HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 5:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Spaghetti Junctions: Extensive Highway Interchanges

Spaghetti Junctions: Extensive Highway Interchanges

I am surprised there is no forum yet on this topic (I couldn't find one).

Here is one that I recently visited in Shanghai, Puxi side (not my photos):

wikimedia commons; inautonews.com

This scary bastard (Tom Moreland Interchange) in Atlanta:

roclar.net

On google maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...,0.009978&z=17

The High-Five of Dallas:

wikimedia commons

The Judge Harry Pregerson Monster of Los Angeles:

desktopwallpapers.ru

The Basketweave, on the 401, Toronto:

wikimedia commons
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Last edited by MolsonExport; Aug 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 5:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The turcot interchange in Montreal (under reconstruction):

c/o Richard at the Eco-Senior
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 5:41 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

The one you showed in L.A.'s definitely one of the worst, MolsonExport. There are numerous ones in the L.A. area that are insanely complicated. Some of the ones in Houston and Dallas are crazy as well. And that stretch of the 401, well, I'll get to experience that one this coming weekend, especially since that photo is only a few kilometers from my aunt's place!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 6:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
The one you showed in L.A.'s definitely one of the worst, MolsonExport. There are numerous ones in the L.A. area that are insanely complicated. Some of the ones in Houston and Dallas are crazy as well. And that stretch of the 401, well, I'll get to experience that one this coming weekend, especially since that photo is only a few kilometers from my aunt's place!

Aaron (Glowrock)
The Pragerson (better known as the 110/105) is complicated for a number of reasons: of course, it has huge amounts of traffic, but it also has multiple levels of regulated and priority lanes and a transit station and related facilities and parking.

Quite a view from the air.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 6:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The turcot interchange in Montreal (under reconstruction):

c/o Richard at the Eco-Senior
Great picture. Probably former Soviet design.

btw, are you an information theory buff? Your quote from Rumsfeld is a layman's summary of one of the tenets leading to the conclusion that it is impossible to create algorithms to fully analyze axiomatic models. Comes up in strategic defense planning. I assume Rumsfeld picked it up either at Princeton or at his several tech CEO positions.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 6:35 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Biggest in the DC area is the Springfield Interchange, which includes both of these. It's 24 lanes in the space between them. The construction you see is the addition of HOT lanes to the Beltway, which will add even more ramps to the left one.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 6:46 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
The Pragerson (better known as the 110/105) is complicated for a number of reasons: of course, it has huge amounts of traffic, but it also has multiple levels of regulated and priority lanes and a transit station and related facilities and parking.

Quite a view from the air.
I'm aware of that, pesto. I've driven the 110/105 interchange a number of times. Not too many 5+ level interchanges around, Dallas's High Five notwithstanding...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 6:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

chicago's largest is the circle interchange where the dan ryan/kennedy intersects with the ike, just southwest of downtown, but it's an outmoded design from the 60s that has notorious back-ups. i've heard that it's the worst interchange in the nation in terms of back-ups.

source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ge_Chicago.jpg

milwaukee has a 5 level interchange, the recently re-opened marquette interchange, just south west of downtown.

source: http://www.hntb.com/sites/default/fi...I_2009_072.jpg

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 7:17 PM

Miami has the Golden Glades. The intersection of I-95, Palmetto Expressway, US441 (surface) and SR9 (surface), It's not that impressive looking but it is hell to navigate. It's the only interchange I've seen where you have to exit onto surface roads, including a stop light, to get from one highway to another.'

But it also has a great view of Miami's skylines from atope the HOV lane which flys over the whole thing.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 8:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Great picture. Probably former Soviet design.

btw, are you an information theory buff? Your quote from Rumsfeld is a layman's summary of one of the tenets leading to the conclusion that it is impossible to create algorithms to fully analyze axiomatic models. Comes up in strategic defense planning. I assume Rumsfeld picked it up either at Princeton or at his several tech CEO positions.
not per se, but I am a prof (marketing) and I teach research methods, thus I dabble in theory. I've always liked Rummy's quote on multiple levels.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 9:00 PM

East St Louis is building a new one for the new bridge, with this one just a few miles away.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 9:33 PM

I'm always fascinated by these things. BTW, I can see the house my mother grew up in and her high school (Robert E. Lee) in this pic.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
chicago's largest is the circle interchange where the dan ryan/kennedy intersects with the ike, just southwest of downtown, but it's an outmoded design from the 60s that has notorious back-ups. i've heard that it's the worst interchange in the nation in terms of back-ups.

source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ge_Chicago.jpg
... He says while using a picture that shows the circle nearly empty .

But it's worth pointing out that the interchange actually has a very small footprint in the scheme of things. I'm anxious to see what happens when they eventually rebuild it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
恭喜发财!

Shanghai has a bunch of these, but the largest is probably the Xinzhuang Interchange in south Shanghai. It has 4 freeways (S4 - bottom right, S20 - top centre - centre right, G60 - centre left, Humin Elevated Road - top right) plus surface streets, and passes over both intercity and metro rail.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 12:00 AM
proboscum

Though not exactly a highway interchange, I've always found Toronto's Pearson Airport to be an impressive example of spaghetti manglery:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...13164&t=k&z=17

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 12:29 AM

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 12:34 AM

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 1:02 AM

Man I've always loved these.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 1:14 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Gah, I've been through that interchange with The Connector and I 20 a few times coming from Birmingham. I hate that thing...

Huntsville has one (I-565/US 231/US 431 plus Washington St, Jefferson St, and Oakwood Ave) that's about 3 to 4 miles long. It's more of a slender spaghetti, but it's no less confusing and ineffective (despite it's more recent construction).

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Aug 29, 2012 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 1:23 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I respect how Chicago generally has undersized expressway infrastructure-with some notable exceptions-in a city with otherwise massive infrastructure. If Chicago was in the sunbelt, the Circle would probably be the largest spaghetti clusterfuck east of California, or worse.

Of course, I've been stuck in fubar circle induced traffic ...mental convulsions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation