HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 5:37 AM

post 297 is beautiful

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 5:39 AM

I love Simon Hall! It's almost deco with a Flash Gordon/Metropolis vibe. I love that style. I wish everything was deco.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 9:42 PM

Completed a few months ago:

George Dean Johnson, Jr College of Business and Economics - Spartanburg, South Carolina

flounderman @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/flounde...mp/4896095043/

jennymunro @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/28150717@N06/4726546174/

Above from http://www.dmsas.com/Our_Portfolio/P...temId=6&pId=75
Quote:
Charged with a vital role in the economic redevelopment and reinvigoration of downtown Spartanburg, the 60,000 square foot, three-story George Dean Johnson, Jr. College of Business and Economics building will be the University of South Carolina Upstate’s first downtown. The College is adjacent to the recently completed David M. Schwarz Architects-designed Chapman Cultural Center, and thus its design reflects a compatibility with its next-door neighbor. The College includes a business incubator space for new ventures in addition to technology-enhanced classrooms and faculty offices. University and city officials see the College as an institution with great potential for the city of Spartanburg and a long-term commitment to higher education in the region. With respect to this long-term vision, the project is in the process of obtaining LEED certification and opened in June of 2010.
http://www.dmsas.com/Our_Portfolio/P...temId=6&pId=75

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 9:49 PM

The above is quite similar (as they are by the same architect) to the 2001 Yale Class of '54 Environmental Science Center.

ragesoss @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/ragesoss/156157281/

Above from http://www.dmsas.com/Our_Portfolio/P...temId=6&pId=53
Quote:
The Yale University Environmental Sciences Center (ESC) integrates teaching and research activities of five distinct University departments: Forestry and Environmental Sciences, Geology and Geophysics, Anthropology, Ecology, and Envolutionary Biology, and the Peabody Museum of Natural History. The ESC is an addition to and inter-connects with the Peabody Museum of Natural History and the Kline Geology Laboratories (KGL), allowing resources to be shared between all three buildings. It is designed to bring together faculty from a variety of disciplines to foster collaborative research and shared resources. Interdisciplinary interaction is encouraged through “commons” (small, informal conversation areas) where researchers, students, and faculty can meet to discuss issues of shared interest. The research laboratories are based on a flexible module that accommodates the wide variety of research activities and methods employed by the various disciplines. The design also incorporates a light well, which serves as the unifying space in the ESC, around which the collections, the majority of research laboratories and offices are arranged. The light well acts as the source of indirect, natural light for the preservation and management areas of the collections, which, due to stringent curatorial UV requirements, have no windows to the outside.

http://www.dmsas.com/Our_Portfolio/P...temId=6&pId=53

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 11:02 PM
Fourth and Main

I love the work of David M. Schwarz Architects. Both buildings look similar to the Buffalo Central Terminal, which is among my favorite historic buildings.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...Terminal_2.jpg

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 2:43 AM
▓▒░

^The similarities are so heavy that I had to flip up and down the page a couple times to pick up the differences.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 1:03 AM

Not perfect but a worthy effort. I would have done more with the window openings but still, quite nice.

The Station At Potomac Yard - Alexandria, Virginia

Images from http://www.gobrick.com/omnigallery/e...ward_name=Gold
Quote:
Project Name: The Station At Potomac Yard

Brick Manufacturer: Hanson Brick www.hansonbrick.com

Brick Distributor: Potomac Vally Brick www.pvbrick.com

Architect: LeMay Erickson Willcox Architects (see note below) www.lewarchitects.com

Landscape Architect: Land Design www.landdesign.com

Builder: The Whiting-Turner Contracting Co. www.whiting-turner.com

Photographer: Eric Taylor Photography www.erictaylorphoto.com

Competition Entered: 2010 Brick In Architecture Awards Competition

Awards Won: Gold

Project Description: The Station at Potomac Yard (Fire Station No. 209) is the first new fire station built in Alexandria in 40 years. The new 21,953 s.f. four-bay station incorporates offices, day spaces, operational support spaces, including HAZMAT response, private bunkrooms with pass-through lockers for 15 fire fighters, on-site training features, and 20 reserved parking spaces in the below grade parking garage. Seizing a unique opportunity, the building design also provides work force housing with 64 apartments located on four floors above the station. A completely separate public entry serves the apartments, which consist of 3, 2, and 1 bedroom units organized around an elevated outdoor terrace located above the apparatus bays and which provides private outdoor activity space for the residents and their guests. Shared spaces include two community meeting rooms, two full levels of underground parking and a ground floor retail space which complete this innovative mixed-use municipal project. The Station is targeting LEED Silver Certification.

http://www.gobrick.com/omnigallery/e...ward_name=Gold

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 1:07 AM
Ex Houstonian

That building is really good looking but they were trying to emulate an 1870s or so train station or courthouse. Whats wrong I think is the tower part of it, it should have been a lot taller, maybe 5 stories taller, although, it would be hard to find a use for a tall slender office space like that. Maybe they should have just left that pyramidal roof off of the building and just made it a flat roof. Doesnt matter though, its a really great building and a lot better than what most other cities get for fire stations.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 11:40 PM

Some better photos of St. Martin's Episcopal Church in Houston, Texas.

Above from http://www.pbase.com/artichoke/image/57010857/original

Three photos above from http://www.castingdesignsinc.com/Ima.../StMartins.htm

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 12:36 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
What in the world, how could I have not known about that? That is amazingly beautiful and incredibly well done.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 4:57 AM

Indeed. It was completed in 2004. The church was one of the more ambitious projects and it seems that few know about it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 6:34 PM
BANNED

There is something not quite right about seeing a cathedral in the middle of a giant parking lot...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
Not perfect but a worthy effort. I would have done more with the window openings but still, quite nice.

The Station At Potomac Yard - Alexandria, Virginia

Images from http://www.gobrick.com/omnigallery/e...ward_name=Gold
Meh, I'd give it a C-. The problem with architects when they try to design traditional is they get the historical proportions wrong. Look at those fat windows and look at the space between them. It makes the whole building look squatty. The ground floor is way too blank, there's hardly any facade depth creating a "wallpaper" type of condition. I've said it over and over again. I have no problems with designing traditional structures, but I think the profession is very poorly educated how to do it properly. We are schooled in modern floorplans and program arrangements and cannot properly interpret them into traditional architecture, but merely apply postmodern gestures to get the job done.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 12:29 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Meh, I'd give it a C-. The problem with architects when they try to design traditional is they get the historical proportions wrong. Look at those fat windows and look at the space between them. It makes the whole building look squatty.
I wouldn't go that far. The spandrels need to be recessed on the tower portion, and possibly in a contrast material. The tower should also pop out a bit more from the adjacent facades.

The roofing material is pretty bad - it looks like (and probably is) plastic. It is to real terra-cotta tile what precast is to limestone, or maybe worse.

Overall, though, I think it's a pretty good composition compared to the vast majority of attempts at traditional styles. I especially like how the apparatus bays are in a low volume that fills in the center courtyard. That avoids the awkward issue of fitting massive garage doors into a traditional facade.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 12:48 AM
TL;DR

The Cap at Union Station - Columbus, OH
David Meleca, Architect

Built over a highway, lining an overpass to make it feel like a regular city street.

191 W. Nationwide Blvd - Columbus, OH
David Meleca, Architect

The arch is salvaged from Columbus' former Union Station.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 6:22 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Wow, thats pretty damned awesome the development over the highway, that should catch on in more cities to connect them back together. I applaud the developer.

\
photo by me from 2 weeks ago.

All 4 of these buildings on the right side of this photo were completed in the past 5 years in Fayettville, Arkansas on Dickson St.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 9:18 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
There is something not quite right about seeing a cathedral in the middle of a giant parking lot...
Definitely!

But a very nice building.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 10:18 PM
cities|transit|croissants

I *love* the Columbus highway deck, but they kind of ruined it architecturally by cheaping out on materials. It needed to be limestone.

And while I like the Alexandria building, I think the lack of details, wrong proportions, and contemporary materials pretty clearly disqualify it from this thread. There are some good examples in Alexandria though.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 10:49 PM
Never Dell

I would guess that weight played a role on the Columbus overpass. Lighter materials would have let them be ambitious in other ways without adding weight, given that the overpass structure has a defined load capacity (unlike a piece of land). Or maybe it was about cost?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 10:53 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Perhaps. Either way it doesn't look great in person.

Still a way cool development, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture