HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 2:50 PM

I believe the JW was influenced by this thread. And I know developers are looking at our comments. When the first renders came out on the JW, they were vehemently opposed by many of us. Very little glass. I did a photo shop and cladded the east wall in glass and shortly afterwards, they came out with a new rendering showing the building clad in glass.
So who's to say with certainty that we didn't influence a design change. If there is a functional reason for a particular design feature like the Independent's crown, then no amount of complaining will change things. Same thing if the budget calls for a certain use of materials. But I think its still worth the time to state our opinions here when warranted, because SkyscraperPage is visited by media and developers. Sometimes a subtle or significant design change can come from public opinion.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 7:28 PM

Wow Deerhoof, Are those your pictures. Amazing lighting clarity and love the angle.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 7:34 PM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 8:52 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I believe the JW was influenced by this thread. And I know developers are looking at our comments. When the first renders came out on the JW, they were vehemently opposed by many of us. Very little glass. I did a photo shop and cladded the east wall in glass and shortly afterwards, they came out with a new rendering showing the building clad in glass.
So who's to say with certainty that we didn't influence a design change. If there is a functional reason for a particular design feature like the Independent's crown, then no amount of complaining will change things. Same thing if the budget calls for a certain use of materials. But I think its still worth the time to state our opinions here when warranted, because SkyscraperPage is visited by media and developers. Sometimes a subtle or significant design change can come from public opinion.
Yeah. I was watching a video on Youtube the other day for a box set of a tv show, and the guy was critiquing it saying that the cover art was kind of underwhelming and even boring. He made a suggestion for what he would have liked to see. Well, I went on to watch another video a couple of minutes later that was reviewing a re-issue of that box set, and the cover art was almost exactly as the first reviewer had suggested it should be. I know there are more things than go into designing buildings than a fan base, but I doubt they don't take serious and fair critiquing into account when it's warranted. It may also be that we've come to think as they do and so it might not be such a coincidence or that they're taking our advice, or maybe it's a combination of those.

By the way, Riverranchdrone, your photos are awesome.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 11:16 PM

Those photos are amazing, Riverranchdrone!

If you like nighttime photos of downtown, follow Dillon Magnuson (@geeksoftly) on Instagram. I don't know him personally, but is feed is great and he includes awesome shots and video in his stories. https://www.instagram.com/p/CDrviEGls7m/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 12:33 AM

Great pictures and WOW!!! Its exciting to see how far along River South is. Can't wait for 2024 when this baby is finally topped out assuming they continue to complete an astonishing 3 floors per year.
Are they trying NOT to build this thing?? Its like they have the same construction workers that worked on the library, only half as many. And we know how long that took to complete. If they were tasked to build the Tesla Gigafactory, the first vehicle to leave the assembly line, in 2054, will run on water and be able to fly.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:10 AM
Meh

Well, Jawa transports are slow.

Utinni!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:32 AM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:03 PM
クラブトクヨ

I'll say it again, our skyline is looking very much Canadian and I am good with that.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 7:25 PM

This picture makes Austin's skyline look massive

https://instagram.com/p/CE8Hf3flbMw/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:24 AM

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:31 AM

I love what you do Riverranchdrone. Thank you!! And may I add that you captured the best angle for viewing Indy's crown. It doesn't look that bad in that picture.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 5:54 AM
Austinite

N-S skyline from the 183/Montopolis bridge (9/18).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 6:25 AM
Voice of the Modern World

13 cranes in that shot

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 1:51 PM

The skyline is HUGE from that area

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:36 AM
Meh

I love the east side skyline views. They're really the best in the city.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 12:24 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

I tried getting a more HQ photo of the one above from the eastside. I ended up sneaking on top of some construction mound in the middle of the night right, at the Chavez/ 5th/ 7th/ 183/ Montopolis interchange. It makes for a great view from the East. I'll post a more zoomed out one that has the rest of Rainey, and the Alexan and Capitol when I get around to editing it in the next couple of days.

Also, there is a bit of an urban canyon effect starting to develop between Chavez and 6th now. It is pretty damn neat!

A City Growing Up by Gabriel Gutierrez, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 3:53 AM
Meh

Man, that's gorgeous!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I love the east side skyline views. They're really the best in the city.
Yeah, and it shows that the south side views has some serious competition, except the south side has better viewing spots and the spread seems wider. I'm always looking out for traffic and trying to take in the east views from I35. 6X is going to make a huge impact on both views but especially the east one. I can just picture it by looking at that night pic. Its disappointing that the Frost crown is not lit, but the Independent's crown is at least a major contributor.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:48 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Yeah, and it shows that the south side views has some serious competition, except the south side has better viewing spots and the spread seems wider. I'm always looking out for traffic and trying to take in the east views from I35. 6X is going to make a huge impact on both views but especially the east one. I can just picture it by looking at that night pic. Its disappointing that the Frost crown is not lit, but the Independent's crown is at least a major contributor.
I think the skyline definitely looks denser and more powerful from the east vs the south. It just looks like a big city from the eastside. From the south it looks picturesque, but not nearly as dense. Personally, I prefer the eastside views all day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin