HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 11:22 PM

and what a beautiful artery it is. Can’t wait for the next big cycle track.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 12:14 AM

More of this. So much upside with few or no trade-offs.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:20 AM

I have taken about a dozen rides on this trail already. It is a wonderful public space. There are a few improvements or additions that could be made but as it stands I'm very impressed.Most importantly it is a new bridge between upper and lower Hamilton. There has never been a good way to ride between the two, other than the rail trails. The next step would be the joining of the two ends of the Hunter street cycle tracks.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
I have taken about a dozen rides on this trail already. It is a wonderful public space. There are a few improvements or additions that could be made but as it stands I'm very impressed.Most importantly it is a new bridge between upper and lower Hamilton. There has never been a good way to ride between the two, other than the rail trails. The next step would be the joining of the two ends of the Hunter street cycle tracks.
Makes me wonder, what else could they do to connect the upper & lower cities?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:36 PM

Hunter street is due next spring I believe.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Hunter street is due next spring I believe.
I found some renderings from 2014 of what the lanes might look like in front of the GO Station. It'll likely change, though. Council was upset about their blessed parking being impeded.

Those lanes on Hughson certainly won't be built anytime soon. They're going to Woonerf that street with the LRT... eventually.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 5:54 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
Makes me wonder, what else could they do to connect the upper & lower cities?
Does the HSR "Mountain Climber" program get much use?

Aside from the rail trails and now this, there are probably very limited options available that don't involve converting a lane of traffic on an access road to a set of bike lanes (imagine the raging howls of protest that would spew from certain mountain councilors if something like that were proposed on the Kenilworth Access or Arkledun/Jolley Cut)

Thinking out of the box, a cable car would be a nice idea. People talk about rebuilding one of the incline railways, but that would be far less feasible than an aerial tramway.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Does the HSR "Mountain Climber" program get much use?

Aside from the rail trails and now this, there are probably very limited options available that don't involve converting a lane of traffic on an access road to a set of bike lanes (imagine the raging howls of protest that would spew from certain mountain councilors if something like that were proposed on the Kenilworth Access or Arkledun/Jolley Cut)

Thinking out of the box, a cable car would be a nice idea. People talk about rebuilding one of the incline railways, but that would be far less feasible than an aerial tramway.
I’ve seen some middling use up the Kenilworth Access, but maybe that’s because the stairs are in sight of the traffic circle. To get more people using it, they’ve got to make the Mountain less of a cyclist’s hell

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 12:10 AM

As far as I'm concerned they can keep Woonerfing. The south side of The Gore is essentially a woonerf as it stands. It's a natural connection to move down Hughson to the Go station. I'd like to see the John st cycle track expanded south to at least to Cannon but preferably beyond. It will be a very attractive connection if/when the Pier 8 developments happen.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 12:18 AM

As for alternative routes between upper and lower city, I'd like to see the A-Line LRT enter a tunnel at St Joseph's and travel underground and emerge at it's first upper city stop just south of Fennel. I'm allowed to dream.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:55 AM

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned they can keep Woonerfing. The south side of The Gore is essentially a woonerf as it stands. It's a natural connection to move down Hughson to the Go station. I'd like to see the John st cycle track expanded south to at least to Cannon but preferably beyond. It will be a very attractive connection if/when the Pier 8 developments happen.
Agreed. I would love to see the track extended to Cannon at least and agree it would be huge for Pier 8 residents. I'm also annoyed that yet again, a bridge not owned by the city at John Street was just finished without room for this kind of expansion...

The other nice thing about the mountain climber program is that it costs basically nothing. Maybe $1000 extra a year, for something that is nice to have if you ever need it.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:33 AM

Yes. That new bridge is a complete missed opportunity. Or possibly ignored opportunity.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:41 AM

Quote:
As for alternative routes between upper and lower city, I'd like to see the A-Line LRT enter a tunnel at St Joseph's and travel underground and emerge at it's first upper city stop just south of Fennel. I'm allowed to dream.
There’s been a few plans to dig some tunnels up the mountain back in the 50’s, at Ottawa, Gage, & James too. It’s not impossible...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 12:29 AM
Hammer'd

Is this referring to the new CN bridge North of Barton? Seems like the traffic is usually quiet enough along there that a bike lane isn't even needed, especially when you can just use the lanes on Ferguson a few blocks East.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Is this referring to the new CN bridge North of Barton? Seems like the traffic is usually quiet enough along there that a bike lane isn't even needed, especially when you can just use the lanes on Ferguson a few blocks East.
The point is that it's a missed connection, and that it connects with existing infrastructure. One of the biggest issues in Hamilton and north america in general with cycling infrastructure is the fact that it is so fragmented and that everyone is expected to feel comfortable where you feel comfortable. That John St bridge was a spot to extend the cycling network to Cannon, and it doesn't make sense to have a section in the middle with no infra.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 8:32 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
The point is that it's a missed connection, and that it connects with existing infrastructure. One of the biggest issues in Hamilton and north america in general with cycling infrastructure is the fact that it is so fragmented and that everyone is expected to feel comfortable where you feel comfortable. That John St bridge was a spot to extend the cycling network to Cannon, and it doesn't make sense to have a section in the middle with no infra.
Spot on. There's a definite need to think of transportation in terms of networks.

We do that with highways and arterial roads, and with transit (albeit not as well... politicians still tend to think of routes and modes in isolation). It needs to be the same with bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure, with the same level of consideration for connectivity and safety of the users.

Disjointed cycling infrastructure will affect how it's used, and by whom. There will be riders who are comfortable cycling on a "gap" in the network, but many who will just think "what's the point, I'm risking my life if I try to go that way"

The Keddy Trail will be a major and key connector in the city's bicycling network!

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Dec 3, 2020 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:31 AM

The Escarpment will always be an issue for cyclists, even if you're in good shape.

So how to get people safely and efficiently up and down the hill? I'm not sure about an incline railway or a cable car. How frequently would they run? How convenient would that be?

My fantasy would be something resembling a giant outdoor escalator. Place your bike into a groove of some sort and just step on. Easy peasy. Maybe some day we'll have LRT going up and down the Escarpment. Could we have a car that's just for people with bikes? No seats, just open space.

I don't know. No easy answers there...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 8:57 PM

The Fibroblast Tower had several ways up and down the escarpment. Any version of that seems like a good place to start. Also as I understand it, if the LRT is ever built you will be able to walk on with a bicycle.
Another infrastructure flaw I will raise is the new concrete curbs and knock-down bollards along Hunter and Bay leave no room for a cyclist to enter or exit the lanes except at an intersection or a driveway. It seems like another design flaw to me. There should be a space between the concrete curbs. Any other bicycle riders feel this?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Another infrastructure flaw I will raise is the new concrete curbs and knock-down bollards along Hunter and Bay leave no room for a cyclist to enter or exit the lanes except at an intersection or a driveway. It seems like another design flaw to me. There should be a space between the concrete curbs. Any other bicycle riders feel this?
I've been inconvenienced by them, but have also noticed myself feeling safer where they're in place than any other bike lanes in the city, perhaps including Charlton/ Herkimer. I'm typically a no-fear cyclist who enjoyed usin mountain roads even pre-Keddy trail, made a routine of riding on King and Main pre-Cannon lanes etc, but I still have appreciated the increased sense of safety from the concrete buffer. However I've also thought that you may be right that a few breaks in them to cut across traffic lanes would be a worthwhile feeling-of-safety for convenience exchange.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
I've been inconvenienced by them, but have also noticed myself feeling safer where they're in place than any other bike lanes in the city, perhaps including Charlton/ Herkimer. I'm typically a no-fear cyclist who enjoyed usin mountain roads even pre-Keddy trail, made a routine of riding on King and Main pre-Cannon lanes etc, but I still have appreciated the increased sense of safety from the concrete buffer. However I've also thought that you may be right that a few breaks in them to cut across traffic lanes would be a worthwhile feeling-of-safety for convenience exchange.
I too feel safer in the new lanes. I really enjoy them. It helps keep vehicles out of the bike lanes (although not fully) I just think it would have been better to go bollard - curb - 18" space - curb - bollard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure