Seattle = 831,088 (lots of water)
DC = 1,792,926
Chicago = 3,096,327 (some water)
St. Louis = 961,428
Houston = 1,431,672
Boston = 1,621,346 (some water)
Philadelphia = 2,201,664
Los Angeles = 3,853,219
Jersey City = 6,047,279 (map tool wouldn't center on lower Manhattan)
Interesting that Atlanta falls behind cities like Denver and Minneapolis despite having twice the metro population as those cities. This confirms my on-the-ground impressions.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
In terms of population maybe, but not otherwise. OKC is VERY nice, but there are ten very solid cities ahead of it.

1. NY
2. LA
3. SF
4. Chi
5. Boston
6. DC
7. Philly
8. Miami
9. Seattle
10.Dallas
11.Houston
12.Atlanta
13. Denver
14. New Orleans
OKC may pass N.O. at some point, especially if sea level rise becomes an issue. But I doubt it will get much beyond that unless it continues to grow by annexation.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 1:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
OKC may pass N.O. at some point, especially if sea level rise becomes an issue. But I doubt it will get much beyond that unless it continues to grow by annexation.
or home grows a couple micheal dells and austinizes.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
not sure what this means... OKC is nice but we're talking 655K people spread over 600 square miles. any top 10 ranking would be due to favorably drawn boundaries.

I am not sure where that list even comes from. By pop the biggest are NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philly, DC. In that order.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 2:19 AM

^ I think Jacksonville is in between Houston and Philly now. It’s really booming.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:32 AM
BANNED

I'm not sure what this thread is about. Top Ten in What?

But I knew a girl that lived in OKC [ very long story, I knew her up north and she used to live in the south annnnd. ] and flew in to Roy Rogers Airport.

I saw everything was painted orange like the clay dirt that is orange.

I guess OKC might might be a top ten rodeo town one day. I don't follow the circuit but there were a lot of ten gallon hats and spurs on the cowboy boots back in the day down yander.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Maybe if they annex Tulsa.
The combined MSA’s are almost 2.5 million, 65% of the state population. But they aren’t really growing toward each other and there is a lot of rural land in the 90 miles between the cities.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
The combined MSA’s are almost 2.5 million, 65% of the state population. But they aren’t really growing toward each other and there is a lot of rural land in the 90 miles between the cities.
Aren't there also a few native reservations between them? I don't think they can ever grow towards each other.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:23 PM

Interesting to note that several cities lost population the last 10 years. Chicago, Baltimore, Detriot and Cleveland all lost population. One city, Austin had a 29% jump. Numbers can be interpreted different ways. Because Dallas and Ft Worth are two different cities, they count separately but together make up the 5th highest metro area in the nation. Dallas has 1.3 million. Ft Worth 900K.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
yeah, OKC and Tulsa will not be in a combined CSA anytime soon.

downtown-to-downtown is 98 miles, as the crow flies, with LOTS of rural land in between, as you said.

NYC and Philly are 81 miles downtown-to-downtown, and even with their respective MASSIVE amounts of sprawl surrounding them, they aren't even a single CSA yet.

so an OKC/Tulsa CSA is a LOOOOOOOONG time off, if ever.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yeah, OKC and Tulsa will not be in a combined CSA anytime soon.

downtown-to-downtown is 98 miles, as the crow flies, with LOTS of rural land in between, as you said.

NYC and Philly are 81 miles downtown-to-downtown, and even with their respective MASSIVE amounts of sprawl surrounding them, they aren't even a single CSA yet.

so an OKC/Tulsa CSA is a LOOOOOOOONG time off, if ever.
Agree. It's a similar distance as Austin and San Antonio which are growing closer to each other but still won't likely be a combined CSA for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Aren't there also a few native reservations between them? I don't think they can ever grow towards each other.
Fun fact on the Indian reservations, most of eastern Oklahoma is made up of Indian nations with their own tribal governments, schools, health systems, etc and based on a recent Supreme Court ruling actually have criminal jurisdiction over their citizens. The entire city of Tulsa is within three Indian nations: Creek, Osage and Cherokee. The eastern side of the OKC metro is in the Pottawattamie and Seminole nations. It doesn't affect growth but there is a lot of land in between and only small towns that are barely growing.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Fun fact on the Indian reservations, most of eastern Oklahoma is made up of Indian nations with their own tribal governments, schools, health systems, etc and based on a recent Supreme Court ruling actually have criminal jurisdiction over their citizens. The entire city of Tulsa is within three Indian nations: Creek, Osage and Cherokee. The eastern side of the OKC metro is in the Pottawattamie and Seminole nations. It doesn't affect growth but there is a lot of land in between and only small towns that are barely growing.
Yeah, the recent Supreme Court case about jurisdiction in Tulsa being invalid is how I became aware of this. But I have no idea how land development or land rights works on reservations.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, the recent Supreme Court case about jurisdiction in Tulsa being invalid is how I became aware of this. But I have no idea how land development or land rights works on reservations.
The Supreme Court decision doesn't affect land rights just criminal jurisdiction, and that only applies to tribal members on tribal land. So if you're a Cherokee citizen, for example, and you commit a crime in Tulsa the Tulsa Police wouldn't have juridication rather it would be the Cherokee Lighthorse (Indian police) along with the FBI (since tribal lands are federally administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 10:12 PM
BANNED

50-80 years from now: OKC development will fill in the huge public land survey system area that is already divided up by square miles with roadways in place, most of which is uninhabited. okc is wrapped around on 3 sides with federally recognized native lands which will act as a greenbelt.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 12:29 AM

Threadjacking in progress:

To what extent, if any, has OKC been urbanizing? How healthy is the multifamily market down there?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 2:17 AM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
Threadjacking in progress:

To what extent, if any, has OKC been urbanizing? How healthy is the multifamily market down there?
Today I learned that Oklahoma City lies partly in Canadian county. That, on its own, suggests that it has great potential for urbanization.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov View Post
Today I learned that Oklahoma City lies partly in Canadian county. That, on its own, suggests that it has great potential for urbanization.
Watch out, Tim Horton's is coming!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 3:28 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashville View Post
^^ thought that was nyc for a sec with all the people walking around.
hahahahahahaha

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah View Post
50-80 years from now: OKC development will fill in the huge public land survey system area that is already divided up by square miles with roadways in place, most of which is uninhabited. okc is wrapped around on 3 sides with federally recognized native lands which will act as a greenbelt.
I've been to both Oklahoma City and Tulsa many times and noticed a grid like system in the rural areas outside of the cities. I also noticed that in those areas you'd see gaps of development. For example one minute you'd see stores and homes then nothing. Then stores and homes again.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 3:59 PM

It would need to gain a lot more sex appeal reputation-wise, and do a better job of marketing itself.

I don't think I've ever met anyone on the coasts who woke up one day and expressed that they were dying to move to Oklahoma.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions