HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

375 East Wacker Drive in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 6:05 PM

Anyone else notice that the windows at the top look different (i.e. the seem to span several floors)?

I presume it may be a health club or some type of amenities floor (or a mac-daddy penthouse). Another thought could be changes for an illuminated crown. Anyone have thoughts?

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Anyone else notice that the windows at the top look different (i.e. the seem to span several floors)?

I presume it may be a health club or some type of amenities floor (or a mac-daddy penthouse). Another thought could be changes for an illuminated crown. Anyone have thoughts?

I have no thoughts after reading Post #124

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm30 View Post
Okay, I'm going to say it because it needs to be said. CS and Arquitectonica need to mate and have some skyscraper offspring.

Am I the only one who sees this...um... relationship between the two?
Hahahaha, I'm sorry, but that is really funny, I actually laughed...

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 7:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Hahahaha, I'm sorry, but that is really funny, I actually laughed...

Yes, but ironically the Chicago Spire looks more "feminine" and Arquitechtonica more "masculine".

The only way this could work: Perhaps Architechtonica is a lesbian and Chicago Spire is her metrosexual male friend who is willing to help her out. But then, wouldn't they want to use the Trump Tower as the turkey baster?

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 8:02 PM

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Yes, but ironically the Chicago Spire looks more "feminine" and Arquitechtonica more "masculine".

The only way this could work: Perhaps Architechtonica is a lesbian and Chicago Spire is her metrosexual male friend who is willing to help her out. But then, wouldn't they want to use the Trump Tower as the turkey baster?
Assuming successful copulation, would the building offspring have Trump's hair?

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 9:31 PM
Chicago 2016

Quote:

the opposite. sc has more masculine qualities.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 10:25 PM

I agree with Dalton, Spire more feminine, though looks masculine. Arquitechtonica masculine but feminine.

If we only had better renderings: problem solved

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 11:00 PM

you guys have ridiculous imaginations

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
So the keyhole wouldn't be blocked by 340 on the park or any other building in LSE?
By definition it can't be, because the Field Blvd / LSD axis is always either roadway or parkland. Where that Axis intersects Randolph is where the LSE down-sloping access road (i.e. Field Blvd) is, so there are buildings to left (360 E.) and right (400 E.) of, but not on, the axis.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:21 PM

Quote:

Oh my...

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:48 PM

Thanks for creating the LSD view Another Punter. This view corridor is exactley why the hole was placed at the top. The Tower will also terminate the McClurg Court canyon to the south, which lines up almost even with the LSD-Field BLVD axis. The glass is a tealish blue-green, and the color renders I have seen show lots of depth and texture on the facade. I knew there would be some that would scratch thier heads on this one, but I love what I have seen and I stand by it. The central portion has very clean virtical piers to be clad in limestone that give the tower an emphasis on virticality.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 9:44 PM

Happy to do my part. Now ChicagoShawn, do yours and sqirrel away, scan in and post some of those color renderings for us. I promise not to tell a soul.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:22 AM

OMG, I love it.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:11 AM

The base looks like a massive parking garage. I'm really hoping that's not what they're planning.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 12:23 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
The base looks like a massive parking garage. I'm really hoping that's not what they're planning.

The base (which I absolutely love) looks like the hotel to me. The parking is probably below Upper Wacker, no (just as for the Regatta and Chandler)?

Also, I counted 79 floors from Upper Wacker. I really like this one. It's different - not just for Lakeshore East but for the entire city, and I can't wait to see it looking south from McClurg in Streeterville and from the Field Museum...

I do hope it's at least a little taller than it appears in this rendering, however. To me, it looks like it's no taller than Aqua....

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:55 PM

Seriously Chicago Shawn, any idea when they plan to release more detailed information on this?

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:19 PM

Just for kicks, the view from McClurg.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:35 PM

Are the trees in the foreground of the rendering Upper Wacker Drive? Does the base go right up against the stub? It'll be nice to have that finished off.

I like the way the hole lines up with McClurg, and the massing isn't bad. It's got potential. If the vertical lines really are limestone, this could look very good. It would be a small fraction of the surface area, it should be doable.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 1:09 AM

Building C @ LSE

There are some major benefits to having one large building on site versus the initial PD of 3 towers crammed on the site.

-The units are not looking into each other.
-Less crowding on site and overall masterplan
-reduce parking levels required and a more efficient structure
-hotel in lower podium levels are better from a security standpoint. They
create and intermediate mass between the podium and tower.
-The slot in the center tower becomes better proportioned to the mass
-larger ballrooms/spa/restaurants due to a centralized tower structure

The tower may not appear as 900'+ in the Tribune image - that may be b/c due to the buildings overall enormous mass.
We are used to seeing pencil thin or tapering masses in our supertalls, but Building C minimizes it's upper mass in an abstract way by creating a nearly 30story needle hole, that will allow a constant change of lighting dynamics. The building will be a beckon of sorts on the riverfront. But seriously, it is as wide as the AON but much less wide than Blue Cross. The site location at the end of UL Wacker is important and a monumental building such as this is appropriate.

Enough hippie talk, as you can see in the BW image, floor to ceiling glass and very fancy banding material creating an elegant mass. The big guys are trying their hardest to minimize the green tint (ala Aqua )

The word is 'Elegant': maybe alittle Bauhaus in theme but this is a super-modern structure with 5-star details and very modern programming. It maybe retro, but so is the new 2009 Camaro convertible that everyone loves.

Just hope that L+A architects have a good lighting designer for the hole and that Architectonica comes up with a fantastic and colorful podium, and a 30 story bright red spiral staircase would make a far-out Willy Wonka's Factory kind of unrealism.

Just my opinion, and note I didn't give out any new information.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive