HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 10:13 PM

Best Place to Eat Lobster... and other local Questions

So I may have an opportunity this summer to travel to Halifax. I've never been (and I am super excited about the idea of visiting) and I will actually be meeting up with some friends that work on a cruise ship. I will only be able to visit them for one day, and they are not from Canada, and I would like to treat them to the best lobster I can find for a reasonable price. I know it's a little touristy to eat lobster in Nova Scotia but it's something that I feel needs to happen while they are here.

They may not have a lot of time to visit on land so I don't imagine that we will be fine-dining or cooking. More like a lunch, I would think. Basically as the title asks; where is the best place to get lobster in Halifax? And I want a place that the locals eat at!

And if we only had time to do one tour in Halifax, should the Citadel be the number one choice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 12:32 AM

I can't speak to the lobster, but on things to see and do... The cruise ship terminal is next to Pier 21 (the immigration museum) and the Seaport Farmer's Market (lots of good local food and crafts, especially on Saturday mornings).

The Citadel is worth the trip if local history and some nice views are of interest.

The cruise ship terminal is also at the end of the harbourfront boardwalk, which leads to the historic properties.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 12:35 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The waterfront is one of the nicest spots to walk in the city and the cruise ship terminal is a part of it, so that part of the visit pretty much handles itself. The Citadel is worth visiting too. You could do an official tour but you can also just walk up. It's maybe a 15 minute walk uphill, and there's stuff to stop and look at along the way. You could probably take a cab up too if you wanted.

I'm not sure if any places do the full on lobster dinner at lunch time but lots of places have lobster rolls. Maritime Lobster Shack in the farmers' market right next to the cruise terminal is supposed to be good, but I've never tried it. Pretty much all of the places along the waterfront are touristy but a lot of them are also good. I'm not really sure what the worst traps are; maybe others know (Salty's?). I had a great meal at Bicycle Thief last time I was back and they're on the water but it's an Italian place. They may have lobster on the menu but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. Lobster is fairly ubiquitous in Halifax and there are lots of restaurants downtown.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:37 AM

Murphy's has a deal where you can get a coupon for lobster dinner if you take a trip on the Harbour Hopper. http://www.mtcw.ca

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 12:36 PM

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm not really sure what the worst traps are; maybe others know (Salty's?).

Salty's upstairs at least was quite good the last few times I've been there. It is owned by McKelvie's up the street.

The worst traps are Murphy's, long considered by me as the worst restaurant in town, and the Waterfront Warehouse, a place that seems to have never figured out how to serve people or prepare food properly.

Our visitor is probably not going to find much in the way of a lobster dinner downtown. I think Salty's downstairs or McKelvies is probably the most likely for that. The issue is that most fine dining places will do a lobster dish, but not just plop a lobster down in front of you because it is a messy proposition. It is more of a casual affair.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
To echo JET, the Bluenose II restaurant, corner of Duke and Hollis, is probably the most unassuming, non-touristy place downtown for a traditional lobster dinner. Which isn't to say it will be cheap: as is the norm, lobster is always sold at "market price", and prices have been high so far this year.

While Keith doesn't favour the Waterfront Warehouse, I've had their lobster dinner during their Lobsterfeast promotions and have not been disappointed. It is on the waterfront, not too far from the cruise ship piers. They're advertising $27 for a lobster dinner right now.

Goldwater Lobster Shack in the Seaport Farmers Market, adjacent to the cruise terminal, will sell you lobster rolls and chowder but not full lobster as far as I know.

For a completely no-frills, lower cost lobster feast, you could always go to the Atlantic Superstore, just a couple of blocks from the pier (next to the train station) and buy cooked lobsters, salads, and whatever other fixings you want. You'd have to ask if they can crack the lobster for you though, otherwise you'll need utensils. Then you could take your lobster picnic lunch to Cornwallis Park across the street, or to a table on the waterfront boardwalk. (Or go a bit farther afield to beautiful Point Pleasant Park.)

So much lobster, so little time.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Salty's upstairs at least was quite good the last few times I've been there. It is owned by McKelvie's up the street.

The worst traps are Murphy's, long considered by me as the worst restaurant in town, and the Waterfront Warehouse, a place that seems to have never figured out how to serve people or prepare food properly.

Our visitor is probably not going to find much in the way of a lobster dinner downtown. I think Salty's downstairs or McKelvies is probably the most likely for that. The issue is that most fine dining places will do a lobster dish, but not just plop a lobster down in front of you because it is a messy proposition. It is more of a casual affair.
Keith is right - in town, you're more likely to find dishes prepared with lobster than a boiled lobster - which, incidentally, should be eaten outside at a lobster pound.

Sometimes "2 Doors Down," on Barrington, a few blocks up from the Harbour, has lobster menu items (not at the moment, thought): http://www.go2doorsdown.com/

You may want to consider oysters as an alternate to lobster - I think there are more and more places that now serve oysters from a variety of sources.

Lot 6, on Argyle, a block further from the Harbour than Barrington, has an oyster happy hour http://lotsix.ca/
The Press Gang, on Prince St. between Argyle and Barrington, has an oyster and champagne bar that my grandmother loves (LOL): http://thepressgang.ca/

The Grill at Five Fishermen (the downstairs, less expensive sister of the Five Fishermen Restaurant) has an oyster happy hour and a boiled lobster dinner: http://www.fivefishermen.com/grill/grill-main-menu/. Five Fishermen Grill and Restaurant are on Argyle St, a block up hill from Barrington, close to a route you might take between waterfront and citadel and overlooking Halifax's version of a Town Square - Parade Square.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post

While Keith doesn't favour the Waterfront Warehouse, I've had their lobster dinner during their Lobsterfeast promotions and have not been disappointed. It is on the waterfront, not too far from the cruise ship piers. They're advertising $27 for a lobster dinner right now....
Interesting: all three of my visits to the Waterfront Warehouse have been disasters. Bad food and worse service.

Superstore is a great suggestion.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 3:53 PM

It's my understanding (though I may be wrong?) that Five Fishermen is one of the better seafood joints in town, though the prices match.

My favourite way to consume lobster is usually in roll form--though if you get a lobster roll and they don't toast the bun, they did it wrong.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Keith is right

Quote:
The Grill at Five Fishermen (the downstairs, less expensive sister of the Five Fishermen Restaurant) has an oyster happy hour and a boiled lobster dinner: http://www.fivefishermen.com/grill/grill-main-menu/. Five Fishermen Grill and Restaurant are on Argyle St, a block up hill from Barrington, close to a route you might take between waterfront and citadel and overlooking Halifax's version of a Town Square - Parade Square.

I had forgotten about that place. It may well be a good choice here.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 7:05 PM

Thank you guys so much for all of the suggestions!! I'm just reading through them now. I definitely like the idea of the lobster rolls. I think that would be unique and perfect for a quick lunch.

I'm definitely open to considering oysters over lobster as suggested.

Thanks again!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 7:07 PM

Thank you guys so much for all of the suggestions!! I'm just reading through them now. I definitely like the idea of the lobster rolls. I think that would be unique and perfect for a quick lunch.

I will be open to an oyster bar. I'm hoping to arrive a day early so that I can time things out (and obviously, I'm gonna try the suggestions).

Thanks again everyone!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment