HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
objectively
I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I was thinking about this when I saw them erecting the crane. Take a look at the type of crane it is, and how far above the roofline the cab is. It really isn't all that high, as far as tower cranes go. This is a type of tower crane that's meant to operate in confined spaces, such as when you've got taller buildings in the immediate vicinity of the work site, while still being able to reach every corner of the work site. It is, in short, the perfect crane to re-roof a large horizontal expanse, especially when the alternative is either unfeasible or impractical. I mean, they had Market Street closed down on Saturday afternoon installing this thing! Can you imagine having to re-roof the whole site with street-based cranes?

Something else I'm noticing: If you look closely enough, every installed detail corresponds with the render so far. It's quite sneaky, too, because this render is done from a much more flattering angle -- and with much more flattering (i.e. low) light -- than we'll ever get to see. Strange, that.

You can also see that they're doing some work on the back tower base from 10th and Arch. Specifically, they've got some of the vents there completely knocked out. PREIT is notorious for waiting until the last second to announce anything -- any fool with a brain could see that the Strawbridge's basement was being outfitted for an anchor tenant several months before Burlington Coat Factory announced it was moving down there. Any fool with a brain can see that the NE corner of 10th and Market is being outfitted for a 3-story mini-anchor right now as well -- the escalator gaps in the middle of those floorplates are obvious and plain as day. I reckon that's where the Primark's gonna go.
Last I heard was the H&M would go on the NEC of 10th and Market, and I'd put money on that still being the case given the horrific H&M white color they chose for the paneling in that exact spot. Then again, H&M is performing horribly worldwide and retail is changing all the time, so who really knows.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:41 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
Last I heard was the H&M would go on the NEC of 10th and Market, and I'd put money on that still being the case given the horrific H&M white color they chose for the paneling in that exact spot. Then again, H&M is performing horribly worldwide and retail is changing all the time, so who really knows.
That's the first time I've heard of H&M. The only rumors I've ever heard are Primark in that spot. It's also clearly going to be on the large side for an H&M, with I'd guess between 25k and 32k sf of space ... I'd be much more sold on H&M wanting a 15k sf or so inline parcel tbh.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:34 AM
Midrise

Yes, the H&M was mentioned in December at the same time they announced the Wills Eyewear.

The Fashion District’s Wills Eyewear store will measure 2,200 square feet. It will sit on the concourse main level of the mall right by bustling Jefferson Station between retailers Hollister and Famous Footwear, while nearby will be H&M, Columbia Sportswear, Bath & Body Works, American Eagle, and Abercrombie & Fitch.

Wills Eye foresees more retail stores as more medical providers invade the malls | Philly.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
That's the first time I've heard of H&M. The only rumors I've ever heard are Primark in that spot. It's also clearly going to be on the large side for an H&M, with I'd guess between 25k and 32k sf of space ... I'd be much more sold on H&M wanting a 15k sf or so inline parcel tbh.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:17 AM

Quote:
So you must be a skateboarder... The last Love Park was a objectively an urban design disaster of epic proportions. Obscured views, multi-levels, weird angles and sightlines, dark nooks and crannies that served perfectly for mugging stations and homeless shelters... There's a reason that when they fixed the roof they completely scrapped the original design.
No, I am not a skateboarder, well not since the 4th grade. I think you’re under the impression that I was patronizing iamrobk, I’m not. I was suggesting that people may have been bashing the parks progress because they may refuse to like it.

As for me, I’ll make it clear that I don’t refuse to like it. But growing up in Philly my whole life I am definitely proud towards some of our old landmarks and admittedly sometimes a little resistant to change, and I know I’m not unique here. I’m still hoping I like the new love park more than the old though. So yea, skeptical but still hoping for the best.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 11:27 AM

Does anyone know what percentage of the new gallery's space is leased out already?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.
Inconceivable!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Inconceivable!
Remember, never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:18 PM

http://www.phillyvoice.com/love-park...ign-reactions/

Man, there's a marketing/PR rollout lesson to be learned here. The 2nd sentence states "...the official ribbon cutting ceremony won't be until May 30...gripes have already started rolling in" ---which is translated..."while the park won't be finished for another 7 weeks, a bunch of knee jerk assholes are hastily taking to social media to trash it in its totally unfinished state."

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:54 PM

I'm impressed by the echo chamber affect in all the articles coming out about this.

While I can't really have an opinion, due to not being able to visit the park in person, it seems to me that there is an awesome willingness to print stories about unhappy responses. (This is just one example) Once someone publishes one or two, then it just keeps echoing.

Hoping that once it is fully planted and grown in a bit, fountains tweeked, food trucks back, it will be a positive space for the city.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Patience padawan. Trees grow. Maybe the $$ saved on the trees allowed them to upgrade another component of the park - like those slick benches.
Yeah, generally I'm positive on it. When your only gripe is something that will only take time to grow in it's really not that big a deal. Just seems like the part they skimped on. I'm impatient for it look wonderful.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 8:31 PM

Some folks were even complaining about the benches were too low.....before the wood slats were even inserted. They had assumed the granite bases were the finished product.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Some folks were even complaining about the benches were too low.....before the wood slats were even inserted. They had assumed the granite bases were the finished product.
I saw that.

Inga piling on as well:
http://www.philly.com/philly/columni...-20180426.html

She calls it dimensionless. I think the flower beds will add dimension once they begin to mature and add more form and shape to the space. Sister Cities has become almost a totally different park after it's multiple flower beds grew in and up.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:19 PM

I think the old adage "everyone's a critic" rings particularly true in the revamped Love Park case.

I get that initial perceptions matter, but to a large extent I think folks are showing how emotionally attached they still are to the old Love Park. But it's not as though that arrangement was without flaws (it's abundantly clear that the disjointed concrete model for public parks does not age well). The old version was also not nearly as multi-faceted as the new version (having a new cafe and splash-pad type amenity will do FAR more to entice and encourage patrons to stay a while than a quick shot at the Robert Indiana sculpture).

Above all, give the landscaping a chance to do its job! Has any park ever created opened to completely lush grass, flowers in full bloom, and tall, mature trees? I'd think not. Maturation is always a work-in-progress when something opens.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:34 PM

I'd like more mature trees as a kick start to what we hope it will be, but other than that, I'll reserve judgment until I've given it a post-completion once over. "Dimensionlessness" may be an issue, but it had far too much "dimension" before. It was walled off from the street and a nightmare to navigate with a stroller!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:05 PM

Notice of demolition on this building on N. Broad. Any idea what’s going on here?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmount2Fishtown View Post

Notice of demolition on this building on N. Broad. Any idea what’s going on here?
Damn, I like that building, that's a shame. I would feel cheated if anything less than 200' goes there to replace that beauty.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:35 PM

^^^^^I'll feel cheated if this building is torn down.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
^^^^^I'll feel cheated if this building is torn down.
Look, it's nice, but it's sat there vacant for years with an empty lot next to it. I think that its one of those times where we have to bite the bullet for the sake of development.
My point is, if the resulting building doesn't equal or supersede this building in terms of architectural quality, I will feel as if this is a loss.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 5:44 PM

A permit was recently issued for a corner of Broad and Spring Garden:

490 N BROAD ST
19130 - 4015

FOR THE ERECTION OF A ONE STORY STRUCTURE FOR USE AS SIX TENANT SPACES, USE REGISTRATION REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY FOR SPACES 1 TROUGH 4, SPACE 5 FOR USE AS SUNDRIES PHARMACEUTICALS AND CONVENIENCE SALES.

It's a CMX-5 lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development