An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

bricoleururbanism

had to post it.
If an accident were to happen...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 5:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Any more? I would especially like to see new spaghetti junctions from China.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 8:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:

bricoleururbanism

had to post it.
This is image is so obviously fake. It takes about three seconds to spot the first copied and pasted bunch of autos.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 2:52 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^hence "illusion"
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 3:09 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 1:25 AM

These look cool in there own way now, but man are these things going to look absolutely ancient when highways go completely autonomus in twenty-some years.

Here's my small contribution:
http://playingintheworldgame.wordpre...-have-changed/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 4:09 AM

Dallas' Mixmaster to be reborn as the Horseshoe

I've copied this from a post I made on a 'Crazy Intersections and Interchanges' thread a few years ago. Sorry, if I plagiarize myself.

Any who, since then Elmer's Beer and Wine was torn down and the Mixmaster is to get a $800 million overhaul and a new name, the Horseshoe.

I don't think the uniqueness of the downtown mixmaster in Dallas has been adequately explored.

Reason #1: There is a liquor store IN THE MIDDLE of the mixmaster. I've circled it above in orange. It's located in between the north and south bound lanes of Interstate 35E. It was featured in the movie Robocop as a mock up of Detroit.

Reason #2: You cannot go on westbound I-30 from northbound I-35E without having to exit onto industrial blvd. and vice-versa for the return direction. The ramps are indicated by the orange stripes.

Reason #3: The mixmaster was designed to slip under the archways of the historic Houston Avenue viaduct. They've also added an HOV exit to the viaduct... which is visible on the far right side of this photo.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
chicago's largest is the circle interchange where the dan ryan/kennedy intersects with the ike, just southwest of downtown, but it's an outmoded design from the 60s that has notorious back-ups. i've heard that it's the worst interchange in the nation in terms of back-ups.

source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ge_Chicago.jpg

...snip...
I went to school at UIC (upper left) a very good university with a HUGE inferiority complex, the administration is always comparing themselves to the BIG U of I downstate. The administration had the name changed (just before I started) from UICC Univ of Ill Circle Center, the main reason given was that it was the only university in the world named after a highway interchanged.

It will be interesting to see how far automatic ticketing systems can go in improving the flow in these big cluster f---ks, a prime example being the transition here from N bound on the DanRyan to W bound on the Ike. Consistently jammed all hours of day and night, primarily from the drivers who ignore the Turn Only lane, and race 1/4 mi ahead to force their way in a the very last minute - well after the solid white Don't Cross line. A few cameras, change it from a traffic offense to a civil fine ......

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 3:45 PM
TL;DR

The Circle Interchange project will add a barrier that should prevent this behavior. (You're talking about the SB>WB movement, right?) Visually, the new interchange will resemble the old one, but certain ramps will be widened and rise much higher above Harrison and Halsted.

I was half-hoping for a California stack interchange at the Circle, but it would be a disaster for the neighborhoods that surround it. It also wouldn't be circular anymore.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 4:18 PM

Yes. As shitty as the Circle is at actually handling high volume traffic, it does squeeze into a city block, which is commendable.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 4:20 PM

What's this clusterfuck (supposedly LA). Is it even real?

Source: Wikipedia.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
Off the top of my head the most complicated major road junction (i.e. ignoring the magic roundabouts) in the UK is probably Gravelly Hill Interchange (aka Spaghetti Junction) in Birmingham. The junction consists of several roads, a roundabout, a railway line, and several canals and rivers.
But why would you ignore the magic roundabouts?

The most confusing one I've heard of in the UK is in Swindon. I mean, why? What is even going on here?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 5:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^looks like diagram for making intricate crop circles. Or maybe a template for twirly-whirly ride at the Fair.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 5:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Or maybe a template for twirly-whirly ride at the Fair.
that's exactly what i was thinking. it looks like an abstract blueprint for a tilt-a-whirl carnival ride.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 5:49 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Any more? I would especially like to see new spaghetti junctions from China.
In Chinese, miantiao is "noodle" when talking about food so maybe they're called that there. But, perhaps more appropriate, shagua or bendan can mean something along the lines of "noodle-brained" which might be more appropriate given the complexity of some of these interchanges.

If you look in the photo of the Shanghai interchange posted on the first page, you'll notice that the bottom layer is actually a pedestrian interchange connecting sidewalks over the surface roads. I always appreciated those when I was in Chinese cities and wish the U.S. would do more of that.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 8:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^yeah, when visiting in 2012, I walked through that very pedestrian "circle" which was above the street but below the ramps and expressway junction. It was an awesome experience. There are numerous like it in central Shanghai.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 11:12 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
In Chinese, miantiao is "noodle" when talking about food so maybe they're called that there. But, perhaps more appropriate, shagua or bendan can mean something along the lines of "noodle-brained" which might be more appropriate given the complexity of some of these interchanges.
I've never heard any word for 'interchange' in China other than 立交 (lijiao) which means interchange. I don't know if there's any colloquial slang for a particularly complex interchange.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 2:50 AM

Video Link

Dallas is sinking a 4 lane toll road underneath an existing 8 lane LBJ Freeway.

It's disappointing because with all the money they sank into it, they didn't figure on adding a light rail line through it.

Here's what they have built so far (Ignore the music on this one!):

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 4:15 AM
TL;DR

You have to admit, that LBJ trench is pretty damn cool. It's like something out of Metropolis.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
What's this clusterfuck (supposedly LA). Is it even real?

Source: Wikipedia.
Being an L.A. native..... not its not real... its a couple of our interchanges photoshoped into one picture. the base is actually the 110/105 interchange with some of our others thrown in there... can tell by the neighborhood around it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation