HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:28 AM

Passing of fenwick16 (Kevin Langille)

Last month MonctonRad noted that fenwick16, one of our more prolific posters over the past decade, had not logged in since last August. I had also wondered where he had gone.

He posted his real name on SkyscraperPage a few times in the past, so I did a search and found that he passed away on September 12 last year:

Quote:
Kevin Langille of Milton passed away on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at age 59. Kevin was born in Pictou, NS. He was a chemical engineer (Dalhousie B Eng and McMaster M Eng) employed with Lancotek Products Inc. in Halton Hills. Kevin will be dearly missed by wife Donna and children Nicholas, Jason and Kimberly. He will also be missed by parents Alex and Louise and by his brothers and sisters Burt (Ann), Allan (Lucienne), Cathy, Carolyn (Howie), Bradley (Kelly) and Naomi (Andy) as well as by his nieces and nephews. He is survived by mother in law Marjorie and predeceased by father in law Ivan Corbett. Cremation has taken place and a family gathering and burial will be held in Nova Scotia at a later date. Donations can be made to Ian Anderson House hospice. (Obituary)
Even though he seems to have moved to Ontario long ago, it's clear he cared a lot about his home province and our city. His contributions to the forum will be missed. Rest in peace!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 11:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks Alps.

Very sad. He was a valuable and prolific contributor. I feared something bad had happened to him when he didn’t respond to the news of the CFL negotiations for Halifax. The stadium thread was his favourite.

59 is too young to die (I’m 60). RIP Kevin, too bad I didn’t have a chance to know you in person.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 11:46 AM

As you can see his passion for Halifax to build a proper stadium was second to none. He made a trip to Halifax to meet with Halifax councillors to push the stadium proposal. He would be thrilled with the current progress on a the Halifax CFL franchise. And if we see the stadium built I think fenwick16's contributions on this forum and in person will have had an impact on this city.

I am re-posting this from the Halifax Stadium Discussion (started by fenwick16). You can see Kevin (fenwick16) pictured on the right.

RIP.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...174940&page=33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
To be honest, I almost chickened out on today's meeting. But I am very glad that I went through with it. Everyone in the Halifax area should be grateful in be in such a friendly part of Canada. The Councillors were great and allowed me to get a picture with them holding a model of a proposed stadium that I took with me to Halifax (I left the model with Councillor Sloane and it is now at City Hall). I also enjoyed seeing Halifax City Hall, it is a great old building.

I received the following message from Councillor Sloane upon returning home (I am back in Ontario now):

Hi Kevin,
It was very nice to meet you today. I hope that you enjoyed meeting with myself and the other Councillors.
As stated in the meeting, the next step should be a meeting of all interested groups so that a cohesive team can start to work together on the scope and to move the members vision forward.

By way of this email, I am requesting that the Mayor to aid in the contact of the other interested parties for another meeting in approximately 3 weeks.

Furthermore, I am requesting that our financial staff to aid with the proposed trust fund idea. Councillor Hendsbee is versed on this and I am requesting that he work on this part of the action.

Thank you again for meeting with us and I look forward to the next steps.
Dawn

Cordially,
Dawn Marie Sloane
District 12 Councillor
Halifax - Downtown
Halifax Regional Municipality

sloaned@halifax.ca

I now realize that the stadium is not a dead project but may very well happen through the city council and HRM residents. The financial support of stadium proponents will be necessary though. There is a strong possibility that a stadium fund can be set up through the HRM and might even be tax deductible (this would be a big bonus).

Here is a picture of the architectural model for the stadium 3D model and the picture taken with the Halifax Councillors.

Left to Right: Councillor David Hendsbee, Councillor Dawn Sloane, Councillor Jerry Blumenthal and me (Kevin Langille). Councillor Jennifer Watts was also present but had to leave the meeting before the picture was taken.

Here is a close up of the model, there wasn't time to finish the base and landscaping. However, I want to give my thanks to Ho Tran Nguyen (Ryerson Interior Design Bachelors Degree program) who worked many late hours along with his wife in getting it done in time for the meeting.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 12:53 PM

So sad to hear - I first joined this forum when I was around 14 or 15 years old. I have always followed but didn't typically post much for a few years (now 30)

His posts were always well written and I'm sure I learned a lot from him, perhaps without knowing.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 6:16 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Last month MonctonRad noted that fenwick16, one of our more prolific posters over the past decade, had not logged in since last August. I had also wondered where he had gone.

He posted his real name on SkyscraperPage a few times in the past, so I did a search and found that he passed away on September 12 last year:

Even though he seems to have moved to Ontario long ago, it's clear he cared a lot about his home province and our city. His contributions to the forum will be missed. Rest in peace!
Thanks for chasing that down. I actually thought of him every time I looked at the CFL thread ever since MonctonRad had noted his absence. Very sad to hear that.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:57 PM

I had been wondering about his absence as well, but I guess didn't think the worst as people get busy and sometimes don't post for awhile. I've done that from time to time.

Very sad to hear of his passing. I will miss his enthusiasm for the city and his regular input on the forum. I always got the impression that he wished he could be here to see all the progress happening in Halifax firsthand.

RIP Kevin.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:03 PM

Echoing the other posts. 59 seems so young, especially these days. My condolences to his family and friends.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:20 PM
we built this city

I remember his significant contributions and he should have something named after him at the eventual stadium! RIP.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:49 PM

fenwick16 will be missed by the entire forum and his absence has been enormous especially in the stadium threads. I never had the chance to meet Kevin but being on this forum for the last ten years with him certainly makes it feel like I knew who he was and what he was passionate about.

He has been given the title of "Honoured Member". This memorial title was also given to one other Halifax forumer (Skyscraper_1) a few years back.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 11:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
fenwick16 will be missed by the entire forum and his absence has been enormous especially in the stadium threads. I never had the chance to meet Kevin but being on this forum for the last ten years with him certainly makes it feel like I knew who he was and what he was passionate about.

He has been given the title of "Honoured Member". This memorial title was also given to one other Halifax forumer (Skyscraper_1) a few years back.
Thanks David, if anyone deserved the title of "honoured member", it is Fenwick16.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:05 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Very unfortunate. Way too young, as others have said.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Thanks David! That's a great tribute.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 9:15 PM

RIP fenwick, always enjoyed reading your posts.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 9:52 PM
ハルウララ

Thanks for doing the work on this.

Sorry to hear of his passing. He will be missed.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:38 AM

So sorry to hear of his passing, he was a great contributor to the forum and I always enjoyed his insights. Condolences to his family.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:09 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I will mirror the thoughts of the other members. I really enjoyed his passion and his knowledge he brought to this forum.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:36 PM

I'm saddened by this news.

I enjoyed his impressive and intricate designs that he shared here, and I appreciated his optimism and determination. I'm sorry to hear of his untimely passing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General