HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 12:31 AM
Show me the blueprints

USPS Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (Replacement for Grumman LLV)

I was thinking there was already a thread for the new USPS delivery van (NGDV) competition but I couldn't find one. Anyways, since a winner was announced yesterday I think it's time it has a dedicated thread. The Postal Service has awarded a contract to Oshkosh for up to 165,000 vehicles. The contract calls for a mix of gas powered and electric drivetrain, though the exact ratio appears to be unknown at this time. The new vehicles are said to be designed so full fleet EV conversion is a possibility through retrofit. As we all know, these are the long awaited replacements for the iconic Grumman LLV, many of which are now over 30 years old. I think they look pretty excellent:

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Feb 25, 2021 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 12:41 AM
Show me the blueprints

The official USPS Press Release:

Feb. 23, 2021

U.S. Postal Service Awards Contract to Launch Multi-Billion-Dollar Modernization of Postal Delivery Vehicle Fleet

Oshkosh Defense Will Finalize Design of Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (NGDV), Delivering Up to 165,000 of the U.S.-Built Vehicles Over the Next Decade

Investment is Part of Soon-to-be-Released, 10-Year Plan to Transform USPS Into the Preferred Delivery Service Provider for the American Public

Modernization to Reduce USPS Fleet’s Costs and Greenhouse Gas Emissions as Cleaner Technologies, such as Electric Powertrains, Power Carrier Routes

WASHINGTON, DC — The U.S. Postal Service announced today it awarded a 10-year contract to Oshkosh, WI, based Oshkosh Defense, to manufacture a new generation of U.S.-built postal delivery vehicles that will drive the most dramatic modernization of the USPS fleet in three decades.

The historic investment is part of a soon-to-be-released plan the Postal Service has developed to transform its financial performance and customer service over the next 10 years through significant investments in people, technology and infrastructure as it seeks to become the preferred delivery service provider for the American public.

Under the contract’s initial $482 million investment, Oshkosh Defense will finalize the production design of the Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (NGDV) — a purpose-built, right-hand-drive vehicle for mail and package delivery — and will assemble 50,000 to 165,000 of them over 10 years. The vehicles will be equipped with either fuel-efficient internal combustion engines or battery electric powertrains and can be retrofitted to keep pace with advances in electric vehicle technologies. The initial investment includes plant tooling and build-out for the U.S. manufacturing facility where final vehicle assembly will occur.

The contract is the first part of a multi-billion-dollar 10-year effort to replace the Postal Service’s delivery vehicle fleet, one of the world’s largest. The Postal Service fleet has more than 230,000 vehicles in every class, including both purpose-built and commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) vehicles. Approximately 190,000 deliver mail six, and often seven, days a week in every U.S. community. The NGDV, along with other COTS vehicles, will replace and expand the current delivery fleet, which includes many vehicles that have been in service for 30 years.

The first NGDVs are estimated to appear on carrier routes in 2023.

“As the American institution that binds our country together, the U.S. Postal Service can have a bright and modern future if we make investments today that position us for excellence tomorrow,” said Postmaster General and USPS Chief Executive Officer Louis DeJoy. “The NGDV program expands our capacity for handling more package volume and supports our carriers with cleaner and more efficient technologies, more amenities, and greater comfort and security as they deliver every day on behalf of the American people.”

The NGDV vehicles will include air conditioning and heating, improved ergonomics, and some of the most advanced vehicle technology — including 360-degree cameras, advanced braking and traction control, air bags, a front- and rear-collision avoidance system that includes visual, audio warning, and automatic braking. The vehicles will also have increased cargo capacity to maximize efficiency and better accommodate higher package volumes stemming from the growth of eCommerce.

“Our fleet modernization also reflects the Postal Service’s commitment to a more environmentally sustainable mix of vehicles,” DeJoy said. “Because we operate one of the largest civilian government fleets in the world, we are committed to pursuing near-term and long-term opportunities to reduce our impact on the environment.”

The Postal Service awarded the Oshkosh Defense contract in accordance with competitive Postal Service procurement policies after extensive testing of prototype vehicles, evaluation of offered production proposals, and discussions of technical specifications with the offerors.

The award is an indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contract, meaning that after an initial dollar commitment, the Postal Service will have the ongoing ability to order more NGDV over a fixed period of time, in this case,10 years. Oshkosh Defense is evaluating which of their several U.S. manufacturing locations is best suited to potentially increase the production rate of the NGDV.

Video remarks featuring Postmaster General Louis DeJoy and other Postal Service executives, and an image of the new NGDV are available on the USPS Newsroom.

The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:10 AM
Show me the blueprints

USPS Chooses Oshkosh Defense to Replace Its Mail-Delivery Trucks

The elderly Grumman LLVs, in service since at least 1994, will be replaced by trucks with airbags and A/C. The design is yet to be finalized, but some will be electric

BY COLIN BERESFORD
FEB 23, 2021

The U.S. Postal Service has awarded Oshkosh Defense the contract to replace the aging Grumman LLV trucks that are currently delivering mail across the country.

The contract includes an initial $482 million investment from the USPS to finalize the design of the Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (NGDV).

The new vehicles will include both battery-electric vehicles and those with low-emission internal-combustion engines. They are expected to be delivering mail by 2023.

The United States Postal Service, after over five years of searching, has awarded Oshkosh Defense of Wisconsin with the contract to replace its aging fleet of mail-delivery trucks. The contract includes an initial $482 million investment from the USPS in Oshkosh to finalize the design of the Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (NGDV) and to begin the tooling of an assembly plant.

The NGDVs will replace the Grumman LLVs which currently serve as the USPS's mail-delivery trucks. The trucks currently in service were manufactured between 1987 and 1994 and were intended to only have 24-year life spans; all have passed that age. The trucks built by Oshkosh are estimated to be delivering mail by 2023.

The NGDVs that Oshkosh will build will include both battery-electric vehicles and low-emission internal-combustion-engine vehicles, both of which will be able to be retrofitted to keep up with the latest EV tech. They will also have air conditioning and airbags—both of which the current trucks lack—as well as heat, a 360-degree camera, a front and rear collision avoidance system, and automated emergency braking.

Oshkosh agreed to what is called an indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contract, meaning that the USPS will be able to order more of the vehicles throughout the 10-year contract. During that time, the contract stipulates that the USPS will order anywhere between 50,000 and 165,000 of the vehicles.

Rest of story

_

_

_

_

_

Last edited by Busy Bee; Feb 25, 2021 at 3:11 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:15 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

I like it. It looks like what a mail truck is supposed to look like, if that makes any sense.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:20 AM
Show me the blueprints

^ I agree. I read it as a pretty excellent balance of utility and style. It could use some tweaking and I understand the design isn't 100% final, but it's a hell of a lot better than some of the other prototypes from the competition. It's not quite as "iconic" as the Rivian Amazon vans but maybe that's a good thing, they may age substantially better. After all, these will probably be on the road for a minimum of 25 years like the LLV's before them. Of course, since everyone's a snark expert, plenty of people have already started to make fun.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 9:26 AM

I just hope this deal has been/will be carefully vetted. Considering Louis DeJoy's unique philosophy regarding "improving" the USPS, a contract of this size needs to be thoroughly reviewed.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 2:08 PM

There was a big pump and dump of Workhorse's stock leading up to their loss of this contract. I looked up their physical address outside Cincinnati and got this sleepy little warehouse across from a swimming pool supply company:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2845...4!8i8192?hl=en

They do have a "factory", exactly 1 mile over the Indiana border, no doubt due to some sort of tax incentive:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wo....8277455?hl=en

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 6:05 PM

From commondreams.org

Quote:
'It Definitely Stinks': Lawmaker Demands SEC Probe of Huge Stock Buy Just Before DeJoy Announced USPS Vehicle Contract

A Democratic congressman is demanding that the Securities and Exchange Commission investigate a shady $54 million purchase of Oshkosh Corporation stock just hours before scandal-ridden Postmaster General Louis DeJoy announced the decision to award that company with a lucrative 10-year contract to produce a new, largely gasoline-powered fleet of U.S. Postal Service delivery trucks.

"This contract was awarded to Oshkosh Corporation and is worth up to $6 billion," Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio) wrote in a letter to Acting SEC Chair Allison Herren Lee on Monday. "I write to pass along reports of what might be unusual trading of Oshkosh stock that took place less than 24 hours before Postmaster General Louis DeJoy publicly announced the contract decision in front of a House panel on February 23rd."

"Specifically, an over $54 million purchase of OSK, made 20 hours before Mr. DeJoy's announcement, was brought to my attention on social media and in news reports," Ryan continued. "Additionally, it is my understanding that the OSK stock rose significantly prior to the announcement. Given the gravity and serious implications of this contract, I am writing to request that the Securities and Exchange Commission look into this issue as soon as possible."
Read the whole story here.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 11:23 AM

It looks pretty good! The truck isn't very big, but not small too, so there is enough place to put some big orders. Also it is stylish, and if you say that th design isn't 100% final, that's awesome for now. I work in Germany and I usually use parcel delivery service providers that have delievery tracking system sendungsverfolgungpost.de. What I want to say is that they have very similar trucks, even when it comes to size. I guess it is just a perfect way to construct the machines for delievering stuff because I ordered both small and big packages, and the size of such trucks was more that enough even for biggest ones. And it will be pretty cheap to create such machines because you need much less materials for that.

Last edited by leoinehumbert; Jan 3, 2022 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I like it. It looks like what a mail truck is supposed to look like, if that makes any sense.
Wow!! I like it! It’s brand new vehicle. No more old mail truck. That’s from the past. So today, this is for the future!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 2:31 PM
Show me the blueprints

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:32 PM

What a tremendous disappointment. USPS would have been the perfect operator for electric trucks.

Also, how does Louis DeJoy still have his job?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:03 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
What a tremendous disappointment. USPS would have been the perfect operator for electric trucks.

Also, how does Louis DeJoy still have his job?

yeah trump really effed up the usps even further by sticking us with this chief tool -- anyway, here is why we are stuck with the guy:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...uis-dejoy.html

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:45 PM
Show me the blueprints

The whole thing stinks. Who knows, maybe this procurement is killed at the 11th hour or something else changes. I doubt this is the end of the story.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:13 PM

This isn't as good as it could be but it is an improvement from when the USPS committed to only ten percent electric vehicles for its fleet.

USPS will make 40% of its new trucks electric, up from 10%

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy’s new push for EVs brings the agency closer to conforming with President Biden’s far-reaching climate goals

By Jacob Bogage
Washington Post
July 20, 2022

U.S. Postal Service delivery trucks line up outside a Louisville post office earlier this month. The agency has boosted its EV commitment, and now plans to ensure 40 percent of its new fleet is electric. (Luke Sharrett/Bloomberg)

"The U.S. Postal Service pledged Wednesday to electrify at least 40 percent of its new delivery fleet, an increase that climate activists hailed as a major step toward reducing the government’s environmental footprint.

Share with The Post: What’s one way you’ve felt the impact of inflation?
The Postal Service had been set to purchase as many as 165,000 vehicles from Oshkosh Defense, of which 10 percent would have been electric under the original procurement plan. Now it will acquire 50,000 trucks from Oshkosh, half of which will be EVs. It will also buy another 34,500 commercially available vehicles, with sufficient electric models to make 4 in 10 trucks in its delivery fleet zero-emission vehicles.

The announcement comes after 16 states, the District of Columbia, and four of the nation’s top environmental groups sued the mail agency in the spring to prevent the original purchase plan, or compel it to buy more electric trucks. Activists at a minimum want the Postal Service’s fleet to consist of at least 75 percent EVs, though the agency’s Office of Inspector General found that 95 percent of delivery routes are suitable for electrification..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ectric-trucks/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well it's an improvement. I guess it depends on how "fast" the original 165,000 rollout was going to be. If they are going with 25k EV and 25k IC now with Oshkosh, I can see a scenario where the "off the shelf" EV vans they are getting to supliment in the meantime will be phased out after probably 8 years or so since those vehicles are likely not built to the robust standards as the Oshkosh models will. At that point, if the original 25k Oshkosh EV's prove successful after being broken in over several years, a second contract with Oshkosh for another 100,000 EV's could likely be in the cards. Time will tell. Good news nonetheless though.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 6:24 PM

Considering both UPS and FedEx are strongly committed to electrifying their fleets, it makes Louis DeJoy's purchase of the gasoline trucks even more frustrating.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:13 PM

Another problem I have is not just that that the new vehicles would have ICE, but their mileage would be complete garbage as well. I forgot where I read it so take with a grain of salt, but I heard as low as 8.6 miles per gallon. Just, why?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Another problem I have is not just that that the new vehicles would have ICE, but their mileage would be complete garbage as well. I forgot where I read it so take with a grain of salt, but I heard as low as 8.6 miles per gallon. Just, why?
Exactly. I read a similar MPG number in the Washington Post article. USPS could purchase the Ford Transit Connect and get better mileage than 8.6 miles per gallon. Admittedly this is almost entirely city driving with a lot of stopping and starting but I would think the low speeds these vehicles travel would boost the MPG.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation