HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 5:57 AM
skeetskeetskeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Um, excuse me. Los Angeles is not a suburban city.
By Urban Sky:

yeh and thats not even anywhere near downtown

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 2:20 PM
Ku`u Lei

oh blah blah blah.

ya'll are arguing over small potatoes.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 7:16 PM
skeetskeetskeet

youve kinda got a point

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 12:16 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Stop engaging in "versus" trolling of this photo thread, people. The title of the thread is unfortunate but that's already been noted. Enough.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 12:30 AM
Jeepus Africanus

Wonderful photos. I love the way you frame your closeups. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 1:57 AM
L.A. LowRise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Stop engaging in "versus" trolling of this photo thread, people. The title of the thread is unfortunate but that's already been noted. Enough.
Yes daddy.
lol.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Thought I'd already posted in this thread Must have been on SSC
Great pics, and totally makeing me envious - I too wanna go somewhere where it doesn't go down to freezing at night (again - I want spring back!!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Hear, hear. The title is not intended as such, more that LA's fame in Europe is so far greater (simply had a much higher profile in the media for a long time).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 2:20 PM

Great shots.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 5:19 PM

Wow!

Great Pics...nicely done.

I'll be in SF in two weeks, and I can't wait!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 5:20 PM
low life in a tall place

Awesome stuff Ringil. Definitively one of the best photo threads I've seen on SSP.

And don't listen to the haters - keep the euro cockiness up. The forums needs it.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 5:26 PM

Great dynamic photos. San Francisco is definately my favourite U.S. city. I've been to L.A. and I must agree with your little jab in the beginning re: suburbia!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 6:29 PM
still the big cheese

Thx for all the friendly comment. I had a great time in SF. The only bad thing I can think of was the memory problem. I had to prioritize buying the new lens
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmcgov View Post
Decent photos, but...
Wow. I always knew euros to be cocky little pisses, but you take the cake.
I'm sorry but I'm not following. Before I went to CA I did a lot of research (yes i've already seen all those pictures and threads so please stop spamming my thread) In the end since I don't have a car I decided to go with SF which got a smaller, denser city center. Being able to walk from place to place is something I highly value.

Now, in Sweden and in Europe, LA gets all the attention. SF is something you rarely hear of. People only "know" of NYC and LA. Now, in this thread I tried to shread some light on one of the other bigger cities in California, in this case San Francisco. A city which should get more attention and thats why the thread title (whitch was meant for the S&B subforum on ssc) A lovely city indeed with a very friendly population, something I value a lot aswell.
Judging from the personal insults i've gotten in this thread, people from LA tend (atleast on this board) to be anything but friendly. If there'll be a next time I'll make sure not to step on any LA toes, since you tend to get very easily offended.

Now, please stop spamming my San Francisco picture thread (which I've worked quite a lot on) with totally irrelevant, mostly low quality, over-seized pictures of Los Angeles.

Since you made such a big deal of my poor knowledge about what LA inhabitians are the called. Please tell me what a Stockholm inhabitant is called? Now if you dont use the right term, does it give me the right to call you a "cocky little piss" and laugh at you for not knowing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmcgov View Post
this eurohole's ignorant comments.
I have done nothing to you, but that's somthing you don't give a shit about, nor do you read through what I've written in earlier posts. Even if I had meant to criticize LA it still wouldn't have given you the right to insult me. You also seem to have something against Europeans. May i ask you why?

To the rest of you all, if you don't have anything relevant to write about, then please don't write at all.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 6:59 PM
YIMBY co-founder

[color=blue]@dcmcgov - Your personal attacks (as esemplfied in the quotes ringil included in his post) are NOT ok. Quit any and all such now.
/and lol-ing at admins isn't a good way to get noticed either.[/blue]
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 10:38 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Hey ringli, I'll let it go if you apologize for your ignorance of Los Angeles. I was quite justified by me spamming your thread, don't ya think? Sorry, but writing off a city you have never even been to is just ridiculous and clearly you don't know anything about LA. Oh, BTW those pictures I posted weren't of suburbia. I understand that you were trying to do SF justice, but putting down another city based on false accusations is just disgusting and offensive, especially the "nothing but suburbs" part which ALL the LA forumers on SSP and SSC hate. That's not exclusive to just Los Angeles. You put down ANY city based on uneducated arguments and you can expect the the forumers representing said city to respond in an angry manner.

P.S., KCGridlock probably has the best quality photos on this board. "Low quality?"

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Mar 25, 2007 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 11:28 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Hey ringli, I'll let it go if you apologize for your ignorance of Los Angeles. I was quite justified by me spamming your thread, don't ya think? Sorry, but writing off a city you have never even been to is just ridiculous and clearly you don't know anything about LA. Oh, BTW those pictures I posted weren't of suburbia. I understand that you were trying to do SF justice, but putting down another city based on false accusations is just disgusting and offensive, especially the "nothing but suburbs" part which ALL the LA forumers on SSP and SSC hate. That's not exclusive to just Los Angeles. You put down ANY city based on uneducated arguments and you can expect the the forumers representing said city to respond in an angry manner.

P.S., KCGridlock probably has the best quality photos on this board. "Low quality?"
Spamming, hijacking and booster-trolling are *never* justified, nor is ignoring the instructions of an administrator. Enjoy your suspension.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 2:40 AM
Posh

I hope you wore some flowers in your hair.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 2:57 AM

Great pictures of one of my favorite American cities...

Its a shame that a few angry folks from LA had to hijack the tread. As you can tell, there is a significant rivalry and strong feelings between the northern and southern halves of California. I do agree with you that Europeans often overlook San Francisco due to its larger neighbor to the south...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmcgov
LA is literally 7 times the city San Francisco is. Just look at the population figures. San Francisco is one small, but very dense city surrounded by suburbs that are just as sprawling and autocentric as LA suburbs.
Since when did population correlate to what a city can offer?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 1:02 PM
still the big cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post

Its a shame that a few angry folks from LA had to hijack the tread. As you can tell, there is a significant rivalry and strong feelings between the northern and southern halves of California.
Unfortunately this is something we don't get to learn about up here in Scandinavia. But hey atleast the thread got some attention for once!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 7:23 PM

Great Pics Ringil.

It's a shame that the thread evolved into a pissing contest because both cities have a lot to offer. LA does sometimes get a bad rap which I think is sometimes not justified. LA does have some great neighborhoods and nice density in some areas but LA and SF are very different cities and that's the bottom line. SF is unique to California and to the U.S. in general. I have lived here almost 8 years and although it is very small (in land area compared to LA) it never ceases to amaze me almost daily. It does get overlooked but many of the people who do come here enjoy what it has to offer. It's so different from any city in the U.S. and very different from the vibe of Southern California.

The one thing different to me based on the density photos of LA and what I know about SF are the pedestrians. LA has density and cars but in the photos I don't see any people walking about. That's the main difference I've noticed from living in SF and visiting LA. I enjoy both cities but I do prefer a city where I'm not dependent on a vehicle to get me from place to place. To me that's what creates more of an urban feel to a city. It's not a knock on LA just my personal opinion.

Thanks again Ringil for the great photos. Come back and visit soon.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:11 PM

Great pics Ringil.

It looks so Californian. What time of year was it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos