HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
I'm interested in finding out what everyone's favorite restaurants are. Also, what restaurants you would like to see in Saint John.

Mexi's has always been one of my favourites; I used to eat there with friends weekly or more often when I was a bit younger.

I'm not sure what new restaurants I'd like to see, there are still new ones I haven't tried yet. I think we need a good classy restaurant. I used to like the Top of the Town, but it's not fancy anymore.
'Decimal 81' on Princess is the type of fancy [by most standards] that you'd take a date on a special occasion, definitely a higher class than most restaurants in SJ. I would say 'East Coast Bistro' on Prince William also caters to a slightly more gourmet audience than the average.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
I believe it is Ryan Duffy's. They have two locations now.
Truro and Halifax.......I think possibly Charletown too?
I heard from a "reliable source" that it is Ryan Duffy's. Can anyone confirm? A great addition to Uptown.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
I heard from a "reliable source" that it is Ryan Duffy's. Can anyone confirm? A great addition to Uptown.
True

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 2:08 PM

Rumours are going around about the Keg and Moxi's coming to SJ.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 4:07 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
True
My "reliable source" is in agreement with your sources - perhaps if they're open by Christmas I'll take the girlfriend out and try them!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 4:40 PM
ハルウララ

Friend of mine from Markham is travelling through Saint John this week. I recommended Lord's Lobsters, Churchill's, Britt's, and Mexicali Rosa's.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
My "reliable source" is in agreement with your sources - perhaps if they're open by Christmas I'll take the girlfriend out and try them!
See you there!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 3:17 AM

Jungle Jims is great always enjoy the food and atmosphere especially great for families!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish View Post
Jungle Jims is great always enjoy the food and atmosphere especially great for families!
And the 'all-you-can-eat' wings and things on Wednesdays.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 7:07 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Renovations at the Delta's restaurant (formerly Shuckers) wrapped up about a month ago - they've reopened with an entirely new decor and concept as Mix Resto Bar: https://www.deltahotels.com/Hotels/D.../Mix-Resto-Bar

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:49 PM

Just a quick note to say that Saint John has a great mix of places to eat. I sure hope they are doing well!
The old saying is "use it or loose it" bods well for this business.
Enjoy our great uptown and do your part to support them!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 10:25 PM

We sure do have some great places to eat, and with this week being Chop Chop week, its a perfect time to try some out for lunch or supper

http://discoversaintjohn.com/event/c...staurant-week/

Seems like every year more and more come on board which is great!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:18 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

For all you tapas lovers out there, Alley Gria is returning to the Uptown dining scene next week! They'll be re-opening on March 14th, co-located with the owners' other restaurant on Prince William Street, Mezzadro.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 12:54 PM

The rebranded Bourbon Quarter ( Now called Cask and Kettle) is now open. If you haven't been there yet, I definitely recommend! Also - Dave's Lobster is now open in the former Magnolia Cafe. I've not been, but have heard great things.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 4:49 PM
Unregistered Loser

It's a shame Mexi's closed. I used to go there a lot when I was younger but still enjoyed it occasionally as I got older. I didn't really care for the bar-like atmosphere of their newer digs.

My last meal there before they closed was among the best I've had though.

RIP Mexi's

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 7:32 PM

The for lease sign is removed from old Mexi's location on Princess and there is brown paper on Windows. Any idea what's going in there, if anything ?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
The for lease sign is removed from old Mexi's location on Princess and there is brown paper on Windows. Any idea what's going in there, if anything ?
I remember something in the TJ a month ago or so stating that somebody has leased the building, and it will indeed be a restaurant again. Would be nice if a National brand opened an Uptown location though. Like Boston Pizza. They have mentioned before they wanted additional locations within Greater Saint John. The one on the East Side is always a beehive, and the one in Downtown Halifax is pretty neat. Much nicer than the generic boxes they make in Power Centre areas. Time will tell, I guess.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
I remember something in the TJ a month ago or so stating that somebody has leased the building, and it will indeed be a restaurant again. Would be nice if a National brand opened an Uptown location though. Like Boston Pizza. They have mentioned before they wanted additional locations within Greater Saint John. The one on the East Side is always a beehive, and the one in Downtown Halifax is pretty neat. Much nicer than the generic boxes they make in Power Centre areas. Time will tell, I guess.
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you and say no, no, no to any chain restaurants. SJ has an awesome selection of originally and unique restaurants and bars uptown, it's a foodies paradise and punches way above it's weight class for a city this size. Leave the chains in the burbs, hoping for chain restaurants or retailers hurts the heart!

Can't wait for my next trip home..heading straight to Port City Royal, it made the top new Restaurants in Canada last year.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you and say no, no, no to any chain restaurants. SJ has an awesome selection of originally and unique restaurants and bars uptown, it's a foodies paradise and punches way above it's weight class for a city this size. Leave the chains in the burbs, hoping for chain restaurants or retailers hurts the heart!

Can't wait for my next trip home..heading straight to Port City Royal, it made the top new Restaurants in Canada last year.

Oh, I don't disagree with you on the Foodies Paradise comment whatsoever! It really is. In the past 5-7 years we've added so many new restaurants, I don't think any other city in the province can even come close to what we have to offer in their downtown core. It's nothing short of amazing.

Now with that being said - what we have I've noticed is almost confusing to a lot of the locals. I find what we have now is appealing to the upper class (Decimal 81, Port City Royal) and the Middle Class (Britts, Bourbon Quarter, Cask and Kettle). Personally - I like it that way. It just adds to the amazing vibe. But with that being said. The lower class and even the lower middle class is essentially being left out. They are not going to go to a "Fancy Place" (Yes - I've heard people on social media call Britt's and Picaroons General fancy. I disagree with them. But it is what I've seen.

Now those types of people would definitely gravatate to a more established name like Boston Pizza, or anything really with brand recognition. The way I see it, if we can get the lower classes of people into the Uptown core to a national brand. They will very quickly open their eyes to all the other amazing offerings the Uptown has to offer, and try something more Local or FANCY like Britts.

I dunno... like I said - I really am beyond impressed with what we've been doing Uptown as of late. But I do think a couple National names could be added in. Create more of a critical mass, and everyone can work together cohesively.

Just my two cents.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 5:32 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Now with that being said - what we have I've noticed is almost confusing to a lot of the locals. I find what we have now is appealing to the upper class (Decimal 81, Port City Royal) and the Middle Class (Britts, Bourbon Quarter, Cask and Kettle). Personally - I like it that way. It just adds to the amazing vibe. But with that being said. The lower class and even the lower middle class is essentially being left out. They are not going to go to a "Fancy Place" (Yes - I've heard people on social media call Britt's and Picaroons General fancy. I disagree with them. But it is what I've seen.
Quite frankly this is only going to happen more and more as the Uptown continues to gentrify and grow on its own. I mean this more in regards to there being less room for the lower classes on the Peninsula as they're moved around the city and as the Uptown diversifies and gentrifies in general.

To add to this I know plenty of people who live in other parts of the city who have no idea that all of these changes are happening in the Uptown with all of these new businesses and restaurants. They simply never venture there because it would entail driving in, parking, and then manually finding somewhere on foot. Much easier to drive somewhere else. That's part of the issue, the other is probably exposure. I find media exposure to new businesses in the city pretty poor.

As for chain restaurants, I understand the issue with them wanting to open in the more historic areas (Princess, Prince William) but I think they would be more accepted if they wanted to open somewhere like Union or even King Street, where a chain like Subway is/was located.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces