HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:34 PM

Barrhaven Centre and Strandherd must be the closest stations on the entire network. I really don't get why they have two. Especially because the distance between Strandherd and Longfields is pretty long. They should replace Strandherd with one at Berrigan or Highbury Park to even it out.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Barrhaven Centre and Strandherd must be the closest stations on the entire network. I really don't get why they have two.
And Marketplace was to be between the two. Imagine.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Our aim is to force everybody through the faulty Phase 1.
By the time the Barrhaven LRT is actually open, all the teething issues we're having with Phase 1 will be a distant memory.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Barrhaven Centre and Strandherd must be the closest stations on the entire network. I really don't get why they have two. Especially because the distance between Strandherd and Longfields is pretty long. They should replace Strandherd with one at Berrigan or Highbury Park to even it out.
They are not that close, the dot for Strandherd is placed too far south on the map... its actually adjacent to Potrush Avenue not Strandherd, which makes them 700-800m apart - pretty average spacing for our LRT. For the record, I'm also glad they got rid of Marketplace.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:42 PM

^ That makes more sense.

Any bets on when it actually opens? I personally would be shocked if Phase 3 opens before 2030.

Last edited by CityTech; Nov 1, 2019 at 3:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
^ That makes more sense.

Any bets on when it actually opens? I personally would be shocked if Phase 3 opens before 2030.
With Stage 2 west not scheduled to open until 2025, you are right that it won't be before 2030. If I had to guess, it will be 2032, if all goes well, which it probably won't.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
With Stage 2 west not scheduled to open until 2025, you are right that it won't be before 2030. If I had to guess, it will be 2032, if all goes well, which it probably won't.
Good Day.

Silly me could be optimistic and think that if we actually get 50-50 Fed-Prov funding, then it could get into the ground faster ?!
Esp. if the EA's are completed, and an election cycle at both levels approacheth ?!

Silly Me !

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 11:35 PM

A bit late to the party, but the O-Train Fans map now has all of the proposed alignments for the Barrhaven extension: https://map.otrainfans.ca/

Just tap the layers menu in the top right and click on the "Barrhaven Extension" card. It'll show a dropdown list of the different alternatives.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 2:40 PM

Looks awesome. Thanks for the hard work!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:01 PM

The city has posted updated information about the preliminary plan as well as an online consultation regarding the project.

Notably:

They've selected alternative 6 for the stretch between Knoxdale and W Hunt Club, which means elevated track and stations on the West side of Woodroffe. They go in depth on why a below-grade alignment wasn't selected, mainly to do with soil conditions.

Lots of very nice renderings of stations as well as the grade separations happening around Fallowfield. It seems their budget for pretty renders ran out after Fallowfield though...

They also selected Greenbank as the site of a new train storage facility, between Longfields and Strandherd stations.

Lots of other information throughout the slides.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:12 PM

Thanks for posting that!

I wish the Barrhaven extension would be separated from the Kanata extension. With HFR creeping ahead, there's a case emerging to build a west end Confederation Line connection at Fallowfield. Would enable a traveler to get off at Fallowfield, take Line 1 to Moodie and then go to Kanata. From a hypothetical Eglinton station to Fallowfield might be 2.5 hrs. Might actually get some business travelers considering this.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:30 PM

If the money is tight they could always build the Kanata LRT to Terry Fox, and Barrhaven LRT to Fallowfield. The Terry Fox extension didn't seem too expensive from what I recall, and more politically palpable than only doing a Barrhaven extension.

If both happen I could finally stop driving people to VIA Fallowfield

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:35 PM

If you're going to Fallowfield, might as well go the rest of the way. Maintaining a 3 km busway is kind of ridiculous at that point.

But yeah, from the looks of it, HFR could be in service around 2027-2028. If that's going to happen, why not start planning the LRT extension and hopefully get some stimulus money to get this built at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:37 PM

Wow. Surprised they prefer elevated Alternative 6 for Woodroffe & Hunt Club pinch point. I mean it would look cool but cut-and-cover #1 seems like an obvious conservative choice.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:52 PM

Dandy video presentations. Unable to embed them as they are unlisted.

Preliminary recommendations:

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gRM...ature=youtu.be

Baseline to Nepean Sportsplex:

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFf8...ature=youtu.be

Nepean Sportsplex to Barrhaven Town Centre, including maintenance facility:

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svww...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by rocketphish; Sep 9, 2020 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Embedded videos

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Thanks for posting that!

I wish the Barrhaven extension would be separated from the Kanata extension. With HFR creeping ahead, there's a case emerging to build a west end Confederation Line connection at Fallowfield. Would enable a traveler to get off at Fallowfield, take Line 1 to Moodie and then go to Kanata. From a hypothetical Eglinton station to Fallowfield might be 2.5 hrs. Might actually get some business travelers considering this.
Yet another reason the LRT should follow the Beachburg sub, then travel along March Road to the business park. Fewer transfers for the business travellers.

As ridership builds on HFR, you might eventually have a business case to build a VIA station on March Road and in Arnprior.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
Yet another reason the LRT should follow the Beachburg sub, then travel along March Road to the business park. Fewer transfers for the business travellers.

As ridership builds on HFR, you might eventually have a business case to build a VIA station on March Road and in Arnprior.
Unless you have an idea for where VIA could take a route past Arnprior, that'll never happen simply because that's outside of VIA's business model and HFR plans.

For that, you're looking at regional rail brought on either by the provincial government, or Clive Doucet.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 5:53 PM

So we finally learn what it takes for the City of Ottawa to post display boards and other materials prior to fake-consulting the public about something:

A global pandemic.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 6:08 PM

Do they have a price tag? This looks expensive. I'd guess $2B at least.

And there's shit the transit budget shouldn't have to pay for, like a 250 car parking lot at Barrhaven centre, on top off the giant lots they have at Fallowfield. They should be forced to build parking structures and charge for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
Unless you have an idea for where VIA could take a route past Arnprior, that'll never happen simply because that's outside of VIA's business model and HFR plans.

For that, you're looking at regional rail brought on either by the provincial government, or Clive Doucet.
LOL. Clive Doucet.....

Yeah. People are really misunderstanding the point of HFR. Station in Arnprior? No.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 7:41 PM

Might just be me, but I feel like having both Knoxdale and Tallwood in that 1km section of Woodroffe is a little overkill. They could probably consolidate those 2 stations into one to cut costs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation