HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 7:56 PM

Yes, for those few forum members who live in Ancaster, this year your sidewalks will again simply be cleared, no need to worry.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 10:22 PM

With an increasingly aging population, this should be a city-wide initiative. I am disappointed council continues to defer an important implementation like this until the situation becomes critical. This should have been dovetailed with planning for cycle track snow removal as both would require similar resources.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 6:36 PM

It is pretty bad out there this week. It's been over forty-eight hours since the last snow fell on Hamilton (except for a tiny bit last night), and many sidewalks are still not cleared. Even business owners (as opposed to homeowners) are negligent in this, and even very close to downown. I was on the bus near King and Pearl and saw a guy alighting into knee-deep snow because he wasn't able to jump to the one-foot-wide strip that had been shoveled for not even the whole frontage of the property. The KFC at King and Dundurn didn't even try to shovel, and a goat path has been carved through the snow, right across from one of the busier bus stops in the city. I don't get it- wouldn't a fast food restaurant be interested in making sure people can get to their front doors?

Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious after snowfalls like this that the system isn't working, and the City should take on this responsibility.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 1:22 PM

Something Something Urban/Suburban Divide

City implements traffic calming measures in Waterdown's core
(Flamborough Review, Catherine O'Hara, May 14 2015)

Devices have been temporarily installed to address traffic concerns in the Sealey Park neighbourhood of Waterdown.

The measures include speed humps along Griffin and Main streets, a left turn restriction on Mill Street at Union Street and a new right-in right-out island at the east end of Union Street.

“The traffic calming measures are intended to both slow down traffic and discourage short-cutting using residential streets,” explained Joanne Starr, a traffic technologist with the city’s Public Works department.

Four temporary speed humps were installed in late April. Two are located on Griffin Street, while another set is situated on Main Street South near Sealey Park.

On Union Street, a pork chop-type island was formed using knock down sticks. The island aims to reduce traffic volume by allowing only those travelling south on Mill Street to make a right-hand turn onto Union. Union Street motorists will be forced to turn right at Mill Street. A left turn restriction will prohibit northbound Mill Street traffic from turning onto Union Street.

The implementation of the measures is in direct response to residents’ concerns about cut-through traffic and pedestrian and cyclist safety along Barton, Flamboro, Main, Griffin, Union and Mill streets.

The measures were identified following extensive public consultation with homeowners and finalized by a committee of Sealey Park neighbourhood representatives, which was struck to advise the city’s traffic engineering staff.

The temporary measures, which cost approximately $3,000 each, will remain in place for six months “to allow staff and residents to observe operations,” noted the city’s superintendent of traffic engineering Dave Ferguson.

“Pending the results, additional measures or modifications will be implemented within the neighbourhood,” he said.

Last edited by thistleclub; May 18, 2015 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 7:31 PM

City Cancelled Sidewalk Inspections in 2012 due to Computer Issues
(The Public Record)

An elderly woman who tripped on an improperly-maintained sidewalk has evidently been awarded $200,000 Hamilton municipal tax dollars. It turns out that Public Works failed to inspect sidewalks in 2012 because of a problem with a new computer system they had bought.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 12:00 PM

I have a question for anyone who might be well-versed in such things:

Under what circumstances (if any) is it permissible for a private vehicle to block a sidewalk?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
I have a question for anyone who might be well-versed in such things:

Under what circumstances (if any) is it permissible for a private vehicle to block a sidewalk?
You can apply for a road/sidewalk occupancy permit with the roads dept. office, second floor of City Centre. $50 permit fee I believe.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Priest View Post
You can apply for a road/sidewalk occupancy permit with the roads dept. office, second floor of City Centre. $50 permit fee I believe.
Thanks for this. Do you have to post the permit, I wonder? And there are no other instances?

I'm asking not because I'm interested in doing it, but because I observe it being done rather a lot in Hamilton. I've had to walk in Aberdeen during rush hour a couple of days over the last couple of weeks because of the same moron-mobile parked on the sidewalk for loading. I just want to make sure I'm not wrong and that this isn't somehow allowed.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this. Do you have to post the permit, I wonder? And there are no other instances?

I'm asking not because I'm interested in doing it, but because I observe it being done rather a lot in Hamilton. I've had to walk in Aberdeen during rush hour a couple of days over the last couple of weeks because of the same moron-mobile parked on the sidewalk for loading. I just want to make sure I'm not wrong and that this isn't somehow allowed.
The permit must be posted at the occupancy location. Usually safety signage and traffic cones are a requirement to notify the public and restrict access if required. If a sidewalk is completely blocked, there must be signage to instruct pedestrians of an alternate access route. Safety signage is mostly governed by and should be set up in accordance with the Ministry of Transportation's "Book 7" A permit is valid for a maximum of two week before you must reapply.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Priest View Post
The permit must be posted at the occupancy location. Usually safety signage and traffic cones are a requirement to notify the public and restrict access if required. If a sidewalk is completely blocked, there must be signage to instruct pedestrians of an alternate access route. Safety signage is mostly governed by and should be set up in accordance with the Ministry of Transportation's "Book 7" A permit is valid for a maximum of two week before you must reapply.
Thanks again for the good info. I feel much more justified now.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 11:33 PM

Bad week for people on foot in Hamilton. Earlier this week, a 62-year-old man was killed by a motorist making a right turn out of a parking lot onto York in the west end around 4:00 in the afternoon. Yesterday at 5:00, a motorist struck a 74-year-old at Barton and Catherine and sent him to hospital with serious injuries. The latter was charged with failing to yield; I wonder what happens to the driver who killed that man (but I bet little).

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 1:04 AM

^Best place to raise a child...as long as you don't let them walk ANYWHERE!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Bad week for people on foot in Hamilton. Earlier this week, a 62-year-old man was killed by a motorist making a right turn out of a parking lot onto York in the west end around 4:00 in the afternoon.
Driver in fatal pedestrian crash on York charged

Hamilton Spectator
A 22-year-old Hamilton man is facing a careless driving charge in relation to a fatal collision that killed a 62-year-old pedestrian last month.

The man was crossing in front of 221 York Blvd. around 4 p.m. Nov. 23 when he was hit by a car leaving the parking lot, police said.

He died of his injuries a week later in hospital.

The 22-year-old driver remained at the scene and speed and alcohol were ruled out as factors.

After a nearly month-long investigation by the collision reconstruction unit the driver is now charged with careless driving under the Highway Traffic Act.

Police have not released the victim's identity.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/62...-york-charged/

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 8:37 PM

Hang him high.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 3:38 PM

Centennial Parkway moving from 1970s into the 21st century
(Stoney Creek News, Kevin Werner, May 2 2016)

Imagine Centennial Parkway in the year 2066.

A pedestrian predominated street, with no driveways, building entrances facing the roadway, commercial and retail businesses on the ground floor while people living in high-rises, residents walking along wide sidewalks that have benches and trees to get to the light-rail transit at Queenston Circle or to the GO station at the north end of Centennial Parkway.

Beyond Centennial Parkway to Lake Avenue to the east and the Red Hill Parkway to the west, there would be a mix of low to medium density residential homes, parks and trails winding through the neighbourhood. In the north of the Centennial area, industrial businesses would still thrive as they always have within the community.

It’s a land use and transportation vision that was presented to about 35 people at Lake Avenue Elementary School April 28 by city staff and representatives from Dillon Consulting.

But Paddy Kennedy, planner with Dillon Consulting, said the proposed transformation of the Centennial Parkway neighbourhood could take up to 50 years before it’s completed.

Hamilton planning staff began last year updating the Centennial Secondary Plan area that stretches from the Queen Elizabeth Way to King Street to the south and the Red Hill Parkway to Lake Avenue to the west. In addition, the area is also the subject of a transportation management plan to provide alternative transit options for residents.

It was prompted by the proposed construction of two major transportation areas in the area: the GO Station at Centennial and the LRT which will end at Queenston Circle. Kennedy said those two major transportation nodes will have a significant impact on the area. Centennial Parkway is identified as one of three “sub-regional nodes” in Hamilton, which also includes the downtown and Lime Ridge Mall.

The Go bus station at Centennial Parkway is scheduled to open later in 2016, while the rail station will open in 2019-2020, the same time when construction on the LRT system begins.

“It’s really about preparing for future growth,” said Ward 5 councillor Chad Collins. “It will also look at what type of growth should occur or should be accommodated for the next 20 to 30 years.”

Read it in full here.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 4:39 PM

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 7:30 PM

so they wanna get rid of the newly renovated eastgate, newish canadian tire and yet to open Goodlife fitness where target used to be eh.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 8:07 PM

It's a good thing our LRT will reach all the way down there. Oh wait...

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
so they wanna get rid of the newly renovated eastgate, newish canadian tire and yet to open Goodlife fitness where target used to be eh.
It isn't a proposal for a single massive development by a single developer that wants to start building it all as soon as possible. It's a plan by the city for how they want the area to develop over the next 50 years.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
It isn't a proposal for a single massive development by a single developer that wants to start building it all as soon as possible. It's a plan by the city for how they want the area to develop over the next 50 years.

I hear ya

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure