HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 9:10 AM
Dare Mighty Things

My Google Sketchup Airport II

Hello everyone!

Bah, I'm so bad at posting here , I'm awful at updating, but to keep things interesting, I thought I'd post my latest airport design.

NOTE: This airport is not in any way based on efficiency, it's based on what I think the coolest airport (of its purpose) would look like for an aviation spotter nerd like I.

Basically the concept for this airport is an airport located right near the heart of either downtown San Francisco or Boston...can't really decide. But essentially, it's an airport located near downtown that's small and confined, but incredibly convenient for travelers traveling out of it due to its closeness to downtown. This is very much like a smaller version of a Washington National Airport.

There are relatively few gates, but no room for expansion, and because of that, airlines have to make the most out of the slots they own. Regional jets and turboprops aren't allowed at this airport, and for good reason. The city council decided that RJs just aren't very cool airplanes, and it'd look a lot cooler if it was restricted to mainline-aircraft-only. All airlines agreed to this, that RJs aren't very cool. Like I say, good reason.

To give credit where it's due, a lot of the models here are modified, some cases heavily, from their original. The textures for the buildings are from Google's Denver airport model. WilliamT provided most of the aircraft models themselves, but all of them (except the FedEx, WestJet, and Air Canada) were painted by me by hand. Each airplane took roughly 30 minutes to an hour to make. The cars are components from Google, and the jetways were heavily heavily modified by me, but originally from 3D Warehouse.

I'll post more pics and info as I progress...but for now, enjoy!

Satellite view showing the main terminal building aka what I got so far:

Cargo and Concourse A ramp:

"...but the dawn is breakin, it's early morn..."

The view shortly after take-off:

Overcast day showing the hills in the background, as well as part of the skyline:

Yes, before anyone says anything, I know the pics in the background aren't necessarily of Boston or San Francisco. So sue me.

Anthony

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:16 PM
Community Guy

pretty impressive

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 11:20 PM

Wow thats looks real.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 2:23 AM

i'm so jealous, ever since i discovered sketchup i've been trying to do a good airport
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 4:17 PM

wow,
i know i've been in absentia, and not commenting nor posting but Boise, being an airliner fan myself, I just gotta say. GODDAMMIT!!!! COOLEST THREAD EVER!!!!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 2:15 AM

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 5:37 AM

lol,I have a obsession with planes to! Proud owner of a Dozen 600+ page Aircraft Enclopedias

Simply stunning,I must say. I love it!!!!!!!! W-O-W!!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 11:08 AM
Desert Dweller

Thats amazing.

MOAR!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin55 View Post
lol,I have a obsession with planes to! Proud owner of a Dozen 600+ page Aircraft Enclopedias

Simply stunning,I must say. I love it!!!!!!!! W-O-W!!
hehe, i see uve been practicing your SU physics! nice avatar!

I collect 1:400 airliners models and some cool encyclopedias too!!!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 4:26 PM
World Machine

That looks amazing, please keep working on it and updating. I love airports, commerical planes, etc... I just flew in to Newark yesterday (which is an amazingly vast airport).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 10:00 AM
nuttin

I thought i posted here already

Can we use it in the SSP city ? It's mucho nico as they say in Mexico

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 10:02 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocholate View Post
I thought i posted here already

Can we use it in the SSP city ? It's mucho nico as they say in Mexico
Sure thing! I'll get it up on 3D Warehouse. Though let me make a few adjustments first. Since I posted this model, I've been painting not only more aircraft, but with a lot more detail like batshit crazy!!

Anthony

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 10:55 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wow, this is great. You use Kerk right?

For a second there I thought you made the background on the second picture using SU. Then I realized it was photoshoped.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 1:52 AM
Registered Lurker

I'm late but this is outstanding BoiseAirport!!!!! You sure know a lot about airports!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 7:07 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Wow, this is great. You use Kerk right?

For a second there I thought you made the background on the second picture using SU. Then I realized it was photoshoped.
Actually I haven't tried rendering it through kerkythea, but I anticipated I would at some point or another, so all of the lights work in KK and all of the windows reflect in KK. I'm just personally lazy, because KK is taking approx. 4 hours to do a single render that usually just turns out OK, but not great, so I've become...discouraged, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I'm late but this is outstanding BoiseAirport!!!!! You sure know a lot about airports!
Thank you! I've just studied aviation for as long as I can remember via websites and my dad, who's a pilot and has inspired me to love aviation since I was in diapers!

I'll post some screenshots of my updated model tonight.

Anthony

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 7:38 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoBra View Post
i'm so jealous, ever since i discovered sketchup i've been trying to do a good airport
I know! I try to make airport all the time and I always end up messing them up. It's too much work for me. Maybe I'll give it a shot one last time and see how it goes.

Anyways, so then was all this done in Photoshop? How did you make the windows bright?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 8:46 AM
nuttin

I;m pretty sure the transperant materials light up if the shadows are set to dusk/dawn ?

Good stuff Boise You'll have to keep it under 10 mb unless your email can send more than 10

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 9:26 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
I know! I try to make airport all the time and I always end up messing them up. It's too much work for me. Maybe I'll give it a shot one last time and see how it goes.

Anyways, so then was all this done in Photoshop? How did you make the windows bright?
Ohh just changed the hue, then upped the brightness and contrast. Ohh, and I also did the ol' duplicate layer, Opacity 30%, Gaussian blur trick to create the light bloom effect.

NEW PICTURES (Sorry about the quality, I forgot my new camera, and had to deal with my old crappy one, plus somehow these shots got all out of order )

I took this shot from the parking garage, nice line-up in the morning.

I had a friend who was de-iceing a United 757 take this shot.

After that he took this shot of a Continental 737-800 going to Houston.

ARGH!! As I was departing, I had this great opportunity for an awesome shot, but the quality is terrible as a result of taking off + my old camera!

When I got to the airport, it was pretty calm, actually, and a nice sunrise was in store for me.

Saw this RON'er Northwest A319 who'll soon depart for Memphis.

Here's a view of the Delta Connection ramp. They operate sort of a miniature hub to smaller cities around the area.

A friend of mine actually sent this shot to me, so it's not mine. His dad works as a ferry captain, and the boats get really close to the airport. There's a Northwest DC-9 taking off, probably to Detroit or Minneapolis, but I'm not sure.

Again, taken by my friend. As you can see, a good line-up of aircraft about to depart.

Hope you enjoyed! (btw, I'm totally switching to photobucket from now on...it's a million times better than imageshack!)

Anthony

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 9:28 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocholate View Post
I;m pretty sure the transperant materials light up if the shadows are set to dusk/dawn ?

Good stuff Boise You'll have to keep it under 10 mb unless your email can send more than 10
Uh-oh...I think the file is something around 25 mb

Anthony

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 2:36 PM
Registered Lurker

Great shots! I loved the blurry one as you were taking off in the plane. (Get a better camera)

Quote:
Thank you! I've just studied aviation for as long as I can remember via websites and my dad, who's a pilot and has inspired me to love aviation since I was in diapers!

Anthony
ah well that makes sense being around it all your life so do you plan to become a pilot? My older brother is a pilot too. he is a flight instructor right now. He will fly commercially within a few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup