Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

]
Nice pic

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kv3u4j]

This image is composed a lot like Chicago photographer Angie McMonigal's "Urban Quilt/Patchwork" series, and if anyone (you, she, anyone else) could make one with Vista, Marina City, and another iconic Chicago tower in the shot, I'd be tempted to buy it and frame it. Beautiful job, Harry.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
This image is composed a lot like Chicago photographer Angie McMonigal's "Urban Quilt/Patchwork" series, and if anyone (you, she, anyone else) could make one with Vista, Marina City, and another iconic Chicago tower in the shot, I'd be tempted to buy it and frame it. Beautiful job, Harry.
I hadn't heard of her work, but these are very cool. Link for those curious: https://www.angiemcmonigal.com/site_v2/urban-quilt/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:13 AM

01/23/21

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 10:39 PM

I forgot my password for my old account a while ago but I’ve been lurking for a couple of years now. I saw a photo on Instagram where it seemed like they were adding windows to the mechanical floors on the south side. I wish I knew how to post it here. Here’s the link:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjrAC3g...=1pig60h25hjcn

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 11:49 PM

nice catch creeper, i mean Leu..

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeunamme View Post
I forgot my password for my old account a while ago but I’ve been lurking for a couple of years now. I saw a photo on Instagram where it seemed like they were adding windows to the mechanical floors on the south side. I wish I knew how to post it here. Here’s the link:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjrAC3g...=1pig60h25hjcn
hopefully.... could be snow :/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 1:48 PM

I can't tell what we're looking at there (and I'm not particularly hopeful) but I will say if that is indeed some sort of glass install...

one heck of an epic first post, Leu

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:27 PM

..."Mother of god," the bespectacled executive said aloud to the empty room. He struck the phone so hard it almost fell off his mahogany desk. "Winston!" he yelled and his mousy assistant flew to his desk, clenching his fists nervously to his chest.
..."Yes sir?"
..."In all my years of stewardship at Magellan, I've never seen such uniform criticism of my projects. This cannot stand." He clutched an iPad in both hands, the screen shimmering under his iron grip.
..."Sir, they're just nerds on a forum." He flinched as he said it, knowing his boss hated when he was told something plainly obvious.
..."Winston," he said solemnly, the weight of his years pushing him into the leather chair. "Your years betray you. They delight in upbraiding the Thompson Center. No, they will remember this design oversight for the rest of their days."
...He stood up and walked to the window, the grey sky of Chicago draped over his empire. Shimmering towers that he had built rose around him like sentinels of glass and stone, protecting his kingdom.
..."What if we added windows to the louvers?" he asked.
..."We can do that?" Winston couldn't mask his surprise.
..."We can do anything. We're developers."
..."But sir, it would be admitting that the louvers were a design flaw! Not even Mr. Kamin could admit that."
..."Do it quietly," he said, a finger to his lips. "Wait until it snows. No one will notice, and by the time we've covered them, it will be as if we had just awoken from a terrible dream."
...Without another word, Winston turned and left with his orders. The lambent glow from the iPad faded to black, as if it knew its work was complete.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 5:02 PM

^^Brilliant

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:04 AM

But wait, what will some people complain about now? Please make sure you check in with them if you know them so they have the emotional support to survive the blow

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:24 AM

Where have you been the last 4-5 days? They're over in another post crying about the growing "fultonization" and "faux historic" developments in the West Loop. That board has had their full attention all this week to the point they haven't had time to celebrate or even comment on the recent improvements to the St. Regis. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
But wait, what will some people complain about now? Please make sure you check in with them if you know them so they have the emotional support to survive the blow

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 1:05 AM
Making Chicago Memorable.

[IMG]IMG_7902 by Chicagooan, on Flickr[/IMG]

I hope they are covering up those vents like in this ad on FB! Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 4:32 AM

It looks SOOO much better without the mid level awkward vent.

I highly doubt they will change it. Surprised they are allowed to advertise a fake version of the tower too...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 2:17 PM

Not sure why they would not change it...its a matter of 30 window panels or so...its mind boggling why they would not for something that is a rather easy fix

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 2:48 PM

If those vents really are getting covered up with windows, that means they aren't necessary. Then why were they installed in the first place? Perhaps the vents were needed only during construction?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
If those vents really are getting covered up with windows, that means they aren't necessary. Then why were they installed in the first place? Perhaps the vents were needed only during construction?
If they are being covered with windows, it's most likely there is still a gap between the vents and the windows. The new supertall in NYC, 1 Vanderbilt, has something similar.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 5:01 PM

I wouldn't think they would cover the vent rather then replace the vents with the windows... on the question of why the vents were there in first place is beyond me and would love to find out the reason...I always thought they perhaps ran out those shades of glass on that section and just covered with vents as filler for the mean time but who knows..

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 4:33 AM
BANNED

They’re called louvers, gentlemen. They were installed for a reason, which is to serve mechanical equipment. The only fix that could possibly be done is a 1 Vandy condition as mentioned above, to get the continuous glass look while still allowing for air flow. I’d presume it was just ice/snow buildup but there appears to be swing staging above the area, which is reason for hope!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture