HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 2:57 AM

!!!!

That looks awesome.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 3:08 AM

Another project under way near the Pearl... remember Riverscape, the condos north of the Fremont Bridge? As you probably know they're building four 5-story apt bldgs between the condos and Naito (Front). Well, ACROSS from these, the whole block is fenced off and equipment is on site. The site surrounds, but does not include, the Dockside. However, the Dockside has lost all of its parking. Anyway, I remember seeing some sort of very vague proposal for this site (4 story apts?), but never any renderings. Portlandmaps just shows a demolition permit and type 3 review; nothing more. Anyone know anything?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 3:59 AM

I wish SoWa would get quality design like that.

Great looking project!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 4:04 AM
A before E

It looks good, North Pearl is going to be really dense feeling when it is fully developed.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 4:22 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

That looks great! It's so nice to see the north end of the Pearl starting to fill in, and this really does look like a fantastic addition to the neighborhood. I wish the side of the building didn't have to be walled off like that (see top pic, to the left, where the line of cars are), but the Ramona took a similar approach. It sucks that 13th doesn't have sidewalks... but it doesn't.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 9:14 AM

Computer double posted.

Last edited by pdxtraveler; Mar 1, 2014 at 9:15 AM. Reason: double post

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
That looks great! It's so nice to see the north end of the Pearl starting to fill in, and this really does look like a fantastic addition to the neighborhood. I wish the side of the building didn't have to be walled off like that (see top pic, to the left, where the line of cars are), but the Ramona took a similar approach. It sucks that 13th doesn't have sidewalks... but it doesn't.
I think that whole keeping the loading dock thing and continuing it is a really fun feature for that one street. Great on all streets no, but it is different and on many blocks I like it!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Another project under way near the Pearl... remember Riverscape, the condos north of the Fremont Bridge? As you probably know they're building four 5-story apt bldgs between the condos and Naito (Front). Well, ACROSS from these, the whole block is fenced off and equipment is on site. The site surrounds, but does not include, the Dockside. However, the Dockside has lost all of its parking. Anyway, I remember seeing some sort of very vague proposal for this site (4 story apts?), but never any renderings. Portlandmaps just shows a demolition permit and type 3 review; nothing more. Anyone know anything?
FWIW, I was there 10 days ago and the Dockside owner said the fenced-off area is merely for staging the project across the street.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
FWIW, I was there 10 days ago and the Dockside owner said the fenced-off area is merely for staging the project across the street.
Ah, crap. Too bad. The NWExaminer mentioned it too, but just said it was fenced off "for development", adding to my confusion. But you're probably right, since there are no building permits.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 6:26 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
I think that whole keeping the loading dock thing and continuing it is a really fun feature for that one street. Great on all streets no, but it is different and on many blocks I like it!
It's also incredibly unfriendly to pedestrians, and it's in a very pedestrian neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I have a question for those who know more about the economics of development than I do.

I'd always heard that it said that it's uneconomical to do buildings between 7 and ~20 (?) floors in the US. At 6 floors or below, you can do light wood framing over a concrete deck, and we see a lot of those going up in Portland. Above that, building codes require switching to a steel or concrete frame, but this is supposedly so expensive a change that it only make sense when you're doing a fairly tall building. Yet this development is 9 stories above grade, with a concrete frame. So how have they made it stack up financially?
great question. light gauge steel is why, but i'm not sure though the reason why we are just seeing it now but I understand it is becoming common

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 11:10 PM

I really like this building! Just enough color to make it interesting and a nice departure from the brick-and-beige theme... but not as extreme as the Marriot. (Although I don't hate the Marriot. Close-up I think it's actually better than from a distance.) Can someone remind me what the glassed-in area on top is, a common room? Would be a great place for parties or whatever with that outdoor terrace.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 12:44 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Possibly wrong.

Last year I saw a developer present the site to the Pearl District Neighborhood association. It's basically three small apartment buildings with ground floor retail, and they looked like stairs; 2 floors, 3 floors, and 4 floors. Maybe even connected with hallways? The Dockside owner didn't sell, but they tried.

The developer also proposed reducing Natio to two lanes and street parking. They used the area near Yards at Union station as an example.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 3:37 AM

yeah, besides, there's other land available - the lot south of Riverscape, before the Fremont Bridge, for example, and I think there's a lot up by the tower at the end of Riverscape - either of which would make more sense logistically for use as staging areas.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 6:37 PM

Dockside Saloon is where the incriminating evidence was found in the dumpster linking Tonya Harding in the Nancy Kerrigan attack

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 10:00 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
Dockside Saloon is where the incriminating evidence was found in the dumpster linking Tonya Harding in the Nancy Kerrigan attack
Well that is quite the fun fact.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Where's Nick Burkhardt going to park his Airstream?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
It's also incredibly unfriendly to pedestrians, and it's in a very pedestrian neighborhood.
I think 13th should be closed to cars. Think of how vibrant it feels when the PDNA has their annual street fair there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:58 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
Where's Nick Burkhardt going to park his Airstream?
That would be a problem, though I am sure they would say the location has been compromised in the show and have to move it somewhere else iconic.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:59 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
I think 13th should be closed to cars. Think of how vibrant it feels when the PDNA has their annual street fair there.
I am actually surprised it isn't, though if it were to have been closed to cars, that should have been done back when the road was still cobble stone and old rail tracks on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland