HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 9:28 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Just some interesting photos of some interesting interchanges in Metro Detroit...

Not the most extensive, but what's fairly notable about a lot of these in the city proper is their tighteness, probably because of their age. Here is the Southfield at the Jeffries (M-39 at I-96):

M-39 - I-96 Interchange by Trish P. - K1000 Gal, on Flickr

And, again, not extensive, but here is The Reuther at Woodward Avenue (I-696 at M-1) two miles north of 8 Mile looking east. What's interesting is that Woodward splits with local and express lanes, with the express going beneath the already entrenched Reuther, and the local branching off to stay at grade. 10 Mile Road makes up the service drives.

I-696 Looking East at Woodward by kbreenbo, on Flickr

Woodward Express

Woodward and 10 Mile Rd/I-696 by JVLIVSPhoto, on Flickr

DSC04641gq by gab482, on Flickr

Last edited by LMich; Jan 8, 2014 at 12:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 10:15 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Lets just say, one of these freeways is not like the other

the deleted freeways gave way to lightrail ROW though, so

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 4:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
And, again, not extensive, but here is The Reuther at Woodward Avenue (I-696 at M-1) two miles north of 8 Mile looking east. What's interesting is that Woodward splits with local and express lanes, with the express going beneath the already entrenched Reuther, and the local branching off to stay at grade. 10 Mile Road makes up the service drives.
This is usually called a "volleyball" or "three-level diamond" interchange. This one is pretty unique because the main roads are both depressed and nothing rises above ground level.

Usually it's much cheaper and more compact to send one road above grade and one below, like this in Northern Virginia.

That reminds me of a really neat interchange on the Ronda in Barcelona... It's like the one at Woodward/696, except the top level is replaced by a traffic circle, and there are some direct ramps between the two depressed roads. It wouldn't meet American standards for turn radius or acceleration distance, but the highest speed limit here is only 80kph (50mph).

flickr/JordiGoetz (+ my stitching)

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 6:10 PM

There's a few other around Detroit that are kinda spaghetti.

There's the I-94/Southfield Freeway interchange

Washington to Detroit by warrior1, on Flickr

There's also the new ramps to the Ambassador bridge to I-75.

http://www.hntb.com/expertise/highwa...ssador-gateway

http://www.freep.com/article/20120515/NEWS05/205150446/

Although down the road at the I-75/I-96 interchange, it's not any less complex but it is entirely less compact. The Fisher Freeway splits into express lanes going towards Downtown, similar to how I-96 is set up from Davison to the Southfield Freeway.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 9:10 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Isn't it funny how the Fisher lane seperation (between local and express) is never mentioned, while the Jeffries seperation is? Is there some kind of technical definition that prevents the Fisher lanes from formally being designated express-local? BTW, just for what it did to Corktown I curse that section of the Fisher. It looks like a wasteland because of the overbuilt freeway. I get you need all of the capacity because you're connecting the bridge to the northern suburbs. But, there had to have been some other way to do it. Maybe simply have directed the truck traffic up the Jefferies, and made them go up to the Ford, and then cutting across and connecting to the Chryslere to get them north?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This is usually called a "volleyball" or "three-level diamond" interchange. This one is pretty unique because the main roads are both depressed and nothing rises above ground level.

Usually it's much cheaper and more compact to send one road above grade and one below
Yeah, you go two miles down Woodward where it crosses 8 Mile, and that's the interchange you get. Woodward express lanes are an above grade bridge, the local lanes of both Woodward and 8 Mile are at grade, and 8 Mile express lanes below grade.

Last edited by LMich; Jan 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Isn't it funny how the Fisher lane seperation (between local and express) is never mentioned, while the Jeffries seperation is? Is there some kind of technical definition that prevents the Fisher lanes from formally being designated express-local? BTW, just for what it did to Corktown I curse that section of the Fisher. It looks like a wasteland because of the overbuilt freeway. I get you need all of the capacity because you're connecting the bridge to the northern suburbs. But, there had to have been some other way to do it. Maybe simply have directed the truck traffic up the Jefferies, and made them go up to the Ford, and then cutting across and connecting to the Chryslere to get them north?
Technically, the only one exit into Corktown from 75 is at Rosa Parks. The entrance ramp from Rosa Parks leads directly into 75.

The other "lane" is technically an off-ramp to the Lodge Freeway for both north and south and is counted as exit 49 from 75, however, it also is fed traffic that is coming from the Jeffries.

Coming from the Jeffries, the two options are to the Lodge Freeway or the Fisher Freeway either north or southbound.

If you're going to the Lodge, you keep to the right and merge with exit 49 from Fisher. This also counts as an exit from Jeffries to Rosa Parks.

If you're going to Fisher, you keep to the left and the ramp splits off leading you directly into the main trunk of 75.

However, for whatever reason there's a redundant off-ramp that leads you back onto 75 from the ramp going to the Lodge. It really shouldn't even exist because that's what makes the whole thing confusing. There's no new source of traffic weaving into the Lodge off-ramp that would require an off-ramp back on to 75 (as stated above, the Rosa Parks on-ramp leads directly onto Fisher).

Going in the southbound direction, traffic coming from the Lodge never merges with Fisher until you get to Michigan Avenue. However, there is an off-ramp allow Lodge traffic to merge with Fisher traffic both going to Jeffries. Both the Lodge and Fisher have their own respective off-ramps leading onto local streets.

In the end, you have the 75/96, 75/Lodge, 75-96/Gateway Crossing, and local exits all overlapping each other.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:09 PM

Last edited by twinpeaks; Jan 9, 2014 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Any more pasta?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 2:37 PM
恭喜发财!

A few from Shanghai

My personal favourite spaghetti junction in the city - Yan'an Elevated Road at North South Elevated Road, right downtown.

S32 Expressway at N-S Elevated Road

Middle Ring Road at Luoshan Road

S20 (Outer Ring Road) - S2 - S1 Expressway

S20 - Yan'An Elevated Road - G50 Expressway

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 4:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The Chinese invented noodles (brought back to Italy by Marco Polo), so it is perhaps fitting that some of the most impressive spaghetti junctions are being built in China. I visited the first one (photo: Yan'an Elevated Road at North South Elevated Road) during my last trip to Shanghai (you can barely make out the pedestrian ring contained within...I spent at least an hour just taking it all in while traveling the pedestrian ring).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 8:35 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Here is what ALDOT is planning to do with three interchanges in downtown Birmingham along a mile stretch of I-20/59. Most people in the area are decidedly against this plan that ALDOT considers to be a $300 million "temporary" fix.

As you can tell from the image, credit goes to ALDOT for its creation.

Brown = roadway to be retained
Violet = bridge/flyover to be retained
Brighter blue = new roadway
Yellow = new bridge
Red = removed roadway
Blue = removed bridge/flyover

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 11:24 PM
TL;DR

Jeez, those colors are terrible... Can't tell existing from proposed in all of that fruit salad.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 3:50 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Jeez, those colors are terrible... Can't tell existing from proposed in all of that fruit salad.
I know right? I think I spent about an hour looking at it before I could actually understand what was going on...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 6:02 PM

Salt Lake City's "spaghetti bowl", I-15 and I-80.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 8:53 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
That reminds me of a really neat interchange on the Ronda in Barcelona... It's like the one at Woodward/696, except the top level is replaced by a traffic circle, and there are some direct ramps between the two depressed roads. It wouldn't meet American standards for turn radius or acceleration distance, but the highest speed limit here is only 80kph (50mph).

flickr/JordiGoetz (+ my stitching)
I think Codemasters might have used that interchange as the inspiration for the Spanish Super Special Stage in Colin McRae Ralley 03.

Video Link

Last edited by scalziand; Aug 26, 2015 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:05 AM
TL;DR

Could be.

America is the "home of the highway" but European highway systems often don't get credit for their sheer complexity. We just bulldozed everything out of the way to erect our massive spaghetti bowls, while European engineers had to figure out how to make do with less space - going underground, reducing turn radii, stacking levels, etc.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 11:18 PM

Photoshopped

[QUOTE=MolsonExport;5815293]
bricoleururbanism
You probably know by now.
Look at the lanes double-sized & you can see the sameness.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 12:52 AM

Toronto's 4 most impressive spagetti roadways:

Hwy 409 / Airport

Hwy 400 / Hwy 407

Hwy 401 / Hwy 427

Hwy 401 / Hwy 403 / Hwy 410

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 12:20 PM

Boston's South Bay Interchange part of the Big Dig

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nterchange.jpg
Garrett A Wollman, Photographer

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...change.svg.png

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 3:38 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^Gotta love that the white building practically in the middle of the interchange is the MASS DOT headquarters

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation