HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
About as good as Elon Musk offering me $5 sq/ft for my 25 acre hay field a half block from CotA.
Or maybe Elon buys COTA, builds an electric racecar and wins Formula 1 with an American made car

(yes, I know Formula 1 all uses the same engines, shut up, play along)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:48 AM

If I was Epstein I would run, not walk, to the Tesla site and just sit there on the stoop until Elon finally walks by, and then pitch him on a full buyout of the tack, or all the branding rights he could possibly want. There's a lot of positive synergy there if you're Epstein, just a question of how to leverage it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

More news on that 11-story hotel/resort at COTA. What are the odds that gets built?
Small imho. We've been hearing from Epstein about this supposed hotel/water park development at COTA since before it opened. If it was gonna happen, it would have happened years ago.

They're just doing anything they can to try to make the place attractive to potential buyers, imho.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
About as good as Elon Musk offering me $5 sq/ft for my 25 acre hay field a half block from CotA.
'Sup AB?!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 5:12 PM

The zoning change was approved on 1st reading only.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
'Sup AB?!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 3:34 PM

World Challenge racing at COTA right now. https://www.gt-world-challenge-america.com/watch-live

Good racing. Track's a mess. Still big bumps in the T1 braking zone, despite resurfacing. There's been more bump 'shaving' at T3. The esses are a fucking disaster, esp in and out of 5. Big bumps in the T11 braking zone, & even in the T12 braking zone that's just been resurfaced. The big bump between 9 & 10 is still there, too. Looks like most of the rest of the resurfaced areas aren't bad, after some of it being resurfaced 2 & even 3 times this year.

As I was typing above, one of the cars broke its right rear suspension at T5. Wow.

Last edited by turn1; Sep 19, 2020 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 10:04 PM

The Athletic is reporting that NASCAR is bringing a cup race to COTA next year, while the All-Star race moves to Texas Motor Speedway.

Quote:
NASCAR is planning to hold the 2021 All-Star Race at Texas Motor Speedway while taking one of its two Cup Series points races away, a move that is expected to make room for a Cup race at Circuit of The Americas in Austin, The Athletic has learned.

The All-Star Race would move to Texas as a concession for the track losing a date, which would in turn create an opening on the schedule for a points-paying race at COTA. It’s believed the All-Star Race would shift from its traditional May date toward the middle of the season.

...NASCAR so far has declined to bring one of its stock car series to COTA due to its proximity to TMS, which is three hours north of Austin.

That problem would be alleviated by taking a Cup Series race away from TMS and putting the All-Star Race there instead to maintain two NASCAR race weekends per year. This year’s version of the All-Star Race was held at Bristol Motor Speedway due to COVID-19, but usually takes place at Charlotte Motor Speedway. TMS, Bristol and Charlotte are all part of the Speedway Motorsports portfolio of racetracks.

Bobby Epstein, CEO of COTA, politely declined to comment for this story when reached by The Athletic.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx-adam View Post
The Athletic is reporting that NASCAR is bringing a cup race to COTA next year, while the All-Star race moves to Texas Motor Speedway.
Other sites are jumping on this and reporting it as if it's already done, but the original story doesn't seem to say that. Looks like they only say that the TMS move frees up a weekend that could go to COTA or another track.

NASCAR moving All-Star Race to Texas, clearing the way to add a Cup race at COTA https://theathletic.com/2082618/2020...-race-at-cota/

We'll see. It would be cool though. I like NASCAR on road circuits. It's entertaining watching them flop around like fish on the boat deck.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:58 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
Other sites are jumping on this and reporting it as if it's already done, but the original story doesn't seem to say that. Looks like they only say that the TMS move frees up a weekend that could go to COTA or another track.

NASCAR moving All-Star Race to Texas, clearing the way to add a Cup race at COTA https://theathletic.com/2082618/2020...-race-at-cota/

We'll see. It would be cool though. I like NASCAR on road circuits. It's entertaining watching them flop around like fish on the boat deck.
They have too many open wheel racers that transitioned over to stock cars and are good at it. It's not like the good ole days when Dale Earnhardt turned into one of the worst drivers on the track.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
They have too many open wheel racers that transitioned over to stock cars and are good at it. It's not like the good ole days when Dale Earnhardt turned into one of the worst drivers on the track.
I'm thinking more of the cars than the drivers. The drivers aren't so much 'open-wheeled drivers turned NASCAR', but tons of 'em start out in karts now compared to a little while back.

Last edited by turn1; Sep 22, 2020 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 11:47 PM

Also, hearing some talk now that COTA is only (maybe) getting that NASCAR date because Bruton Smith has either bought COTA or is about to do so. So he would still own the date, & would just be using it at COTA.

Also, if this is true, I'd bet he bought only the portion of the property where the track sits. Thus all the recent rezoning maneuvers, to make the remaining property more attractive for sale. This would also explain the rumor that COTA's Bobby Epstein has stepped aside or is out completely.

Last edited by turn1; Sep 24, 2020 at 12:03 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Wonder if Bruton Smith would be interested...I know his forte is NASCAR, but hey, if the price is right.
Oh lookie. My post from August 25th.

Last edited by the Genral; Sep 24, 2020 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Oh lookie. My post from August 25th. Only bragging because I almost never sorta maybe sometimes get it right in my predictions, sort of... that is if this is actually comes to fruition.
Good call!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:29 AM

So we thinkin Speedway of the Americas (SOTA) or Circuit of the Americas Speedway (COTAS)?

Whatever it is, would be great news. Like when a hotel or restaurant gets bought by a new owner, they always come in and give it a new coat of paint or even a complete makeover. COTA would benefit greatly from that treatment. Austin/COTA hosting all of Formula 1, NASCAR, Moto GP and Indycar sure would be exciting and prestigious.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 7:08 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

If Nascar comes to COTA, I'd probably go.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
If Nascar comes to COTA, I'd probably go.
Me, too. NASCAR is nuts on road circuits.

A good question was brought up on another forum re: the Bruton Smith rumor:

Quote:
Given the problems with the ground it sits on, I don't understand why anybody would want this property for racing.

What am I missing??
And that's what I'm wondering too. IF the rumor is true, I would have to assume that he got the track VERY cheap and plans to invest in making a proper repair of the drainage and the substrate, which will cost a lot of money. 

Failing that, I have no idea...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:58 PM
Resident Moron

If a sale is happening I can almost guarantee it comes with a major investment in the facilities (Bruton owns some of NASCARs better tracks) and a major commitment from the FIA for the future.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:07 AM

CNBC has an article about F1's future in the U.S. with Austin being mentioned quite a bit.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/25/new-...in-austin.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 6:39 PM

Hmmm ...

https://twitter.com/eddiegossage/sta...59101304811522

Eddie Gossage ™️
@eddiegossage
Big announcement tomorrow. Surprises! You probably think you know but...

@TXMotorSpeedway | @NASCAR | #NLTX | @IndyCar

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin