HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:30 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I think this one will eventually look better once the windows and glass balcony railings are in.
I wish I had your optimism - but I've seen too many shitty finished product designs..

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I wish I had your optimism - but I've seen too many shitty finished product designs..
I guess time will tell! At the very least we'll have a few hundred more residents in the core.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:04 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
I guess time will tell! At the very least we'll have a few hundred more residents in the core.
I wonder what the scottish rite building thinks of all this going up around them...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 10:03 PM

You can't see the 6th floor, but they are starting the sixth floor of tower. 40ish% complete height-wise.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 9:33 PM

A few panels of glass have been installed:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:01 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
A few panels of glass have been installed:
That should help this thing look nicer (though I'm more optimistic about the final product than others may be)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
That should help this thing look nicer (though I'm more optimistic about the final product than others may be)
While I still hate it so far, I think this cleans it up a bit, and it does look better. I walk past it nearly every day, so I'll take more pictures as time goes on. Hopefully glass going higher means the pictures will give a better idea of final look. They literally only had these two window panels up.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:02 AM

A few more windows are in as of today. Looks a little better.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:21 AM

Ya I just walked past it today. I think it looks a lot better even with just a few glass panels up. I'm hopeful...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 8:12 PM

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 8:53 PM

Well I’ll be. That actually looks really damn good!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 11:21 PM
Forever forward.

Credit where credit is due... that is some great window wall.

It's too bad they swapped out a bunch of the window wall in the render for precast, considering the quality of the glass.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 2:38 AM

Honestly. If they had done the podium better and used precast for the tower portion it would have been significantly better too. Much of the fine detail with the glass is missing, like the setback glass entranceways and such. The glass looks good in person, but it lacks the details proposed, and is surrounded by God awful precast.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 2:46 AM

We will not start seeing luxury builds that demand the quality you are talking about until the housing market has matured in Hamilton to the point that those types of buildings become financially viable.

The fact is, an 800 sqft condo in Hamilton costs a fraction of what it would cost in say, Toronto or Downtown Burlington. So building a luxury building, with all of those fine details you are talking about would simply not be profitable here. That is why we don't see them. It's as simple as that. Someday we will, I have no doubt. But not in 2020/2021.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 4:35 AM

Quote:
We will not start seeing luxury builds that demand the quality you are talking about until the housing market has matured in Hamilton to the point that those types of buildings become financially viable.

The fact is, an 800 sqft condo in Hamilton costs a fraction of what it would cost in say, Toronto or Downtown Burlington. So building a luxury building, with all of those fine details you are talking about would simply not be profitable here. That is why we don't see them. It's as simple as that. Someday we will, I have no doubt. But not in 2020/2021.
Doesn't Hamilton have the fourth highest price for homes in the nation (large CMAs - Vancouver, Toronto, Victoria,,,then Hamilton). We should then see that no high quality builds are undertaken in Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal....) - cant imagine that is the case. Perhaps its the proximity to Toronto that we measure ourselves not worthy of quality. I think we have some (100 Locke as an example), but for sure could use more .

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Doesn't Hamilton have the fourth highest price for homes in the nation (large CMAs - Vancouver, Toronto, Victoria,,,then Hamilton). We should then see that no high quality builds are undertaken in Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal....) - cant imagine that is the case. Perhaps its the proximity to Toronto that we measure ourselves not worthy of quality. I think we have some (100 Locke as an example), but for sure could use more .
I hear what you're saying, it's a good point. The differences between Calgary, Edmonton, etc., and here is though, they don't have a mega city just 40km away, Toronto. If a developer in the area wants to make more money, they can just build in Toronto.

101 Locke and City Square are fantastic developments, and we need to see more of that. But the reason we don't, seems to point to profit margins.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 5:53 PM

The least this developer could do is clear the ice and snow from the diverted sidewalk.
Should they really need to be reminded that they should treat the neighbourhood with some respect? I've sent emails to developers for similar reasons and I get some response along the line of "we really want to be good neighbours" If you want to be a good neighbour then just do it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
The least this developer could do is clear the ice and snow from the diverted sidewalk.
Should they really need to be reminded that they should treat the neighbourhood with some respect? I've sent emails to developers for similar reasons and I get some response along the line of "we really want to be good neighbours" If you want to be a good neighbour then just do it.
They just don't care. This is the biggest issue of all with condo development in this country, there is no desire to treat the community with any amount of respect. They find a good plot of land, and they do everything as cheap as possible. They don't know the areas, care about the area, or do anything to show they care.

You have mom and pop rentals and new builds and businesses going through hell trying to get zoning, and permits and these developers get everything they want and more. Sure they sometime have to reduce the height, but everything else is let go.

This is my biggest issue with most condo development, that they just don't care. It is seen afterward too, with bad finishes, leaks and things falling apart 5 years after completion.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
They just don't care. This is the biggest issue of all with condo development in this country, there is no desire to treat the community with any amount of respect. They find a good plot of land, and they do everything as cheap as possible. They don't know the areas, care about the area, or do anything to show they care.

You have mom and pop rentals and new builds and businesses going through hell trying to get zoning, and permits and these developers get everything they want and more. Sure they sometime have to reduce the height, but everything else is let go.

This is my biggest issue with most condo development, that they just don't care. It is seen afterward too, with bad finishes, leaks and things falling apart 5 years after completion.
No argument from me there but it's not only condo developers. In another case Coppley at Cannon and NacNab, who have been part of the community for decades completely abused and destroyed the cycletrack in front of their property and did nothing to remedy it since. How is that being a good member of the community? I clear the snow in front of my house.
Regardless, this thread is about Platinum and I don't want to go off on out of topic rants. I just wish something would be done to force these developers into being considerate. It's not too much to ask.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:13 PM
Hamilton Historian

Dear god what is up with vranich putting things up with mismatching colours? Does he just get his parts from 3 different companies or something? He does it on ALL his developments - black here, grey there, white here..

I really don't get it - it just makes it cringey to watch as it's being built because the firs t thing you think is "that's supposed to all be one colour - why are part of it that other colour?"

..seriously.. wtf.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton