HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 2:40 PM

166-190 Main St West | ?? m | 27, 28, 28 fl | Proposed

The proposals keep rolling in downtown..

A new site plan application for the parking lot bounded by Main, Hess, George, and Caroline.

"To construct a mixed-use development consisting of two 28 storey towers and one 27 storey tower above two base buildings. A total of 826 dwelling units, 749 sq.m. of commercial space and 531 parking spaces"

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 2:45 PM

And... got an email response for the architectural plans quite quickly.

93m tall, Kirkor Architects, Bentall Green Oak as the developer. A big Toronto institutional investor. I'm guessing this will be a giant rental block.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 5:11 PM

Love the density , design could be a bit more exciting. Will be great to see that lot fill in , i hope the George Street treatment will be inviting (not much retail space planned , but would be nice to extend the Hess Village vibe eastward.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 5:21 PM

Nice! Maybe they will demolish the horrible looking motel across the street from it at some point and build something nice there too

Also I wouldn't put much stock in the proposed rendering - as we know the designs tend to change multiple times throughout production.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 6:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

These guys are moving quick, I think the developers bought the land a year or two ago. This will be a huge improvement if this happens since the current lot is an eyesore.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 8:15 PM

ericmacm it'll be fun to see a screenshot on the future skyline model zoomed into Caroline between Main and Hunter once this proposal is included!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 12:42 AM

Wow, another big one for Hamilton, they just keep coming, and it's good to see. Hamilton will be seeing some serious growth over this decade if proposals like these keep popping up every couple of months. BentallGreenOak is a big player in rentals so it'll probably be all rental. I'm excited to plop this one into the model too, it's going to be a beefy one, but I suspect it won't have much impact height-wise considering its neighbours. I'll keep that angle in mind @johnnyhamont, should have something up within the next couple of days.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Last edited by ericmacm; Jul 31, 2020 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 1:43 AM

beauties! loving this for Hamilton!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 1:50 AM

This is a huge block that will change the look and feel of Main Street.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:53 AM

Three towers all the same height...yawn ... Very un-inspired... We are creating an awful table top skyline and it will be horrendous... At least stagger the heights a bit

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Three towers all the same height...yawn ... Very un-inspired... We are creating an awful table top skyline and it will be horrendous... At least stagger the heights a bit
Awful at a distance or up close. I and many others don't care what the city looks like from Burlington, we care about what it looks like walking the street.

Honestly I'm not in love with the street scape of main street side. It ignores that main street will likely not forever be a horrific highway cur through the downtown.

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Awful at a distance or up close. I and many others don't care what the city looks like from Burlington, we care about what it looks like walking the street.

Honestly I'm not in love with the street scape of main street side. It ignores that main street will likely not forever be a horrific highway cur through the downtown.

We should care about what the city looks like from all angles (including Burlington) but my concern is what the city looks like from our escarpment and from within the city itself ... Main Street (HWY 8) is a pathetic excuse of a street ... The amount of drag racing that happens is insane ... I live off of main by Gage park and I can hear the racers all the time

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
We can thank the City's ridiculous escarpment height limit for the table top effect, not much else you can do with an arbitrary height limit and still relatively low rent values to make the pro-forma work on a project of this scale.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 4:44 PM

It's not very exciting but whatever. This area is going to be packed if all these units and surrounding residential gets filled. I'm down as long as people don't believe they have to drive everywhere they go. More and more reason to build LRT. 749 m2 is about 1/10th of the footprint of this block. I'm assuming the couple of buildings at Hess and George are on their last legs. That's the area that will get this small bit of commercial. Main street will continue to be a disaster for pedestrians.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 5:07 PM

@Innsertnamehere do you know if there are there any supporting documents for this development currently available? I'd like to add it into the model but I need a site plan.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 1:44 PM

edit: wrong thread

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 2:15 PM

W O O H O O !

I’ve been dying for something to take up that awful lot for an AGE! Sure the preliminary rendering is unimaginative, but WOW am I excited for this project.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:30 PM

Someone was here today doing some basic measurements or something it looked like.

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 7:47 PM

Looks like soil testing today:

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:02 AM

More soil testing this time in a different section

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton