HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

View Poll Results: Where should there be a new crossing of the Ottawa River
Alexandra Bridge 10 18.18%
Kettle Island 40 72.73%
Deschenes Rapids 10 18.18%
Other 5 9.09%
None 6 10.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
That is always the age old question. Is the speed limit to high or are people driving too slowly. Regardless, 2-lane highways are much more dangerous than 4 lane highways.

I haven't been on the 417 east of Ottawa since the speed limit increase, but before that, the average speed was at least 120. I can only imagine it is even higher now.

EDIT: I did a generic Montreal to Hull routing on Google Maps, and currently the 417 came out on top at 2:08, 4 minutes faster than the A50 (via A15). Given that it is slightly shorter, faster and 4 lanes most of the way (so more predictable), I could imagine truck drivers would lean towards the 417. Widening the A50 would probably tilt the scales to the A50 as they would avoid having to drive through downtown Ottawa (sort of like the butterfly effect).

Admittedly this is just one sample route at one time of day, so YMMV.
How much of a choice do truck drivers have in the route they take?

I would expect most of them have a pre-determined route set out by their employer, monitored by GPS, and that if you diverge from the route you'd need to get that approved by a dispatcher of some kind.

Also, if you look at trucks coming from Montreal to Gatineau (say Labatt, Canadian Tire, Walmart, IGA, bread, dairy, etc.) they have set "runs" whereby they probably do Mirabel-Lachute-Montebello-Papineauville-Buckingham-Masson-East End Gatineau, Hull, etc. in the same day.

I guess you might have trucks who do a straight shot from Montreal to Hull that take the 417 but that's more for those that come from the western part of the island or from the south shore (via A-30).

Again, you probably have "runs" at play and these trucks coming from Montreal probably have business in Ottawa as well before they cross the bridge to Hull.

Finally, the multiple tight turns on Rideau, King Edward, etc. are a huge pain in the ass for truckers. I am sure most would prefer driving on a straight super-2 with passing lanes for a bit instead of going through that.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I mean, if they’re even caught without a speed limiter, it’ll be a nice talk on the roadside with OPP/MTO/SQ/Contrôleur Routier.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I mean, if they’re even caught without a speed limiter, it’ll be a nice talk on the roadside with OPP/MTO/SQ/Contrôleur Routier.
I thought only trucks registered in Ontario and Quebec are required to have speed limiters.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How much of a choice do truck drivers have in the route they take?

I would expect most of them have a pre-determined route set out by their employer, monitored by GPS, and that if you diverge from the route you'd need to get that approved by a dispatcher of some kind.

Also, if you look at trucks coming from Montreal to Gatineau (say Labatt, Canadian Tire, Walmart, IGA, bread, dairy, etc.) they have set "runs" whereby they probably do Mirabel-Lachute-Montebello-Papineauville-Buckingham-Masson-East End Gatineau, Hull, etc. in the same day.

I guess you might have trucks who do a straight shot from Montreal to Hull that take the 417 but that's more for those that come from the western part of the island or from the south shore (via A-30).

Again, you probably have "runs" at play and these trucks coming from Montreal probably have business in Ottawa as well before they cross the bridge to Hull.

Finally, the multiple tight turns on Rideau, King Edward, etc. are a huge pain in the ass for truckers. I am sure most would prefer driving on a straight super-2 with passing lanes for a bit instead of going through that.
I think we are both guessing at this point.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:48 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I thought only trucks registered in Ontario and Quebec are required to have speed limiters.
I think as long as trucks enter ON* or QC, speed limiters become mandatory.
* I have a feeling that if they enter from MB, OPP might not care as much though (unless they’re going at egregious speeds).
Yes, there have been cases where OPP busted truckers going 130 km/h in a 90 km/h. Anyway I digress.

Acajack does have a good point about fixed routes though. I’ve long been guessing that it’s a thing.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I think we are both guessing at this point.
Agreed. Though I still wouldn't expect much relief from truck traffic on King Edward even if/when the A-50 gets expanded to four divided lanes all the way.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation