HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 6:37 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
That's West Avenue School and I'm not sure if anyone is currently using it. But I think it has a heritage designation.
And that actually holds weight?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 6:58 PM
Closed account

It means you need a rubber stamp from council before the wrecking ball swings. Of course we've got lots of slimeballs who can't even wait that long.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 12:57 PM

West Avenue School is slated for conversion to affordable housing. The conversion is being done by Spallacci Contracting. The city approved the project back in April, but its start is delayed while awaiting funding from the federal government.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 2:20 AM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Don't forget York Street, sorry, "Boulevard." The devastation there should be considered a crime against humanity. I weep when I look at old pictures of York. What the frack were they thinking?
I grew up on a side street off of York Boulevard when it was known as York Street and back in the day it was in worse shape than present-day Barton Street. There were also plenty of sleezy bars that they got rid of too.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 3:12 AM
Closed account

I wonder what they are going to do with the school on Nash Rd and Kentley. There was a sign on it for ages saying it was a future home for a nursing home. Now that sign has been taken down. Again, another closed school sitting empty.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 4:39 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
West Avenue School is slated for conversion to affordable housing. The conversion is being done by Spallacci Contracting. The city approved the project back in April, but its start is delayed while awaiting funding from the federal government.
Judging by what they did with the Terraces on King, I'm glad to see they picked up this project.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 1:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomtown_Hamilton View Post
I grew up on a side street off of York Boulevard when it was known as York Street and back in the day it was in worse shape than present-day Barton Street. There were also plenty of sleezy bars that they got rid of too.
how old are you? the reason I ask is because your view of York may be tainted due to living during expropriation and the impending 'renewal' plan.
Older folks who remember it back long before the city started planning their idiotic renewal say it was a bustling, booming street as evidenced in photos.
Regardless, I'd rather have the potential and streetwall of Barton street than an empty, friggin highway.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 1:53 PM

You must be quite a bit older than I though Boomtown, I believe York Blvd was built in the early 70s.

The quality of the buildings on York looks to be much higher than what is currently on Barton. Streets like those, even if mostly abandoned, are what impresses me when I drive into a city for the first time.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 2:37 PM
Closed account

The school they did change into something worthwhile was the one on the beach. It got changed into restaurant, Barangas. I have never been in it though. My next door neighbour went to that school many years ago. Location was the key for that school though. I forgot what they changed Bell Cairn school into. It's been ages since I went down that part of lakeshore.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
The school they did change into something worthwhile was the one on the beach. It got changed into restaurant, Barangas. I have never been in it though. My next door neighbour went to that school many years ago. Location was the key for that school though. I forgot what they changed Bell Cairn school into. It's been ages since I went down that part of lakeshore.
I believe it's still operating as a training centre for prison guards under the Ministry of Correctional Services.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 7:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Native View Post
I believe it's still operating as a training centre for prison guards under the Ministry of Correctional Services.
The brain gets a bit dusty when you get to my age.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 2:18 PM

The people behind Motel are opening a cocktail bar called Stardust a couple of spots down from Motel.

The people behind Pokeh are opening MaiPai, a tiki bar with Detroit style pizza where Cloud 9 was, close to Sherman.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:10 AM

^Never heard of any of those places...but they sound great! Particularly the Tiki bar!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos