HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 2:40 AM
Eurosceptic

I disagree with "sucks"... excluding Market District... Giant Eagle is basically an average to slightly above-average large-scale regional supermarket like Giant or Kroger... it's certainly better than a Tops, Shop n Save, Buehler's (NE Ohio) or Weis. However, Giant Eagle's locations are certainly of variable quality... some of the suburban stores (Robinson Twp., Homestead, Massillon Ohio) I would rate as "quite good"... and I like the cramped Squirrel Hill location as well... but some of the smaller, older urban stores downright suck... like Lawrenceville and East Allegheny. A store like the one on the South Side is basically very very average. I think Giant Eagle is basically on a trend of upgrading its brand. The Centre Ave. Market District is certainly not a "speciality" store... it's just like a Wegmans... has everything you need plus a whole bunch of fancy stuff to waste money on. It even has a cheese cave.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 2:50 AM

Ah - the squirrel hill Giant Eagle was my supermarket of choice in Pittsburgh. But to be honest, I knew of no other. The Giant Eagle is certainly better than Weis, King's, (I think defunct IGA) and Giant. Go to the Giant on 11th street in Reading and try not to vomit repeatedly.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 4:17 AM

Well maybe all the Giant Eagles don't suck... I was probably thinking of the bad ones and grouped the whole chain together. I actually had a love/hate relationship with the small Squirrel Hill location on Murray ave... it was my neighborhood store for a few years. I liked the neighborhood feel of it and the fact that I could easily walk there to grab some groceries, but when I lived there, it was dirty, the entire staff of the store seemed like they were from another planet and were so exceedingly slow that it often pained me to go there.

However, even the nicer suburban locations that I've been to in Pittsburgh and Erie seem to lack something though... overall, just pretty average (kind of like Winn-Dixie in the south). And, in comparison to Wegmans, not even in the same league in my opinion. But, I didn't realize that the new Market District stores were full-service supermarkets (when I was there I just checked out all the higher end stuff) like a Wegmans since it seemed a good bit smaller. I'll have to check out the "cheese cave" next time... even the hallowed Wegmans doesn't have one of those.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:12 AM
Eurosceptic

yes... to judge Giant Eagle on one or a few locations is inadequate as their locations vary in size and quality... reflective of different eras... acquisitions of other chains... and the diverse socio-economic landscape... (for example, Wegmans seems to only operate in wealthy suburban areas while Giant Eagle operates just about anywhere)

I think eventually they'll probably eradicate their truly crappy stores in order to project a strong consistent brand... either through upgrades (Centre Ave - Shadyside) or closures (Centre Ave. - Oakland). Giant Eagle is also playing around with new smaller store concepts for urban areas... it's rumored they're putting one of these in the Manchester neighborhood.

I've only stopped in the Squirrel Hill location a few times to basically get a couple snacks if I'm down that way... so I haven't experienced the service deficiencies you speak of. It does get points for its somewhat urban-friendly design. The service at the Centre Ave. Market District is top notch however. It's a "foodie" store... like Wegman's... expert chefs and cooking demos etc....

And not to sound too much like an advertisement... but I love Giant Eagle's Market District branded products (pita chips, trail mix, organic iced tea, etc.)... their organic peach iced tea is literally my favorite beverage ever.

BTW pj3000... the Centre Ave. Market District is LEED certified and has 5 floors of condos above it... just an interesting little tidbit

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 12:39 PM
America's Hometown

The Giant Iggle in Indiana was small but very popular with students because it is a block from the IUP campus. I didn't quite like it and went to the newer and bigger store about a 4 or 5 blocks down Wayne Avenue, which at the time was called "Riverside" but was called "Bi Lo" the last time I was there...

I'm surprised Giant Iggle never tried to push into Southeastern PA. With Eagle in the name...it would probably prove to be popular and I'm sure it could provoke shoppers into random "E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!" chants that Evergrey LOVES so much!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 1:38 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation View Post
The Giant Iggle in Indiana was small but very popular with students because it is a block from the IUP campus. I didn't quite like it and went to the newer and bigger store about a 4 or 5 blocks down Wayne Avenue, which at the time was called "Riverside" but was called "Bi Lo" the last time I was there...

I'm surprised Giant Iggle never tried to push into Southeastern PA. With Eagle in the name...it would probably prove to be popular and I'm sure it could provoke shoppers into random "E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!" chants that Evergrey LOVES so much!
I'm much more of a fan of "Fly Eagles Fly!"... it's slightly more sophisticated...

BiLo/Riverside exists primarily in the portions of rural Western/Northern PA that Giant Eagle has not penetrated... though I guess Indiana is one market in which they are in direct competition...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 6:18 AM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
the one in State College has a model train traveling around the store above the heads of shoppers
OMG, so does the one in Cheektowaga, New York!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 6:10 PM
bnkhjsdlgj,sdgnsdkljvfjgl

The Giant Eagle on Northern Pike in Monroeville is nice too. They relocated there about 10 years ago from that funky location near Monroeville Mall. There was a two-story building east of Monroeville Mall that had a Hechinger on the bottom floor and the Giant Eagle on the top. The inside of the store was nice, but the building stuck out like a sore thumb, and the parking lot was kind of disjointed. Also, it probably wasn't the best location for a supermarket since it wasn't all that close to any residential areas. The Northern Pike location is much better in that regard.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 10:59 PM
America's Hometown

I just saw a sign for a new Wegman's in Great Valley right there where PA29/US202 Interchange. There is a new urbanist type of development being built there where the former Worthington Steel Plant used to stand. I will have TWO Wegmans within 5 miles of my house. That could very well keep me from moving to the city! Wegmans can do that to a person!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 3:44 PM

Ahh, my kingdom for a Queens Wegmans...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation View Post
I love my Downingtown Wegmans!!!!!!!! They are already going to remodel the grocery area and the store has only been open for 4 years.
haha, indeed. co-workers thought I was strange just for driving from Conshohocken out to Downingtown after work some evenings for a sub and grocery shopping. Little did most of them know, I actually lived in the city and would even drive from there out to Downingtown just to get my shopping done. I never would have guessed that a grocery store would be the thing I missed the most after leaving syracuse, but I suppose being faced with Shoprite/Acme/Genuardis/Superfresh will do that to you.

Heh, the wawa across the street from wegmans is an excellent example... now if only we could get those in ny.. i guess downingtown has the best of both worlds.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 2:13 AM
Flower City

I just want to take a moment to thank Rochester WNY for Wegmans.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 10:27 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpmk View Post
haha, indeed. co-workers thought I was strange just for driving from Conshohocken out to Downingtown after work some evenings for a sub and grocery shopping. Little did most of them know, I actually lived in the city and would even drive from there out to Downingtown just to get my shopping done. I never would have guessed that a grocery store would be the thing I missed the most after leaving syracuse, but I suppose being faced with Shoprite/Acme/Genuardis/Superfresh will do that to you.

Heh, the wawa across the street from wegmans is an excellent example... now if only we could get those in ny.. i guess downingtown has the best of both worlds.
Those big Wawa's are everywhere out here. I'm still amazed how successful Wegmans was right off the bat coming into this market virtually unknown.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 6:56 AM

Wegmans, a grocery-store chain that inspired a cult following, company headquartered in Rochester, N.Y, is still run by the Wegman family. At the point when Consumer Reports surveyed its perusers on the best supermarket chain in the United States in 2019, Wegmans arrived in a solid second. (Focal Market situated in Texas took the best position.) The grocery store settled in Rochester, New York earned excellent grades for food newness, natural choice, and neatness. Exclusive and family worked, the chain's 99 mid-Atlantic stores are additionally eminent for their treatment of representatives. Investigate a couple of realities to remember whenever you're meandering one of their huge areas.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:26 AM

Wegmans is Successful Because of Their Engaged Organization. We hope this will be beneficial and clear out your queries for the way the company operates and achieve success.

Key Elements:

-Keeping their employees a priority and providing them with a good environment is the first step.

- Wegmans has a philosophy that they follow delicately 'Employees first, Customers Second'. Even though many companies opt to give the customer the priority, here the store believes in a happy employee that generates a happy customer.

- They have some standards like good pay following training and other benefits as well. Even though all of these are taken for granted, here they make sure to give them the importance they deserve.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 7:28 AM

Roche Bros.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 10:22 AM

All in the Wegmans Family

Wegmans is known for its history of charitable donations and community outreach programs. According to its website, Wegmans donates over 14.5 million pounds of food to local food banks and soup kitchens every year. Shoppers have noticed the generous tendencies of Wegmans, making it another reason they love the store.
We encourage team members to give us honest feedback on their experiences through programs like our Open Door Days, Huddles, Focus Groups and a two-way Q&A blog with our SVP Senior Vice President of Store Operations — all so they can continue to be Wegmans happy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast