HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:27 PM

Here comes Target...

So Zellers will fade out and Target will be a part of the Canadian retail landscape starting in 2013. It should add some real competition to the marketplace.

I'd like to see how this shakes down locally. Which HBC stores will convert to what format? Will Target will build any new stores in the Hamilton area? And then, what does Wal-Mart do to counter Target's moves?

Let the speculation begin.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

I doubt they will add new stores just take over the Zellers stores like Meadowlands, Upper James/Rymal, and Centre on Barton.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I doubt they will add new stores just take over the Zellers stores like Meadowlands, Upper James/Rymal, and Centre on Barton.
Any of their big box locations likely stay, Waterdown included.

But would they relocate stores? Upper James and Mohawk could use a better store. Or do they "rationalize" and cut a location here and there?

Do they buy neighbouring space and expand? Apparently they really wanted more space (or at least the room for potential expansion) at Ryckman's Corners.

And do they consider moving the Queenston store - which is reasonably close to the Centre location - further down, maybe to Fiesta Mall? Or do they keep it there knowing Wal-Mart is moving further away in a year or so?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Any of their big box locations likely stay, Waterdown included.

But would they relocate stores? Upper James and Mohawk could use a better store. Or do they "rationalize" and cut a location here and there?

Do they buy neighbouring space and expand? Apparently they really wanted more space (or at least the room for potential expansion) at Ryckman's Corners.

And do they consider moving the Queenston store - which is reasonably close to the Centre location - further down, maybe to Fiesta Mall? Or do they keep it there knowing Wal-Mart is moving further away in a year or so?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 8:05 PM

From what I understand, Target has the 220 leaseholds on Zellers locations once the deal closes. They intend to convert 100-150 of these locations to the Target format ($1 bil in renovations over two years), then will sell off or lease out the remaining locations to other retailers.

Locally, I would guess they will convert to the Target brand at the new warehouse type stores (Shops at Centre, Waterdown, Meadowlands) and 'rationalize' the smaller and/or older locations (U. Sherman and Mohawk, Queenston). Flip a coin on the Upper James and Rymal location, but I'm hedging on it being converted to a Target too.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Locally, I would guess they will convert to the Target brand at the new warehouse type stores (Shops at Centre, Waterdown, Meadowlands) and 'rationalize' the smaller and/or older locations (U. Sherman and Mohawk, Queenston). Flip a coin on the Upper James and Rymal location, but I'm hedging on it being converted to a Target too.
Another option: do they build one new store to consolidate the two mountain locations? There's still some good land on Rymal Road East. Or do they go south? I could see Target and/or Wal-Mart on Upper James somewhere between Twenty and Dickenson Roads in a few years.

And let's throw another question out there: will we see a SuperTarget store in Canada?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:42 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

That's too bad, I like Zellers. my fav is Sherman and Mohawk. It's never crowded.

I've never been to a Target but I think it's just like Walmart

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:09 PM

I saw this coming...

I've seen a few Target trucks on the road and backed-up to some Zellers stores with goods being unloaded..
Same brands carried in their stores as Zellars..
Been in a few Target stores when down in the states, and relaized I was in an American version of our Zellers..
They do own them I think!
Next the Bay will be renamed, once we get used to this take over!
:|

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
That's too bad, I like Zellers. my fav is Sherman and Mohawk. It's never crowded.

I've never been to a Target but I think it's just like Walmart
no it's way better. At least clothes wise.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woreg75 View Post
I've seen a few Target trucks on the road and backed-up to some Zellers stores with goods being unloaded..
Same brands carried in their stores as Zellars..
Been in a few Target stores when down in the states, and relaized I was in an American version of our Zellers..
They do own them I think!
Next the Bay will be renamed, once we get used to this take over!
:|
No, prior to this, Target did not own Zellers although that seems to be a common misconception. They did carry some of the same brands though. Zellers has been trying to be Canada's version of Target for sometime now.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 4:46 PM

A Sales related website has posted their predictions of which Zellers stores they expect to become Targets and which ones will close.

http://sinsblog.com/2011/02/13/sins-...an-store-list/
http://www.salesisnotsimple.com/uploads/targetfinal.pdf

They are predicting that Mohawk and Upper Sherman and Upper James will close with the other area stores becoming Targets. Both Burlington stores will become Targets.

I'm not surprised about Mohawk but Upper James is a bit surprising. It's only their predictions though.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:54 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Sorry to hear about Sherman/Mohawk. but not surprised. i loved that store because no one was ever in there. It will be vacant for about 6 years minimum, maybe a dollorama will take it over, when the land owner finally gives away the rental space.

It really is a shame to see our 60s-70s suburbs now lose to our 90s suburbs.

Wake me up when in-fill really happens in Hamilton. Anywhere in Hamilton.

Question: Is there anything in place of the old Limeride Road, Lime Ridge Mall McDonalds? It closed when the Linc was put in, has any business paying property taxes moved in yet? Really? I don't know. Last time I saw it, it was a rooftop gang hangout and gang tagged.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Question: Is there anything in place of the old Limeridge Road, Lime Ridge Mall McDonalds? It closed when the Linc was put in, has any business paying property taxes moved in yet? Really? I don't know. Last time I saw it, it was a rooftop gang hangout and gang tagged.
IIRC, the last time I drove by there when I was home (October/November) the whole block was still vacant, except for the Suds car wash.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 9:43 PM

Walmart signs deal with Target for 39 Zellers sites

MISSISSAUGA Walmart Canada says it has signed a deal with Target Canada to assume leases at up to 39 sites currently operated by Zellers Inc.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, nor were the locations.

Target signed a deal earlier this year to take over up to 220 Zellers locations from Hudson’s Bay Co. for $1.825 billion.

Target announced the first 105 Zellers locations that it plans to convert to Target stores last month in conjunction with an initial payment. Among those were five stores in Hamilton, Burlington and Waterdown. Another three local sites were not included in the announcement.

The U.S.-based retailer is expected to continue to select additional locations before it makes a second payment in the fall.

Zellers locations that Target acquires, but does not convert to its banner, are expected to be leased back to Zellers or potentially other retailers.

http://www.thespec.com/news/business...-zellers-sites

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 1:48 PM

Last week, Target firmed up the Zellers locations it is picking up as it enters the Canadian market.

In addition to the five previously announced acquisitions in Hamilton/Burlington, Target has now assumed additional Zellers properties at Ancaster Meadowlands, Queenston Place (Queenston and Nash), and County Fair Plaza (Upper Sherman and Mohawk). Meadowlands and Queenston will be converted to Target stores, and Target is transferring the County Fair property to Walmart Canada.

Previously announced local Zellers locations to become Target stores include Upper James at Rymal, The Centre on Barton, Burlington Mall, Appelby Line and the Waterdown locations.

Last edited by markbarbera; Sep 25, 2011 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 7:01 PM
Concerned Citizen

I'm glad to see Walmart taking over the Sherman and Mohawk location. Maybe that will take some of the crowd away from the Upper James location, which is packed all the time.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
I'm glad to see Walmart taking over the Sherman and Mohawk location. Maybe that will take some of the crowd away from the Upper James location, which is packed all the time.
What will happen to the No Frills next door though? Or will this be a grocery free Wal-Mart? I'm guessing it will due to the size of the store.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 11:39 AM

I am guessing there will be a complete rebuild of the plaza with the beer store and credit union going in a streetside podium and the Walmart occupying the footprint of the original building. I doubt the No Frills will be at this location after the rebuild.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 6:33 PM

Four Targets for Hamilton, Burlington

Emily Jackson January 5, 2012 TheSpec.com

Target will have a big footprint in the GTA after its first round of store openings in Canada in spring 2013.

The retail giant released the locations of the first 24 stores it plans to open in March or April 2013. Four stores will be in Toronto and seven more will find homes in the GTA – depending where one draws the boundaries.

Target purchased leaseholds of 189 Zellers sites in early 2011.

“In addition to providing Canadian guests with an exceptional shopping experience, Target looks forward to continuing our strong reputation of being a good neighbour in the Canadian communities in which we will do business,” said Target Canada’s President Tony Fisher in the statement.

The retailer will spend between $10-11 million to renovate each location.

Each store will employ 150 to 200 people, which could provide up to 4,800 jobs for Ontarians. Hiring will take place in 2012.

Target will “engage” with current employees of Zellers to make it easier for them to apply for these jobs, according to the release.

Target plans to open up to 135 stores in Canada, mostly in 2013. It will announce more locations in the coming months.

Burlington, Burlington Mall
Burlington, Millcroft Centre
Hamilton, Centre Mall
Waterdown, Flamborough Power Centre

http://www.thespec.com/print/article/649810

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 4:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Target confirms Hamilton, Ancaster locations

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...ster-locations

Target Corp. has confirmed two Hamilton locations for future stores.

The U.S. retail giant says stores will open in South Hamilton Square at Upper James Street and Rymal Road in Hamilton and the Meadowlands Power Centre in Ancaster.

The Hamilton location is scheduled to open in summer 2013 and will employ approximately 150-200 staff. Hiring will start this year.

This Ancaster location is scheduled to open in summer 2013 as well and will have 150-200 staff.

The company has also announced there will be Target stores in Burlington at the Burlington Mall and the Milcroft Centre, at Hamilton’s Centre Mall and in Waterdown at the Flamborough Power Centre. These stores are set to open in March or early April of 2013.

Target plans to open 125 to 135 stores in Canada, with anywhere between $10 and $11 million being invested into each property to remodel the facilities

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy