HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 4:41 AM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
That's not an MCMP design...
But it does look like a Thom Mayne design.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
It's actually 31 stories ON TOP of the 11 stories in the existing building, for a total height of 42 stories and 540 feet, which is perfect for the location. Floorplates range from 14,000sf to 9000sf at the top, which is still larger than at MNP tower. The bulk of the new tower structure will replace the parkade next to 1090, but regular office floors don't begin until level 12. The existing building will undergo a seismic upgrade, with the first 2 floors (where Purolator is) reclad in spider-glass curtain wall to suit high end retail. It's a similar type building to 900 Hastings where Chanel is, and so will go through a similar upgrade.

It's the best of all worlds!

concept design images
Yeah I lied... again (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=186381&page=5).

It's just that whenever I read about what sounds like a tremendous waste of design potential (in this case, waste of existing architecture and waste of buildable air space), I can't help but spend half an hour whipping something together in photoshop. Even if only to remind you of how sucky it turned out to be and what could have been, once the real renders are released.

It was not meant to look like Phare tower, I was just being lazy and overlayed some facade texture into the massing I wanted for the site. To me, the massing is most important. But who knows... with Telus, my hoax turned out to have the exact same massing - right down to the podium - as the real proposal.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 5:57 AM
Be nice.

For some reason the second image reminds me of this.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 7:35 PM
ON3P Skis

I was speaking to someone from Stantec who is working with UBC on doing a reno/expansion of their Robson Square space and he mentioned that the awful awful pagodas *might be disappearing. I know I have my fingers crossed, but we'll have to see what happens.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 8:04 PM

I don't find the pagodas themselves awful, but they should remove the awful tags some idiot has tarnished the southern pagoda glass with. It always hits me whenever I walk by, as it's such a visible place.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 6:47 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
I was speaking to someone from Stantec who is working with UBC on doing a reno/expansion of their Robson Square space and he mentioned that the awful awful pagodas *might be disappearing. I know I have my fingers crossed, but we'll have to see what happens.
Let him know that he has a lot of free labour available on here if that will help keep project costs to an acceptable level.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 9:47 PM

Hey guys, just saw the preliminary designs of a new office building for downtown. It's a LONG way from coming to fruition but the initial concepts/ideas seemed really cool.

Nothing to tall (top of the table kinda thing) but designed by what I would consider an international starchitect.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 10:46 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Hey guys, just saw the preliminary designs of a new office building for downtown. It's a LONG way from coming to fruition but the initial concepts/ideas seemed really cool.

Nothing to tall (top of the table kinda thing) but designed by what I would consider an international starchitect.
Thank you for the information.

But I find it more depressing than exciting to see an otherwise promising tower get castrated by viewcones or some other Vancouver-made reason.

Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 8, 2013 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Why is it that I come to this website hoping it's like a peeler bar, but the peelers are all dressed like nuns?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Why is it that I come to this website hoping it's like a peeler bar, but the peelers are all dressed like nuns?
out of habit, perhaps?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 4:34 PM
Vancouver Moderator

hawhaw

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:

Hmm, I remember very similar comments about multiple other towers:
"Hey, can't say much now, but there's going to be a fantastic tower going up in the city in the near future..."
Inevitably a rendering appears.
It gets dumbed-down by various committes.

We eventually get: Ta-Da...The Rolston ("It's gonna be a Jenga Building!"), or Marine Drive Gateway ("It's like staggered horizontal Jenga blocks!"), or the hotel Georgia ("It's like glass cubes...that look like Jenga!"). And on and on.

So whilst I still hold *some* optimism because there are one or two buildings that made it through this process of removing all creativity, as they say, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 9:42 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Think members need to pay more attention to who says the things, instead of just what is said... I tend to trust LeftCoaster's voice on these matters as he's shown to be be quite trustworthy over the years.
I know i seldom make comments about future projects being spectacular just because of the amount of criticism on this board. The only exception I can think of on my part was the BIG proposal for Howe St.
There is one more upcoming project that I feel will land into that category but it's still much to early in the process to release details on.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 1:06 AM
Vancouver Moderator

LeftCoaster also just said it seemed really cool.

He didn't say it was a 250m violet glass curtainwalled cylinder with a retail and office podium, that was gauranteed to have no Subways, nail salons and banks, but only counterculture record stores and foodie restaurants.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
LeftCoaster also just said it seemed really cool.

He didn't say it was a 250m violet glass curtainwalled cylinder with a retail and office podium, that was gauranteed to have no Subways, nail salons and banks, but only counterculture record stores and foodie restaurants.
And an observation deck with green roof.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 9:14 PM

Awesome. Love that design.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 9:55 PM

Nice.
Is that the Oxford tower on Melville?
Or the one on Pender @ Thurlow?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:22 AM

If recent history teaches us anything, if it is a shorter, smaller building it might have some interesting design features. If its anything taller, then it must be a plain rectangle with clear or green glass. If you're really living on the edge Vancouver style, it MIGHT even include...wait for it... a PROTRUDING BOX!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
If recent history teaches us anything, if it is a shorter, smaller building it might have some interesting design features. If its anything taller, then it must be a plain rectangle with clear or green glass. If you're really living on the edge Vancouver style, it MIGHT even include...wait for it... a PROTRUDING BOX!
this is the truth

I don't get why it's so tough to allow for interesting architecture.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Hey!! Prodruding boxes are cool and beautiful. So is lower-cost green glass. So are truncated buildings. Lighten up! These are becoming the Hallmarks of Vancouver Design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver