HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 7:27 PM

Keep them coming! Gonna be so much hamilton beer next year.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 8:19 AM

Pretty major work has been happening at the new Arts & Sciences Brewery (formerly the Lakeport brewery).

Looks like the eastern half of the building is being torn down and replaced with parking, a new retail store entrance and some sort of event space.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 2:05 PM

"There's strength in numbers. That's part of the reason Collective Arts Brewing teamed up with Nickel Brook Brewing Co.

This April, the two craft brewers will open Arts & Science Brewing Ltd. on the site of the former Lakeport Brewery on Burlington Street in Hamilton.

In addition to brewing facilities, Arts & Science will feature a 500-person live music venue, art gallery, tasting room, full bar, beer garden and retail store."

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/52...he-beer-store/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 5:05 PM

Three surprising craft beers worth trying right now
(The Globe and Mail, Signe Langford, Jan 12 2015)

With an estimated 150 craft brewers across Canada, creating all sort of exciting new suds every day, it’s reasonable to declare this the golden age of beer. And with one- or two-man operations finding clever ways to brew without investing in huge overhead costs – namely by renting time from existing breweries – this means small, agile, turn-on-a-whim producers can get creative, and take some wild chances with flavours and ingredients. Here are three brews worth trying right now....

Piperales Unfiltered Smoked Amber Ale

Husband-and-wife team Victor and Sonja North of Hamilton are either brave or crazy, or perhaps a bit of both. They just launched their craft brewery – Garden Brewers – not with some easy-drinking, crowd-pleasing lager, but rather with a strong, slightly bitter, smoky and spicy ale brewed with crushed black peppercorns and German, beechwood-smoked malt. It’s beautifully balanced and not so smoky that one couldn’t enjoy a pint or two … with grilled bratwurst, of course! It’s available for $6 to $8 a pint at pubs around Southern Ontario; find it on tap here: gardenbrewers.ca.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 7:35 PM

Brux House

I tried Brux House last week for the first time. Fantastic atmosphere! I'd recommend it. It's nearby me on Locke Street (yes, by the gun store ..damn it, when will that go away).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlstreet View Post
I tried Brux House last week for the first time. Fantastic atmosphere! I'd recommend it. It's nearby me on Locke Street (yes, by the gun store ..damn it, when will that go away).
They have a site (sorry if this is reposted) http://bruxhouse.com/

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 3:49 PM

Garden Brewers showcase the power of local hops

Hamilton Spectator By Saira Peesker February 25, 2015

Garden Brewers, a Corktown microbrew company, and Buttrum's Family Farm have taken second place in a provincial beer competition showcasing local hops.

Competitors in The Great Ontario-Hopped Craft Beer Competition were asked to pair with a local hop grower and make a robust porter that showed off Ontario-grown hops. Garden Brewers' Victor and Sonja North paired with Buttrum's Family Farm to make B.F.F. Porter.

The beer took second to Peterborough's Olde Stone Brewing Company's entry.

Garden Brewers' beer is brewed at Black Oak Brewing Company in Oakville, and available at The Ship, 23 Augusta St., and the Tavern on George, 109 George St.

http://gardenbrewers.ca/

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 3:54 PM

^ Congrats to Victor and Sonja! I've enjoyed their Piperales and I'm looking forward to this Porter.

Too bad the Spec writer didn't do her homework. Black Oak Brewing left Oakville years ago, when it moved to Etobicoke.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 5:47 PM

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Thanks for posting this. I just pushed it over the edge

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 5:16 AM

Collective Arts just started their first brews in the new building on Burlington in the last day or so.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 5:24 PM

Dundas brewery moving ahead

By Hamilton Community News : 28 June, 2015

The city has shifted Dundas' Shed Brewing Company into high gear by removing a holding provision from the zoning of 65 Hatt St.

Craft brewery co-owner Ed Madronich said the move based on a complete submission to Ontario's environment ministry, means a building permit can finally be issued and construction can start.

"We're just excited," Madronich said, noting the brewery could be operating by August.

The Ministry of Environment is currently reviewing the brewery's application. It assesses all air emission sources, including noise, and potential impacts on the surrounding community.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 1:54 PM

Collective Arts opens their retails store TODAY! https://instagram.com/p/7DhTCeyPEW/

I'm hoping to pop by after work to check it out.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Collective Arts opens their retails store TODAY! https://instagram.com/p/7DhTCeyPEW/

I'm hoping to pop by after work to check it out.
Me too.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 7:58 PM

Collective Arts

Dropped by last week-end. As a first time visitor there they give you the whole speil.
I bought a growler and was very impressed.
Very reasonable for a refill.
Hope it catches on. Nothing like a fresh draught.
5 varieties, The growler holds just over 2-16 oz glasses.
All the best!
About time Hamilton as I have been to many smaller communities and they are yrs ahead of us. This may be only the spearhead?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
I bought a growler and was very impressed.
Very reasonable for a refill.
Do you remember how much? It's a drive for me, realistically, but I'll make it if it's fairly good value.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
Do you remember how much? It's a drive for me, realistically, but I'll make it if it's fairly good value.
$5 for the growler bottle which is reusable. $5 to fill it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
$5 for the growler bottle which is reusable. $5 to fill it.
Really? That's very reasonable, I'd say, especially if it's the standard (1.89 litre) size. Even if it's a half-growler, that's good value.

Edit: noticed that bornagainbiking mentioned it's a half-growler. Full-size would have been too good to be true. That's a very fair price, I'd say.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 5:02 AM

The Business of Beer: Shed Brewing

Familiar face runs retail side of Shed Brewing (65 Hatt St., Dundas)

Dundas Star News By Craig Campbell Nov 12, 2015

A brewmaster with more than 20 years of craft brewing experience, and a familiar face from Dundas’ popular retail scene are both part of the team bringing Ed Madronich’s craft brewery vision to Dundas.

With brewhouse tanks ready to set up and connected by a technician coming from Italy in the next couple of weeks, Madronich and partner Shawn Till are as close as they’ve ever been to seeing Shed Brewing Company (Shawn and Ed Brewing) actually producing suds.

“It’s the first time it’s felt like it looks like a brewery,” Madronich said, last week. “It’s exciting.”

Former Domestique Café operator Krys Hines joins the brewery to oversee the retail and customer experience side.

Rob Creighton also joins Shed Brewing after more than eight years with the multi-award winning Grand River Brewing. Creighton previously worked for Algonquin Brewing and Upper Canada Brewing after first learning the trade as a student at Labatt’s.

Madronich said Creighton has already moved from Cambridge to Dundas.

He said both Hines and Creighton share the community-based, specialized environment he and Till plan to create at Shed.

“We are laser-focussed on not just doing it but doing it brilliantly well,” Madronich said. “It`s true of the equipment we have, it`s true of the location, and the people we hire.”

There’s still plenty of “finishing touches” – as Madronich likes to call them – yet to complete. But with the various tanks and brewing equipment finally inside the space, and structural construction completed, Madronich is looking forward to the next few weeks.

“We’re not days away, we’re weeks away,” he said. “I’ll be happy if we’ve got it all going for the New Year.”

Named for the co-owner’s, Shed Brewery’s first product will be a line of at least two lager-style beers – including a regular lager and a dark lager – under the name Lagershed.

In addition, a specialty barrel brewing program featuring beer aged in barrels that have previously stored other types of alcohol - under the name Barrelshed – will also be featured in the brewery’s early days.

“I think that’s where the brewmaster will have fun,” Madronich said. “He will experiment. That will be the real craft of craft beer.”

The customer’s experience inside the retail area – where beer sampling will take place and visitor’s will have opportunities to watch the brewmaster at work – is key to Madronich, and he’s happy to have Hines looking after that side of the brewery.

For Hines, there’s no questioning the commitment and dedication to community coming from Madronich and Till. He noted the fact their names are on the sign.

“That shows our confidence,” Madronich said. “We’re proud to put our names on it.”

http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-sto...craft-brewery/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 12:20 AM

Dundas craft brewery expansion would be off site
(Dundas Star, Craig Campbell, Nov 27 2015)

Any significant expansion of Dundas’ Shawn and Ed Brewing Company would take place at a different location, while the flagship Hatt Street craft brewery would continue as a smaller specialized operation, co-owner Ed Madronich told Dundas Community Council this week.

Madronich dropped by Monday’s community meeting to provide an update on the brewery’s progress. And although the brewery is at least a couple months away from marketing its first brew, he said any growth will likely take place away from the historic location at 65 Hatt St. – perhaps at the Dundas industrial park.

“The plan wasn’t to make a huge operation there,” Madronich said. “If…when…we are successful, the plan is to produce the product elsewhere.”

He suggested the smaller Hatt Street location would continue as a specialized brewing location, with tours and tastings, while bulk production could be done at a larger brewery off-site.

In addition to brewmaster Rob Creighton - who has moved to Dundas, and retail manager Krys Hines – the former operator of Domestique Café, Madronich and partner Shawn Till have hired another Dundas resident as the brewmaster’s assistant.

“We really want to look at the community and hire within the community,” Madronich said.

While he said he’s not sure how many people he’ll need to hire, and that he has the core team necessary to start, he does anticipate some additional jobs opening up – likely for a bottling line, and a shipping and receiving department.

Madronich told DCC members he and Till are proud of the work they’ve done in improving and maintaining an historical building – a former 1800’s curling rink and Valley City Manufacturing warehouse.

Madronich said there is still a plan to create a Dundas-only beer. He told a Dundas Probus Club meeting in October 2013 that he was considering the idea of brewing a beer only Dundas residents could buy at the brewery. He hoped to create a buzz around the product.

Monday night, he suggested the Dundas beer might be available only in Valley Town bars and restaurants – and at the brewery for sampling.

“If you step outside Dundas, you can’t get it,” he said.

Read it in full here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation