HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:15 PM
You talkin' to me?

Major Amusement Park in Halifax?

Could happen someday....
I always thought we should have one:

Dad: Amusement park would bring tourists

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE Staff Reporter
Thu. Aug 21 - 5:36 AM

It’s been said metro needs many things to become a major Canadian city, including a large sports stadium, a cultural arts centre, an aquarium, a landmark "icon" on the waterfront and a new convention centre.

But what about a giant amusement park?

John Assoun-Gritten wants to convince Halifax city hall that a site the size of Canada’s Wonderland north of Toronto should be built in Halifax Regional Municipality. He wants to call it Pier Land.

Last week, he started a petition he intends to present to regional council once enough people sign it.

So far, he said, about 100 people have signed the petition, which is available online. Mr. Assoun-Gritten said Wednesday he wants 10,000 signatures.

The Dartmouth father of three said he’s pushing for an amusement park so local children, their parents and American tourists will flock to the site. He said it could cost between $500 million and $1 billion; the money to build it would come from the private and public sectors.

Mr. Assoun-Gritten, who does renovations for a living, said ideally the proposed project should be built somewhere along metro’s shoreline, perhaps in Eastern Passage. He said the Pier Land site could include an Olympic-class sports stadium.

"There’s no draw here," Mr. Assoun-Gritten said of Halifax’s lack of an attraction such as Wonderland.

"They build this and, of course, Americans love piers (with amusement rides), they love fun — and now it’s a draw."

Mayor Peter Kelly plans to meet with Mr. Assoun-Gritten and municipal staff at the end of the month to review his proposal. But the mayor said the proponent has a lot of hurdles to clear before his idea can ever be realized.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Pier Land sounds really hokey, but I agree that it's a bit weird how the city has no real amusement parks. Atlantic Playland is sad and all the others are temporary.

It would be interesting to have a waterfront site that is a little different from what is found in most other places.

Not sure how much money I'd want the public sector to sink into this. I wonder how much public money went into Canada's Wonderland, La Ronde, and others?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:30 PM

I don't like the name, but I like the idea.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:56 PM

I agree we need an amusment park, but I don't think we could support something like Canada's Wonderland. Someting like Upper Clemants Park would be good.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Awfully cold and foggy out there in Eastern Passage. I think I'd choose a different site; more inland.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:15 PM

There used to be fair grounds and public picnics on McNabs, why not put the park at the north end? The Findley Pleasure Grounds used to be there. It would make for one heck of a photo, and would put pressure on improving the ferry system.

Last edited by reddog794; Aug 21, 2008 at 7:42 PM. Reason: I couldn't remember the name.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Awfully cold and foggy out there in Eastern Passage. I think I'd choose a different site; more inland.
Agreed, more inland therefore able to be used more during the short season we have here.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 8:33 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I agree we need an amusment park, but I don't think we could support something like Canada's Wonderland. Someting like Upper Clemants Park would be good.
I'd say something somewhere square in the middle. Canada's Wonderland is too big, but Upper Clements Park is much too small.

And while were on the topic, does anybody have any idea why upper clements park is located where it is? It seems like a horrible business move.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 9:17 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. I would rather have it a bit inland but close enough to see the water...like ontop of a hill. If it is on the water i do like the McNab's Island idea. Maybe at Indian Point (north-east corner) with parking and a ferry/bridge on the nearby land. This would also increase tourism on the island probably make the government to take better care of it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 9:33 PM
we built this city

If not a stadium in shannon park, this might be cool.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
And while were on the topic, does anybody have any idea why upper clements park is located where it is? It seems like a horrible business move.
It was a project of the Buchanan government and was a wholly political move -- the Annapolis Valley MLAs got the taxpayer to pay for the boondoggle in a place nobody ever heard of and far away from any population centers. Just one of many reasons why we have a $12 billion debt.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 11:42 PM

I've always wished we had an Amusement park with real rides... but the horrible name, the Eastern Passage idea and throwing in the idea of a Olympic sports facility makes me think this fellow isn't really serious and hasn't done his homework. Would be awesome tho'. And the island idea is cool.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 11:51 PM
Closed account

With a name change, I certainly like the idea and I do believe Halifax could benefit from (and deserves) something like this.

The problem is that something on the scale of Canada's Wonderland is simply not affordable nor economically sustainable for this region, no matter how many tourists we have. Perhaps something a few times the size of Upper Clements Park.

On the same note, if we are ever to have a large Aquarium, it should be on the waterfront.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 1:12 AM

hahah. This sounds stupid, although I love amusement parks.
Anyone have a link for the petition. I'll sign

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
With a name change, I certainly like the idea and I do believe Halifax could benefit from (and deserves) something like this.

The problem is that something on the scale of Canada's Wonderland is simply not affordable nor economically sustainable for this region, no matter how many tourists we have. Perhaps something a few times the size of Upper Clements Park.

On the same note, if we are ever to have a large Aquarium, it should be on the waterfront.
I say it is possible but they should choose an area that allows growth in the future.

I don't know about a large aquarium but an aquarium of some sort was proposed for Queen's Landing.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 12:50 PM

The local area could never support something the size of Paramount Canada's Wonderland, however something should be built closer to Halifax. Upper Clements Park is a decent park, but the 3 hour drive from Halifax turns a lot of people off. I definitely don't like the idea of putting it next to the water, as mentioned it's way too cold, damp and foggy. Needs to be inland more, maybe next to a lake. I also don't support incorporating a stadium into an amusement park, that should be somewhere by its self.

Something like this might just drive the final nail in the coffin at Atlantic Playland, and would do a serious blow to Upper Clements Park. Atlantic Playland I don't care about, but UCP is still a good park, and I would hate to see it lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog794 View Post
There used to be fair grounds and public picnics on McNabs, why not put the park at the north end? The Findley Pleasure Grounds used to be there. It would make for one heck of a photo, and would put pressure on improving the ferry system.
Not enough room on the former pleasure grounds site; in fact a decent sized park (larger than Upper Clements) would take up a huge portion of the island... and I for one would never want to see that happen.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 2:54 PM
You talkin' to me?

to sign the petition, go to www.pierland.ca

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 3:13 PM
Nashwaaksissy

I took a lot of trips to the White Mountains in New Hampshire when I was little, and there were any number of good mid-sized amusement parks there. Santa's Village and Storyland were the two biggest, as I recall. None were the size of Canada's Wonderland, but they were large enough (bigger than, anything in the Maritimes) and did manage to get a lot of tourists, mostly from Boston...put in a couple of dozen rides for the little kids and a couple of roller-coasters (something severely lacking in this region) and you may be set.

I'd place it somewhere north of Halifax, maybe just off the 102 around Enfield or so. Most amusement parks near major metro areas seem to be about that far outside the city.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 4:07 PM

OMG... that web page is hilarious. Did he get a 6 year old kid to design it? I LOVE the idea of an amusement park... don't get me wrong... but I'm having a very difficult time taking this guy seriously. He may as well call it Krustyland.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 6:38 PM

I've always liked the idea of a good amusement park for the city. But I can't bring myself to sign this petition. This guy is a little over the top for my liking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment