HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1961  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 2:57 AM
Derek Derek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,553
!!!!

That looks awesome.
__________________
Portlandia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1962  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 3:08 AM
bvpcvm bvpcvm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 2,790
Another project under way near the Pearl... remember Riverscape, the condos north of the Fremont Bridge? As you probably know they're building four 5-story apt bldgs between the condos and Naito (Front). Well, ACROSS from these, the whole block is fenced off and equipment is on site. The site surrounds, but does not include, the Dockside. However, the Dockside has lost all of its parking. Anyway, I remember seeing some sort of very vague proposal for this site (4 story apts?), but never any renderings. Portlandmaps just shows a demolition permit and type 3 review; nothing more. Anyone know anything?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1963  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 3:59 AM
Sioux612's Avatar
Sioux612 Sioux612 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 539
I wish SoWa would get quality design like that.

Great looking project!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1964  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 4:04 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,818
It looks good, North Pearl is going to be really dense feeling when it is fully developed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1965  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 4:22 AM
2oh1's Avatar
2oh1 2oh1 is offline
9-7-2oh1-!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: downtown Portland
Posts: 2,493
That looks great! It's so nice to see the north end of the Pearl starting to fill in, and this really does look like a fantastic addition to the neighborhood. I wish the side of the building didn't have to be walled off like that (see top pic, to the left, where the line of cars are), but the Ramona took a similar approach. It sucks that 13th doesn't have sidewalks... but it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1966  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 9:14 AM
pdxtraveler pdxtraveler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 731
Computer double posted.

Last edited by pdxtraveler; Mar 1, 2014 at 9:15 AM. Reason: double post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1967  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 9:15 AM
pdxtraveler pdxtraveler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
That looks great! It's so nice to see the north end of the Pearl starting to fill in, and this really does look like a fantastic addition to the neighborhood. I wish the side of the building didn't have to be walled off like that (see top pic, to the left, where the line of cars are), but the Ramona took a similar approach. It sucks that 13th doesn't have sidewalks... but it doesn't.
I think that whole keeping the loading dock thing and continuing it is a really fun feature for that one street. Great on all streets no, but it is different and on many blocks I like it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1968  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 11:09 AM
soleri soleri is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Another project under way near the Pearl... remember Riverscape, the condos north of the Fremont Bridge? As you probably know they're building four 5-story apt bldgs between the condos and Naito (Front). Well, ACROSS from these, the whole block is fenced off and equipment is on site. The site surrounds, but does not include, the Dockside. However, the Dockside has lost all of its parking. Anyway, I remember seeing some sort of very vague proposal for this site (4 story apts?), but never any renderings. Portlandmaps just shows a demolition permit and type 3 review; nothing more. Anyone know anything?
FWIW, I was there 10 days ago and the Dockside owner said the fenced-off area is merely for staging the project across the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1969  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 2:12 PM
bvpcvm bvpcvm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 2,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
FWIW, I was there 10 days ago and the Dockside owner said the fenced-off area is merely for staging the project across the street.
Ah, crap. Too bad. The NWExaminer mentioned it too, but just said it was fenced off "for development", adding to my confusion. But you're probably right, since there are no building permits.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1970  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 6:26 PM
2oh1's Avatar
2oh1 2oh1 is offline
9-7-2oh1-!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: downtown Portland
Posts: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
I think that whole keeping the loading dock thing and continuing it is a really fun feature for that one street. Great on all streets no, but it is different and on many blocks I like it!
It's also incredibly unfriendly to pedestrians, and it's in a very pedestrian neighborhood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1971  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 6:37 PM
pdxstreetcar's Avatar
pdxstreetcar pdxstreetcar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I have a question for those who know more about the economics of development than I do.

I'd always heard that it said that it's uneconomical to do buildings between 7 and ~20 (?) floors in the US. At 6 floors or below, you can do light wood framing over a concrete deck, and we see a lot of those going up in Portland. Above that, building codes require switching to a steel or concrete frame, but this is supposedly so expensive a change that it only make sense when you're doing a fairly tall building. Yet this development is 9 stories above grade, with a concrete frame. So how have they made it stack up financially?
great question. light gauge steel is why, but i'm not sure though the reason why we are just seeing it now but I understand it is becoming common
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1972  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 11:10 PM
downtownpdx's Avatar
downtownpdx downtownpdx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,732
I really like this building! Just enough color to make it interesting and a nice departure from the brick-and-beige theme... but not as extreme as the Marriot. (Although I don't hate the Marriot. Close-up I think it's actually better than from a distance.) Can someone remind me what the glassed-in area on top is, a common room? Would be a great place for parties or whatever with that outdoor terrace.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1973  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 12:44 AM
Shilo Rune 96's Avatar
Shilo Rune 96 Shilo Rune 96 is offline
PearlHelp.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SE Portland
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
FWIW, I was there 10 days ago and the Dockside owner said the fenced-off area is merely for staging the project across the street.
Possibly wrong.

Last year I saw a developer present the site to the Pearl District Neighborhood association. It's basically three small apartment buildings with ground floor retail, and they looked like stairs; 2 floors, 3 floors, and 4 floors. Maybe even connected with hallways? The Dockside owner didn't sell, but they tried.

The developer also proposed reducing Natio to two lanes and street parking. They used the area near Yards at Union station as an example.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1974  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 3:37 AM
bvpcvm bvpcvm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 2,790
yeah, besides, there's other land available - the lot south of Riverscape, before the Fremont Bridge, for example, and I think there's a lot up by the tower at the end of Riverscape - either of which would make more sense logistically for use as staging areas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1975  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 6:37 PM
pdxstreetcar's Avatar
pdxstreetcar pdxstreetcar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,300
Dockside Saloon is where the incriminating evidence was found in the dumpster linking Tonya Harding in the Nancy Kerrigan attack
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1976  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 10:00 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
Dockside Saloon is where the incriminating evidence was found in the dumpster linking Tonya Harding in the Nancy Kerrigan attack
Well that is quite the fun fact.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1977  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:31 PM
xnyr xnyr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
FWIW, I was there 10 days ago and the Dockside owner said the fenced-off area is merely for staging the project across the street.
Where's Nick Burkhardt going to park his Airstream?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1978  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:41 PM
xnyr xnyr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
It's also incredibly unfriendly to pedestrians, and it's in a very pedestrian neighborhood.
I think 13th should be closed to cars. Think of how vibrant it feels when the PDNA has their annual street fair there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1979  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:58 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
Where's Nick Burkhardt going to park his Airstream?
That would be a problem, though I am sure they would say the location has been compromised in the show and have to move it somewhere else iconic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1980  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:59 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
I think 13th should be closed to cars. Think of how vibrant it feels when the PDNA has their annual street fair there.
I am actually surprised it isn't, though if it were to have been closed to cars, that should have been done back when the road was still cobble stone and old rail tracks on it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30 PM.

     
SkyscraperPage.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.