HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals


    One Bayfront Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Miami Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #241  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 11:15 PM
Onn Onn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,937
That seems pretty ridiculous to me! Sure the airport is nearby, but such downgrades like these will start to put a damper on downtown Miami's growth potential.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #242  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 1:33 AM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 35,224
I wouldn't worry too much. They will negotiate. Still the nerve of the FAA to say such blasphemy!

I'm surprised Skyrise didn't get a height reduction. I think its safe to say that if we do get a height cut on this, it will be in the range of 700-800 feet. I hope I'm wrong on this btw, but its probably the reasonable option given the thick-headedness over there.

We still have many towers going up, but stuff like this only hurts the city. Thats a lot of good office space they will lose with such stringent requirements. This is still something like 2 years from construction if the timetable goes smoothly, so a lot may change by then.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #243  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 1:49 AM
Onn Onn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I
I'm surprised Skyrise didn't get a height reduction. I think its safe to say that if we do get a height cut on this, it will be in the range of 700-800 feet. I hope I'm wrong on this btw, but its probably the reasonable option given the thick-headedness over there.
Skyrise is on the edge of the city of Miami, that's likely why it isn't suffering a downgrade. These other towers are directly in the aircraft flight paths apparently. But its not like the planes are skimming the surface of the city at 1,000 feet either.

Its hard to imagine the city of Miami continuing to have such strong construction momentum in Florida with major projects like these getting shot down.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #244  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 1:19 PM
hunser's Avatar
hunser hunser is offline
don't *meddle*...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York City / Wien
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
[...]
Florida East Coast Realty has proposed building its One Bayfront Plaza office and retail tower 1,005 feet tall. The FAA wants to cut it down to 470 feet.
[...]
"The proposed structures are located 5.7 nautical miles or less east of the Miami International Airport," the FAA said in a statement.
Yet in New York, 432 PA, a 1,400 footer to the roof, is 4.5 nautical miles of Laguardia Airport (thanks@j-biz).

What's going on in Miami? Something's not kosher ...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #245  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 2:32 PM
Onn Onn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Yet in New York, 432 PA, a 1,400 footer to the roof, is 4.5 nautical miles of Laguardia Airport (thanks@j-biz).

What's going on in Miami? Something's not kosher ...
Like I said earlier, the planes in Miami fly directly over the city at lower altitudes. I assume in New York they fly at higher altitudes and not directly over the city. 4.5 miles means nothing if the flight path for the planes is a safe distance away from the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #246  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 2:45 PM
bobdreamz's Avatar
bobdreamz bobdreamz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Miami/Orlando, FL.
Posts: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the FAA wants this chopped down to 470 feet.

I hope they do not get their way. This is beyond absurd.


=================================
http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...mi-towers.html
I think it's time the City of Miami & Developers get together and sue the FAA with these silly recommendations!
__________________
Elect Joe Biden so Trump could spend more time Golfing !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #247  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:31 PM
dave8721 dave8721 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Skyrise is on the edge of the city of Miami, that's likely why it isn't suffering a downgrade. These other towers are directly in the aircraft flight paths apparently. But its not like the planes are skimming the surface of the city at 1,000 feet either.

Its hard to imagine the city of Miami continuing to have such strong construction momentum in Florida with major projects like these getting shot down.
Skyrise didnt get a reduction because it was approved back in 2008 or so when the FAA was less strict. They had to actually break ground before they could get any official approvals because they had to to do so before the FAA approval expired. If it expired and they had to re-apply, the FAA would have told them no as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #248  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:46 PM
Onn Onn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Skyrise didnt get a reduction because it was approved back in 2008 or so when the FAA was less strict. They had to actually break ground before they could get any official approvals because they had to to do so before the FAA approval expired. If it expired and they had to re-apply, the FAA would have told them no as well.
I don't think the FAA can get more strict. That doesn't seem possible, I think they've always been the same.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #249  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:54 PM
dave8721 dave8721 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I don't think the FAA can get more strict. That doesn't seem possible, I think they've always been the same.
Recently the FAA started instituting a new "single engine policy" that drastically reduced the allowable heights vs what they used to allow in many cities:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...ings/11441517/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #250  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 7:20 AM
Roadcruiser1's Avatar
Roadcruiser1 Roadcruiser1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,106
Miami should relocate it's airport. If Edmonton can do it so can Miami...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #251  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 12:55 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 4,569
^^ Or the FAA can just stop being stupid. That would be way more practical. I really want to see the developers fight this BS.

Why did Edmonton relocate its airport anyway?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #252  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 1:35 PM
Onn Onn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Recently the FAA started instituting a new "single engine policy" that drastically reduced the allowable heights vs what they used to allow in many cities:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...ings/11441517/
The President does have the power to override the FAA if he wanted to relax the height restrictions with good cause. If anything the FAA should be reducing these kinds of regulations today because plane safety has improved, not deteriorated. As in better navigation technology. Such a change seems unwarranted after all this time.

Last edited by Onn; Jan 16, 2015 at 1:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #253  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 3:34 PM
futuresooner's Avatar
futuresooner futuresooner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Miami should relocate it's airport. If Edmonton can do it so can Miami...
Yeah......so about the land that doesn't exist to build upon and the fact MIA is one of the 30 busiest airports in the world.
__________________
"When you don't want to Dallas your Austin, you just emulate the Bay Area."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #254  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 11:40 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 35,224
I wouldn't stress that much about this. They will come up with a sensible compromise. Often, these FAA recommendations go through several meetings and studies, and the two parties come up with a reasonable height.

I do wonder from a zoning perspective if it will force the city to zone certain districts that are away or at least a certain distance from MIA in order to stay competitive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #255  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 6:43 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 35,224
Update:

An FAA decision on this tower, and many others is expected in the next couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #256  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 6:56 PM
Onn Onn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Update:

An FAA decision on this tower, and many others is expected in the next couple of weeks.
Oh joy, I can hardly wait. News conference of the year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #257  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 8:54 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Update:

An FAA decision on this tower, and many others is expected in the next couple of weeks.

So basically we can kiss all potential Miami supertalls goodbye.

Great...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #258  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 10:08 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 35,224
This FAA warning is part of the process. I doubt that they will be cut in half. Many towers usually have this recommendation, but ultimately wind up taller or at least suffer a height reduction that isn't too too dramatic. On the case of supertalls, if a compromise is made, I don't think it will be the height that the developers envisioned. I could see a 200 foot reduction for Miami Central and Bayfront. But we will see when the time comes.

I want this and the others to remain in supertall territory, but 800-or 900 "ish" sounds like a realistic option.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #259  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 12:15 AM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 4,569
a bunch of 8 or 900 footers would still be a great addition to Miami though
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #260  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 5:29 PM
dave8721 dave8721 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 3,335

Just approved by the FAA at 1005 feet above the ground:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...03898385&row=2
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.