In my pockets at all times, even at home 10 11.11%
Put all three aside when I get home 42 46.67%
Just my phone always on my person, even at home 32 35.56%
Other 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 2:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I would rather be completely broke living in my backyard than lose my phone lol

None of my downstairs windows have screens anyway from breaking into my own house.

And if I lose my cards, as has happened to me twice now, they show up from a Good Samaritan in my mailbox within a couple days.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 2:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I think phone.

If I lose my keys, I'd have to remember what I had on the key chain and make new keys. Car keys would be a pain to replace.

Losing a wallet is the worst of all of them of course, with credit card, bank cards, insurance, licence, health card... basically your entire identity.

Losing a phone. Whatever. It's locked. Nothing compromising on there. Easiest thing to retrieve should it be found by an honest person. I have a cheap $200 phone to. Walked into Bell and asked for the smallest Smart Phone they had. That was 4 years ago. My third phone since my original flip in 2005.
Yeah, I don't really give a hoot about losing a phone, except the cost to replace it. I don't do anything with my phone that is a security risk, nor time critical.

Losing my driver's licence, bank and credit cards is a pain to get fixed.

Losing my car keys means I'm going to the dealership and forking out several hundred dollars to get a new fob.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 2:17 PM

Angry

If I had one, it would definitely be the phone. In fact, I'd probably try to find a way to "lose" it on purpose ...

Anybody else experience a knot of nauseous anxiety in the pit of their stomach when they think they've lost their wallet?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 2:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I secretly hate my cellphone.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 3:03 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
If I had one, it would definitely be the phone. In fact, I'd probably try to find a way to "lose" it on purpose ...

Anybody else experience a knot of nauseous anxiety in the pit of their stomach when they think they've lost their wallet?
Not so much a knot, as much as it feels like the bottom of my stomach has dropped out. Then, combined with the "shit, shit, shit" monologue in my head as I frantically check every pocket and nearby surface...

But everyone experiences different symptoms.

My phone OTOH, I've lost for hours (was it more than a day?) and not noticed.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
What's with the back pocket thing? How do you sit down comfortably on a less than cushiony surface?
keys and infrequently used cards are kept in a kitchen drawer. Wallet can be anywhere...

Don't own a cell phone.

Re above, you can keep your wallet very thin. I used to carry inside my suit jacket and wanted it thin. Only carry one credit card, Starbucks card and drivers license. Photocopies of my UPC codes for air miles, Tims, Superstore are all taped inside my wallet and work just fine.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 3:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

My smartphone is locked but I suppose a good hacker might be able to get in there. A number of my bank accounts have autocomplete passwords for them when you open a browser window, so I guess there is a danger there.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 4:18 PM

I've been trying to add "mask" to my "wallet, phone, keys" routine when leaving the house. Unfortunately I've been leaving in the cupholder in my truck when getting in after a store, which has caught me out a few times when going somewhere on foot.

Phone is always with me, I use it a lot at home - recipes, brewing calculators, how-to videos if fixing something, bluetooth BBQ thermometer. I'm also on it or my laptop when watching TV, usually truck, bbq, beer or sports forums. I'm awful about being on it before bed, I know the light is bad for my sleep but reading a bit in bed is very ingrained and I love being able to pop open a new tab if I wonder about something. I use banking apps not browser sites and the apps won't save a password. I did have it locked, but the fingerprint sensor stopped working and I use it too much to be typing a passcode, so it's open now just like my old phones always were before I had one with fingerprint sensing.

Wallet is front pocket, ditch it on my desk at work or side table at home. I strip it down every so often but I still have about 8 cards in there. Keys go on the desk at work or on the hallway hook at home.

No watch, I hate wearing things on my body. No jewelry, went a long time avoiding mouthguards, not looking forward to a wedding ring. I picked rugby over football specifically because I hated the helmet. My ball cap is glued to my head though! (when not in the office).

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 5:10 PM
I am the law!

Aestethically ugly but, I do miss the cargo pants fad.

Swap between money clip and wallet. Keys are kept hidden in the front garden. Also swap between phone clip and pocket.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 5:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Aestethically ugly but, I do miss the cargo pants fad.

Swap between money clip and wallet. Keys are kept hidden in the front garden. Also swap between phone clip and pocket.
They’re back to some extent. Not full, baggy cargos - but lots of current styles of pants have pockets on the side of the thigh.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 6:26 PM

Quote:
What's with the back pocket thing? How do you sit down comfortably on a less than cushiony surface?
Wallet's always back pocket for me. I'm not rocking a velcro wallet with 30 gift cards.

I either have a very slim leather wallet that you can't even feel in dress pants, or I have two of these now that are perfect for a suit jacket inner pocket.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My smartphone is locked but I suppose a good hacker might be able to get in there. A number of my bank accounts have autocomplete passwords for them when you open a browser window, so I guess there is a danger there.
My bank app is just hooked up to the fingerprint scanner on the phone now. I don't know if I actually can remember the password anymore...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 6:42 PM

I practically don't go anywhere without my phone. In a way it's made us all some form of an android. I feel it is an extension of myself and life. Just an honest reflection and assessment. Keys and wallet I almost always know where they are, but I just don't keep them around me. On infrequent occasions when I'm just visiting someone where I know for sure I will not need it, I just keep my wallet locked in a glovebox. Travel as light as possible.

A phone though, basically can do most things for me. If I can replace all my keys, ID and wallet with some sort of a secure phone app, I would.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I either have a very slim leather wallet that you can't even feel in dress pants, or I have two of these now that are perfect for a suit jacket inner pocket.
Those are great. I also have this for the few keys I use:

Apologies on image size(!)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 7:04 PM
Khan

Quote:
Next poll: Who wears a watch these days?
I never leave the house without a watch (automatic or manual of course - no quartz crap.) In this digital age, I find it oddly reassuring to have a finely crafted piece of mechanical machinery on my wrist.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 9:00 PM
recession proof

I cut my home internet and am now 100% wireless. Phone 24/7/365 - I sleep with it -- I keep DL, health card & debit card in front pocket with keys. Who needs a watch when my phone tells me the time? And why would you need a lock screen? I need access to google, stock charts etc asap. The next phone I buy - probably the iphone 12 -- I'm not installing any social media apps.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 10:07 PM

Anybody else now getting slim wallet ads on their screen? Re phone 24/7/365, I would find that so stress inducing that I can’t even find words ...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 10:17 PM

I throw my driver's license, health card, bank card and MasterCard in my front pocket. Keys in the opposite front pocket Phone goes in the back pocket.

After >15 years with cards loose in my pocket, somehow I haven't lost them (yet)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 12:32 AM

This addiction to cell phones is quite depressing. I find people start looking at their phones in a social setting after just a few minutes as their attention spans are severely compromised due to the instant gratification that cell phones purport to give. I've been at such events and as soon as people are looking at their phones more than talking/engaging I leave the group without an explanation.

It's a phone and in many ways isn't used as a phone anymore but a conduit to the inane world of twitter/facebook/instagram and the ultimate in hard to fathom its purpose app tik tok.

I use a cell phone as a phone, texting and email and limited browsing for information but my phone is free from social media.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I think phone.

If I lose my keys, I'd have to remember what I had on the key chain and make new keys. Car keys would be a pain to replace.

Losing a wallet is the worst of all of them of course, with credit card, bank cards, insurance, licence, health card... basically your entire identity.

Losing a phone. Whatever. It's locked. Nothing compromising on there. Easiest thing to retrieve should it be found by an honest person. I have a cheap $200 phone to. Walked into Bell and asked for the smallest Smart Phone they had. That was 4 years ago. My third phone since my original flip in 2005.
Amusing, it's the opposite for me.

My phone hasn't been backed up anytime lately and is full of irreplaceable stuff (pictures and also some information and notes). It's the most precious of the three.

My keys - despite my efforts to keep my key set the slimmest it can be, there are a lot of keys on that ring. Keys to basements and storage areas and properties and some empty apts that I might be working on part-time. It's nothing irreplaceable, but still a PITA to have to replace.

Wallet - I rarely have any cash in it, and it's easier to have my few important cards reissued than to fully reconstitute my (not that small) key set.

So I'd sooner lose my wallet first, then my keys, and my phone would be the last.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada