparison for my American Airlines MD-80.

I'm going to make an attempt to install photoreal metal textures, but at this point, success may look unrealistic, so I think I might stick to relatively accurate colors.

Anthony

EDIT: Just made another plane I can use. An Alaska Airlines MD-80 (Which sadly, they are all gone now as of August 29th, 2008).

How it'll look in a line-up:

Anthony

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Sep 26, 2008 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 5:09 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Woo Hoo!

For the first time, I have designed an airplane and painted it 100% from scratch! Nothing from 3D warehouse, this puppy is all me. Sorry, lol, don't mean to sound obnoxious, but I'm just really proud of it. This is an American Eagle Embraer 145

Anthony

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 10:10 PM

That's amazing, how long have you been doing planes??? (or how did you started)
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 7:28 AM
Desert Dweller

That is so impressive, kudos on making those planes yourself! Again another amazing airport! I am just so intimidated and impressed. I know exactly who to ask for help the day I make Staunton's airport.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 5:51 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Major Update!

The airport terminal design is finalized and modeled. I'm also experimenting with photo-real ramp textures. I've made an airport terminal diagram below:

Airlines

Concourse A:
AirTran
Frontier
Southwest
US Airways
Sun Country

Concourse B:
Alaska
American
American Eagle
Horizon

Concourse C:
Aeromexico
Air Canada
Air France
Continental
Delta
Delta Connection
Hawaiian
JetBlue
KLM
Lufthansa
Midwest
Northwest
United
Virgin America

Concourse D:
American
British Airways
Japan Airlines
Mexicana

While Concourse A and C have been built, I have not added jetways or aircraft there yet. The main terminal and parking garages have yet to be built, but the atrium is completed (and if you liked the atrium design in my last airport, I think you'll like this one). Unfortunately, to save on computing power, I decided against filling in the atrium with people and stuff.

Renders:

Easily surpassing my last airport model, this is the best 3D model I've ever made, in my opinion. lol, sorry to sound boastful...I'm just damn proud of the above render.

Tell me what you think!
Anthony

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 5:52 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
That is so impressive, kudos on making those planes yourself! Again another amazing airport! I am just so intimidated and impressed. I know exactly who to ask for help the day I make Staunton's airport.
Thank you! Yeah, if you need help feel free to reply or PM and I'm happy to do what I can.

Anthony

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post

Renders:

Anthony
I'm speechless
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 10:25 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Oh my lawd!

So I'm gathering my new runway textures up to put on the model...I tried this various times without success because the runway textures I had didn't blend in with the photoreal textures of the ramp (taxiway area on which the terminal sits), so I have a new solution: Use a photoreal runway layout and blend it together with my regular ramp textures that I have right now using Photoshop. But in order to do it right, I'm going to have to use about the same resolution for the runways as I did with the taxiway.

Total file size of the runway texture only estimate: Over 220 MB! That's how sharp and clear these textures will be!

Anthony

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 10:29 PM

So, the runway layout is going to stay the same???

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 10:32 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeliko View Post
So, the runway layout is going to stay the same???
Well, for the most part, sort of. The two parallel runways will remain the same, but the intersecting runway is gone. From an efficiency standpoint, it was pretty useless anyway.

Anthony

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup