HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 3:45 AM
Martian

US - Russia maritime border:

wikipedia

These two islands are located in the middle of the Bering strait. They're only 2.4mi apart and the US - Russia border runs in between. The little one on the left is in the United States - it's called Little Diomede, also known as Sarah Palin's favorite hangout spot . The bigger one on the right - Big Diomede - is in Russia. The international date line also runs in between and the time difference between the two is 21 hours

A few fun facts about our maritime border with Russia, which most people sadly aren't even aware exists: During the cold war it was known as the Ice Curtain and was militarized. Also, another thing that very few people know is that the Bering strait actually freezes over every winter forming an ice bridge, so our maritime border with Russia actually becomes a land border for a few months every year. A few years ago someone actually drove across, I remember reading about it... Fun stuff.

Last edited by Yankee; Nov 8, 2009 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 5:45 AM
low life in a tall place

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
you can just show up in china without a visa? they issue them at airport?
No, you need a visa beforehand, but I have never applied for it in Sweden-- only in other countries (Denmark, Thailand, Hong Kong).

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 7:16 AM

I've been questioned multiple times by Japanese customs, and I'm a fully-registered resident with all the paper work to prove it. I've had agents open my suitcases and rummage through my stuff. Other times I've had agents barely glance at my form before signing it off and waving my stuff through. Really depends on the individual agent you're dealing with.

I will say though, I always get questioned the most by American immigrations and customs. It's not necessarily the tone or manner which can be annoying (I usually end up with friendly - if curt - immigrations and customs agents), its their persistence and the depth of the questions. I understand the necessity of it, but it doesn't feel welcoming at all. It's a turn off, having to deal with that as your first interaction with Americans after landing. I can definitely see why foreign tourists would hate it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 9:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

last while i have found the canada boarder people to be worse then the amaricans and getting worse by the year the amaricans have become more friendly in the last couple yrs

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 3:40 PM

On one side, Quebec (Canada), on left side, Vermont (USA)

Here is the Haskell Free Library and Opera House

Source: tinypic.com

Source: McGill Tribute

WIKI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell...nd_Opera_House

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 4:18 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Santana do Livramento-RS, Brazil and Rivera, Uruguay
Nothing but these 2 flags separates the two nations. As easy as crossing the street. LOL

I loved living in these border towns. The people were so awesome.
Do people in the towns generally know enough of the language of the other town to be able to communicate? Or has a patois developed?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
So at what point does Europe become federal enough to be considered one country, like the U.S. or the U.K.?
Never, hopefully, though I suspect the bureaucrats have different ideas.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 7:22 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Do people in the towns generally know enough of the language of the other town to be able to communicate? Or has a patois developed?
I dont know what a "patois" is, but bear in mind that portuguese and spanish although quite difference (as any american who tried to speak spanish in Brazil can tell you) are both iberian languages, thus, are similar at the same time.

so, although many uruguayans know portuguese and many brazilians in the southermost state know spanish (castillan), in these border cities they will usually speak "portuñol"... which is really a mix of both languages.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 10:00 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
so, although many uruguayans know portuguese and many brazilians in the southermost state know spanish (castillan), in these border cities they will usually speak "portuñol"... which is really a mix of both languages.
And that's a patois. See here.

Portuguese and Spanish are similar enough that it makes you think that, as an erstwhile Spanish speaker, maybe you can pick up Portuguese and become survivalist conversant in a short time, but no...for the life of me, I just cannot understand what Portuguese-speakers are saying. Funny, I've actually heard that Portuguese speakers have an easier time with Spanish than Spanish-speakers have with Portuguese. I wonder if there's some truth to that?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
The title says it all Post pictures of international borders here.

I'll start. Here's the heavily fortified border between the Netherlands and Belgium

wikipedia
If a table was on the border, and one person sat on one side, and another on the opposite side of the table and border, and they split the check.... would one person pay sales take to the Netherlands and the other to Belgium????

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 11:59 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
No, you need a visa beforehand, but I have never applied for it in Sweden-- only in other countries (Denmark, Thailand, Hong Kong).
i thought so. plus there is a huge chinese consulate near me anyway.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 12:39 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post

Whats the property tax situation on this place? And if you park over that line and its prohibited, who gives the ticket?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post

I've heard stories about homes that lie on the U.S./Canadian border.

What about customs? Is it really as easy to cross the border here as it is to cross the street in most towns?

Why can't the whole border be as open as it is here?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 6:17 AM
Martian

Love this sign:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Funny, I've actually heard that Portuguese speakers have an easier time with Spanish than Spanish-speakers have with Portuguese. I wonder if there's some truth to that?
I wouldn't doubt that that's true. Just as with some of the Germanic languages; if you know German and English, you can read and understand Dutch.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:41 PM

Out of my worst 20 border crossings, coming back into the US would count for at least 19 of them. The only bad one not involving the US was a land crossing from Venezuela to Brazil about seven years ago. Took a couple hours, had our bags dumped out on the dirt and everything kicked around (Venezuelan side), then the same exact thing happened on the Brazilian side. Only the Venezuelan side tried to get us to pay a "fee" though. I've crossed that border another time since, without any problem.

Never had any problems in Europe - hell, the last time I went to Paris (last December) our passports weren't even looked at when we got off the plane. They looked at about the first third of the plane, then just waved everyone else through.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
Ever heard of Ceuta and Melilla???
Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish military outposts in Moroccan territory. This is like saying that Cuba and the USA share a border because of the presence of Guantanamo Base on the island.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 6:11 PM
Global Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo
Out of my worst 20 border crossings, coming back into the US would count for at least 19 of them.
I somehow find it mindboggling that even Americans are being questioned by immigration officers while returning to the US. Seriously, what's the purpose...they hardly can't deny Americans entrance into the United States.

I have certainly crossed the outside border of the EU more than 50 or 60 times (airports and land borders) and not once was I questionned by an immigration officer. Only ocassionally by custom agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish military outposts in Moroccan territory. This is like saying that Cuba and the USA share a border because of the presence of Guantanamo Base on the island.
Um...no. Guantanamo Bay is indeed just a military outposts, while Ceuta and Melilla are both cities and home to 76.500 and 69.000 civilians respectively. The same really can't be said about Guantanamo.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 6:13 PM
Repeat!

Military outposts? Ceuta and Melilla are more similar to Gibraltar than Guantanamo. They are considered autonomous cities under Spanish law.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 6:15 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
I somehow find it mindboggling that even Americans are being questioned by immigration officers while returning to the US. Seriously, what's the purpose...they hardly can't deny Americans entrance into the United States.
They're not going to deny Americans entry, but they could certainly decide that they want to go through your stuff/body cavities extra carefully looking for drugs/contraband/anything else illegal or irregular that they can use to delay you for hours of fun.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions