HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 3:17 PM
You can call me David

[QUOTE=3940dxer;5478855]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
And some Then and Nows:

1930s: 6000 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood. I'm surprised to learn this used to be a market.

USC archive

2010: 6000 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood. This is now part of the Sunset Gower Studios, I think.

Photo by Me

Nope, 6000 Sunset was not part of Sunset Gower Studios - but this building has a very unique and interesting history!

Between the 1960's and the 1980's, this was the "Western" part of United/Western Studios (United was down the street, at 6050.) The studios were built by Bill Putnam and were the home to many, many famous recordings. I know all about this building, because I worked there from 1977 to 1981.

What was recorded at Western? Many (if not most) of the hits by the Beach Boys, The Mamas And Papas, Jan & Dean, Johnny Rivers, Frank and Nancy Sinatra, Dean Martin, Rick Nelson, Ray Charles, and many many more. Along with Capital, A&M, and Radio Recorders, this was one of the most famous of the "old Hollywood" sound studios. Hundreds and hundreds of hits were recorded there.

I personally was in the control room of Studio 1 (behind the center produce section!) when Mr. Sinatra recorded "New York, New York". In that building I also worked on sessions with Santana, Jonathan Winters, Abba, Ringo Starr, Dolly Parton, Joe Cocker, The Beach Boys, Herbie Hancock, Barbra Streisand, and dozens more. Needless to say it was a very exciting time in my life!

We had always heard that the building had once been a grocery store and at least two of the echo chambers resembled meat lockers or refrigerated rooms. Now I know that it was true!

I have much info about United/Western on my own web site, at http://studioelectronics.biz/URCNewsletter-13.html

In the 1980's United/Western was sold and became Ocean Way Recording. The 6050 Building is Still Ocean Way but 6000 changed hands again, and then fell into disrepair about 10 years ago. The facility came close to being demolished but was sold at auction to EastWest Studios, and has undergone an incredible multi million dollar renovation - design by Philippe Starck. Despite the plain facade, this new facility is one of the finest and most visually stunning studios in the world.

I did quite a double take, seeing the old photo from the 1930's! sopas_ej, thank you so much for posting it.

Now, it was also said that 6000 Sunset was a movie or stage theater in the 40's or 50's. Does anyone have a photo, or info about that incarnation of this famous building?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ernie...y8cSFAg&zoom=1

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:06 PM
You can call me David

Bill Putnam, sound engineer extraordinaire and founder of United/Western (and my one time boss) engineers a session at 6000 Sunset. Mr. Putnam recorded Frank and Nancy Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., and many others in this room.

Can anyone identify the liquor bottle in the background?

http://www.uaudio.com/about/our-story

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 5:33 PM
You can call me David

All from my personal collection:

Dean Martin listens to playback of a Christmas album at 6000 Sunset

Bing Crosby in session at 6050 Sunset

Frank Sinatra at 6000 Sunset

Liza Minelli at 6000 Sunset

Sammy Davis Jr. clowning around at 6000 Sunset

Johnny Mathis at 6000 Sunset

Last edited by 3940dxer; Dec 16, 2011 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 7:54 PM

Which leads us to Peggy Lee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
Sammy Davis Jr. clowning around at 6000 Sunset

Stella Castellucci was a native of L.A. and a harpist of renown--

Harp in L.A.

A bit of bio: "Stella Castellucci, a native of Los Angeles, CA, is part of a musical family tradtion. Her father, Louis Castellucci, was a member of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra and [descended] from a family of Italian symphonic bandmasters.... Stella began in radio as staff musician for the American Broadcasting Company (ABC) in Hollywood, CA, at the age of 19. Afterwhich, she entered an eight year musical relationship with famed singer and actress, Miss Peggy Lee, where she played harp in jazz sextets and quintets that backed Miss Lee during tours throughout the US." (via Harp in L.A.)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
I am still amazed that Los Angeles has let so much architectural magnificence go to seed. It would be the equivalent of New Orleans (where I grew up) letting go of the Garden District and the entire length of St. Charles Avenue--but being bigger, L.A. has lost even more. Not that I don't understand the economics, demographics, and geographics behind the abandonment, but I'm still staggered. Windsor Hills, Hancock Park, Bel-Air and even Beverly Hills have their charms, but one can only imagine the mature magnificence of these old Los Angeles neighborhoods were they as intact as they were in their heydays.

A perfect example of what you're talking about Gaylord_Wilshire is the Fitzgerald House at 3115 W. Adams Street built in 1903.
This is a tuck pointers' wet dream.

google street view

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fi...s_Angeles).jpg

You know a house is in trouble when an owner can't afford to properly repair the windows. The beautiful arched window has been replaced by two small windows. What to do about the rest of the window? Just fill it in with cheap paneling.

detail

below: Aerial view of the Fitzgerald House showing an apartment building next door to the west and an empty lot to the east
which is now a part of the Fitzgerald property.

below: The apartment building next door is late50s/early 60s kitsch.
It is extremely close to the Fitzgerald and obviously brings down the value of the house.

google street view

______

In the aerial above, the house with the diagonal sidewalk at 25th St. and Arlington Ave. was used as the Fishers' Home in 'Six Feet Under'.
You can glimpse the roof of the Fitzgerald House on the left.

google street view

______

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 15, 2011 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 9:47 PM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7168/6...eceb4696_z.jpg

Not sure if Gracie ever finished the Castle in the Sky, but here she is partying hard with who else.........Bert Rovere!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;5516640]A perfect example of what you're talking about Gaylord_Wilshire is the Fitzgerald House at 3115 W. Adams Street built in 1903.
This is a tuck pointers' wet dream...

I lived in apartment house just east of the empty lot on the corner of Arlington and West Adams...there was at that time, 1951, a wonderful old mansion where the empty lot is today...perhaps there is a picture of it in the archives. I remember wondering who lived there as the only folks I ever saw was a young man who would mow the lawn and tend the gardens.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 10:38 PM

House on Adams Blvd

Last edited by so-cal-bear; Aug 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
A perfect example of what you're talking about Gaylord_Wilshire is the Fitzgerald House at 3115 W. Adams Street built in 1903.
Not to mention (but I will) that the Fitzgerald house was design by Samuel and Joseph Cather Newsom (or just Joseph, depending on the source), who also did Bunker Hill's Bradbury house and the Sessions house in Angelino Heights, among many other buildings.

The property to the east of the house wasn't always part of its lot--on it once stood a house belonging to members of the Joughin family, who owned large acreage in the area. The Fitzgerald house sat on a part of the Joughin tract. The corner steps and stone wall belonged to the original corner house; you'll notice that it doesn't extend past the original east property line of the Fitzgerald house.

Google Street View

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 12:24 AM

Fitzgerald and crime on Adams Street

LAT
James T. Fitzgerald of the Fitzgerald Music Company moved into 3115 West Adams (then numbered 2315) sometime after July 3, 1904, which is when the above appeared in the Times. Within a few years Fitzgerald moved to South Pasadena, only to return in 1911 to the northwest corner of Adams and Western when he bought the Neustadt house (2445 S Western Ave)

LAT November 11, 1907

LAPL

More history of 3115: http://articles.latimes.com/2004/nov...cal/me-manor19

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpjr View Post
I lived in apartment house just east of the empty lot on the corner of Arlington and West Adams...there was at that time, 1951, a wonderful old mansion where the empty lot is today...perhaps there is a picture of it in the archives. I remember wondering who lived there as the only folks I ever saw was a young man who would mow the lawn and tend the gardens.
I've searched everywhere for a photograph of the mansion that once stood at the northwest corner Adams and Arlington but have always come up empty.

Today Gaylord_Wilshire mentioned that the tract was owned by the Joughin family.
Hopefully this clue will lead us to a photograph of the elusive manor. -fingers crossed-

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 6:27 AM

Quote:
I've searched everywhere for a photograph of the mansion that once stood at the northwest corner Adams and Arlington but have always come up empty.
ethereal, I don't know about the NW corner of adams & arlington, but there once was a well known mansion that stood on the SW corner of that intersection....

westadamsheritage.org

westadamsheritage.org

westadamsheritage.org

^ if that's the house you were thinking of, then, yes, for some reason there are almost no really good pics of it, & nothing of it in the usc digital library. that's surprising cuz it was one of the most impressive looking mansions in the adams section of LA. Its north & south sides had white columned porticos, sort of like a White House of LA. The LA unified school dist tore it down over 30 yrs ago in a notorious case of incompetency & negligence.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
The Childs house, which once stood at 3100 West Adams:
LAPL
LAPL
LAPL
LAPL

As with many demolished houses in West Adams, there is a little bit left:
Google Street View
The Childs wall along Adams--it once had a corner entrance with steps (second Childs photo above),
almost identical to that which survives across Adams at the site of yet another demolished house on
the boulevard:
Google Strteet View
The corner lot in this shot is apparently now part of the property of the Fitzgerald house, seen at left.
The whole corner has been on the market for $1.9 million for several years. I haven't yet found out what
house once stood on the corner--whatever it was would have been better than an empty lot, of course,
but an empty lot would be preferable to what atrocity I fear may come.

Joughins were listed at 3101 W Adams Street in 1909, 1915 and 1923 but then not in the 1926 CD or after; other
family members built or moved to a house or were for some reason listed at 2320 West 25th Street, which backed
up to 3101 W. Adams (never have been sure why Adams is numbered differently from the street one block north).

Google Street View
2320 West 25th Street; the Auguste Marquis/Fisher & Sons funeral parlor (2302) is at left.

Top four photos in quote were via LAPL

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Here's another one, Ralph's Westwood.

julie wilson

I know this is a really old post, but that grocery store is beautiful! Why can't they still be like this today?!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 8:38 PM

LAPL

LAPL
Harvard Hall (left) and Rugby Hall at the original Harvard School campus, Western at Venice, Los Angeles

LAPL

LAPL

Harvard-Westlake School

Per the Harvard-Westlake site, some history:

"Harvard School, a military school with 42 boys, was established in 1900 by Grenville C. Emery in a barley field at what is now the corner of Western Avenue and Venice Boulevard in Los Angeles. Mr. Emery received permission from Charles W. Eliot, Harvard University President, to use the Harvard name.

"In 1911, Harvard School became a non-profit corporation when Mr. Emery transferred ownership to the Episcopal Church. By the mid 1920’s Harvard had outgrown its original campus. A plan to reestablish the school on a site near Westwood was abandoned because of the worsening Depression. With a $25,000 loan for down payment by aviation pioneer Donald W. Douglas, founder of Douglas Aircraft Company, the school moved to the defunct Hollywood Country Club on Coldwater Canyon in 1937 and became an independent, self-governing school.

"The end of the ’60s saw dramatic changes in Harvard School. Boarding was discontinued and military training was dropped. In 1969, Christopher Berrisford became Harvard School’s first lay headmaster since Mr. Emery, and its enrollment surpassed 800 by 1987 when Thomas C. Hudnut became Headmaster.

..."In October 1989, the Boards of Trustees of the two schools agreed to merge the schools with Mr. Hudnut named as Harvard-Westlake’s first Headmaster. Full coeducation began in September 1991, with an enrollment approaching 1600, grades 7 - 9 at Westlake's North Faring Road location and grades 10 - 12 at Harvard's Coldwater Canyon campus. In the fall of 2008, an expanded and renovated Middle School campus opened at the North Faring Road location."

Some might say that Grenville Emery's asking Charles Eliot for permission to use the Harvard name as an example of the need of a developing Los Angeles to legitimize itself with East Coast references. I'll never forget a line of Mrs. Smythe (formerly Smith) in that cinema classic Bright Eyes: "I'm very anxious to show [my sister] that we can do things exactly as well out here as they do in the east."

There seems to be no trace of the Harvard campus on Western Avenue.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 9:59 PM

Aerial view of Page Military Academy at 1201 S. Cochran Avenue. The road running left to right is San Vicente Boulevard.

LAPL

below: Aerial dated 1915.

LAPL

below: In this view the administration building is seen facing Cochran Avenue. The street at left is San Vicente Boulevard.
Notice the cadets lined up in the training field.

LAPL

The Page Military Academy was at this location from 1915 to 1958.

below: In this aerial you can still make out the triangular outline of the military academy.

google street view

Today the site is the Villa Vicente Apartment Complex.

google street view

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 10:04 PM

This is how I first came across Page Military Academy:

I was searching old photographs for kites and came across this amazing photo.
It seems an annual project at the academy was for the cadets to build an enormous kite.

LAPL

LAPL

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 10:12 PM

......another year and an even LARGER kite...this time to be flown at what looks like Mines Field or perhaps another airport in the vicinity.

below: Assembling the parts.

LAPL

....almost there.

LAPL

Viola!

LAPL

It flies!!

LAPL

____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 15, 2011 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 10:41 PM

LAPL

Well, if it isn't Felix the Cat...

Original Bombers

For years I told people I knew the man who came up with Fritz the Cat, an acquaintance named Fred Halliday, not knowing that he couldn't have since he was born after Fritz was "born." Turned out he wrote a ribald update of the Fritz character called "The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat" in the '70s.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 11:00 PM

I remember that 'Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat'. I was just a little boy and couldn't understand how a cartoon could be x-rated.
I believe the ad showed 'Fritz'(a nasty doppelganger of Felix) smoking a big ol' stoagy.....at least I think it was a stoagy. lol

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 15, 2011 at 11:24 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos