HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
There is also an 840 sq ft studio plus other sizes, and a 1385 sq ft 1 bedroom. Lots of options...almost too many?
I have lived in 2 high rise buildings in town (optima biltmore and now W6) my thing is all view. I need a good view so I am willing pay more or have less SQ FT for a higher unit with a great view.

1 bedrooms in w6 go the fastest ive been told from property mgmt. I think the wide range allows more young professionals downtown. I think the variance is a good thing as prices will be flexed to allow for greater occupancy.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 1:01 AM
BANNED

Met friends at Blue Hound Kitchen at The Palomar this past Friday. Food was really really creative and tasty. What impressed me was most though was being at Cityscape. People were everywhere, the ice skaters, shoppers, tourists...it was hoppin'! It felt very urban and diverse. Really, put me in the Christmas spirit. Nice to be surprised by something that I've dismissed on occasion.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 4:26 AM

I was at the copper blues a couple of Saturdays ago and the place was going off along with most stuff in Cityscape! I agree it was a real nice too see! I know there's a couple other bars on the same street but further down like bar smiths and so. Would be great to see some fill in the middle plus maybe that Adams street thing going could create a real destination place not just one cool spot! We stayed at the downtown Hyatt and walked to Copper Blues wouldve been really cool to have a night scene from there all the way to cityscape instead of those dead zones!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 1:41 AM
skyscrapers!

The Downtown Phoenix Journal posted an article today about the CityScape Apartments, the last phase of CityScape. The first residents are expected to move in February 1, but the entire project will not be completed util April. Rent starts at $1027 for a studio, $1200 from a 1 bedroom, and $2000 for a 2 bedroom. Very reasonable, IMO, for downtown and for the amenities of room service, a pool, and a 24 hour fitness center.

Compared to the initial renderings in 2006, I would say that the development fell far short, but at least something was built. This development adds a lot of energy into downtown.

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...t-up-downtown/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoboy61 View Post
The Downtown Phoenix Journal posted an article today about the CityScape Apartments, the last phase of CityScape. The first residents are expected to move in February 1, but the entire project will not be completed util April. Rent starts at $1027 for a studio, $1200 from a 1 bedroom, and $2000 for a 2 bedroom. Very reasonable, IMO, for downtown and for the amenities of room service, a pool, and a 24 hour fitness center.

Compared to the initial renderings in 2006, I would say that the development fell far short, but at least something was built. This development adds a lot of energy into downtown.

Sad the initial plans never planned out, but this is better than nothing. I have a couple of friends moving in soon so I can't wait to check them out.

Let's all hope they are successful at renting them all out quickly to finally give downtown some much needed good news on residential high rise living. .

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoboy61 View Post

those are cheap prices if you ask me!! (compared to other high rise condos) I did notice 44 Monroe prices are a bit more but the SQ per each unit is amazing there

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 5:04 AM

Cityscape has turned out to be pretty unattractive, in my opinion. It looks like a child could have designed it. Colors are cool but please, please, please Phoenix....no more boxes.

BTW check out this new blog: http://westcoastarch.blogspot.com/

has some articles pertaining to Phoenix and should have one or two up about CityScape soon.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 5:28 AM

I think the 2nd tower is decent looking, but tower 1 could've been built anywhere, and the retail block was a disaster. Part of it can't be blamed on RED: the air rights were pulled and so apartments were a no-go above the retail, and the requirement for public space all but guaranteed an inward design to incorporate a plaza of some sort. But, the huge gray walls, massive rooftop (how awesome would a lawn be for dining or farmers markets/concerts?), tacky billboards were all their doing.

But, ultimately, the biggest failure of all is what CityScape did to Jefferson. The Luhrs buildings deserve much more than a series of loading zones and garage entrances facing them, and with all the talk about the new Luhrs hotel and the Barrister building, it's very sad we lost the chance to have 2 sides of shopping leading into our sports district.

Le sigh.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
But, ultimately, the biggest failure of all is what CityScape did to Jefferson. The Luhrs buildings deserve much more than a series of loading zones and garage entrances facing them, and with all the talk about the new Luhrs hotel and the Barrister building, it's very sad we lost the chance to have 2 sides of shopping leading into our sports district.
Totally Agreed. I always thought that that was incredibly tacky. Woulda been cool to have that sort of streetscape/pedestrian oriented environment like in the interior of CityScape. RED had a huge opportunity to completely transform Downtown Phoenix and, quite honestly, blew it. I can't help but wonder what the development would have looked like had the original plans been implemented and not scaled back (The one with 4 towers).

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:54 AM

Like I mentioned, they were kind of forced into a box given the requirements of including a park/public space within the design, so the back of house had to go somewhere. The east side of the development is actually pretty damn good. There is a ton of street level action beneath the Palomar and the office tower.

The two remaining towers would've been essentially what we got with the office and hotel towers. A nice chunk of street level retail, but without the horrible, suburban pedestrian bridge/change of grade.

**PURELY HYPOTHETICAL**

I almost wish that, once they knew the apartments were out, they pulled back from the PSP block and somehow got another mid-rise apartment tower built on the north side of the Colliers lot instead. The PSP retail turned out so cheap and such a waste of space, and the retail mix would make so much more sense in a true urban, street-facing environment. Lucky Strike, Copper Blues and Gypsy Bar are perfect on the north side across from Bar Smith and PHX; the restaurants would thrive anywhere, and Urban Outfitters could go on the east side that has most visibility toward Colliers and sports fans.

Then, a limited budget could be thrown into PSP pending changes to the market where they could think of a better floor plan sans apartments. Changes in the meantime could include billboards surrounding a PHX bird monument, used as advertising revenue in the day, and playing films on weekend nights; cleaning up the dead lawns and adding water features and seating.

//dream.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 3:34 AM

More businesses are heading to Downtown Phoenix, AZ with the opening of The Pizza Studio and V’s Barbershop at CityScape Phoenix.

The Pizza Studio, a fast-casual, create-your-own pizza restaurant, will open tomorrow next to Urban Outfitters.

V’s Barbershop will open its 9th Valley location at CityScape with a 5-chair shop. It will be the first V’s to obtain a liquor license and serve craft beer (only $2) and wine (only $4).

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...hoenix-lm.html

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:47 PM

Ah, didn't realize the barbershop served alcohol; I'd been to the one in Scottsdale Quarter for business, and while it was fun, I'm not sure I'd go on my own dime. Good to see unique places like that opening, but odd we haven't heard much buzz about the new openings.

A new salon has also replaced the former one on the upper level near Urban Outfitters.

With the addition of the barbershop, and a dry cleaners next to Blue Hound, CityScape's retail is 99.9% leases; only 1 space remains - on the second level of the office tower, next to the Barbershop, overlooking 1st St.

2nd floor retail is tough - not surprised to see "destination retail" like Copper Blues, Lucky Strike, and Stand Up Live survive, while the others come and go. I suppose the new residents would help, however.

CityScape is sponsoring a small fundraiser event I'm putting together for HALO Animal Rescue (along with FEZ, and Phoenix Art Museum tried, but the timing didn't work out; so, if you're debating on where to get drinks or brunch in midtown, definitely go with FEZ!), so I'm going to have to be nice for quite a while. I'm confirming receipt of the prizes today, and am going to slip in a few friendly suggestions. Never hurts!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:03 PM
Skyriser

Offtopic, but thank you so much for working with HALO. I got my cat Tucker from HALO, got their advice for my other cat, and they've been on my Christmas gift list ever since.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Offtopic, but thank you so much for working with HALO. I got my cat Tucker from HALO, got their advice for my other cat, and they've been on my Christmas gift list ever since.
That's awesome! This will be my 3rd year hosting a fundraiser for them; first year I even considered obtaining sponsors. They're a fantastic organization, and so grateful for every dollar sent their way. Very happy a co-worker introduced me to them a few years back. In my fantasy world where PetSmart builds their HQ tower downtown, the urban dog park will be anchored by a new center for them.

To be slightly more on-topic: after thanking her, I simply mentioned whether they had considered adding rooftop patios atop the retail annex to offer Copper Blues, Lucky Strike and Gypsy Bar the best views of Phoenix's most historic sites (alternative ideas being open green space to hold their free Yoga and to host events such as a farmer's market, sidewalk sale, etc.). Had to sneak in a suggestion in there somehow... that roof is simply awful, and ruined by view when I stayed at the Palomar last summer.

It's touches like those that make Phoenix seem so mid-level.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 12:19 PM

Heard about it and couldn't find it. Now it opens on Thursday. The barber shop and bar, I forget the name, opens on Thursday. It is located where the Russian Vodka Bar was going to go, on the north east side of the office tower, across from Tilted Kilt. I went inside. It looks really cool. Looks like high quality barber and all the amenities + a full bar. I talked to the owner and he seemed like a good guy.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 3:59 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Heard about it and couldn't find it. Now it opens on Thursday. The barber shop and bar, I forget the name, opens on Thursday. It is located where the Russian Vodka Bar was going to go, on the north east side of the office tower, across from Tilted Kilt. I went inside. It looks really cool. Looks like high quality barber and all the amenities + a full bar. I talked to the owner and he seemed like a good guy.
V is the name of the barbershop. I used to go to the original location in Arcadia. I now go to another barbershop but will consider V at CityScape if I'm ever looking for a new place.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
V is the name of the barbershop. I used to go to the original location in Arcadia. I now go to another barbershop but will consider V at CityScape if I'm ever looking for a new place.
This is a business worth supporting. It's a homegrown franchise with locations opening up around the country. The guy who started it is a barber-entrepreneur.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 6:58 PM

I really liked the vibe inside. The owner that I talked to really has a great attitude and business idea. Having a beer or drink while waiting makes it almost worth going early or letting the guy after you go first!!!!!

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 9:21 PM

Thanks for the reviews. Sucks that he was left with, IMO, the worst spot in CityScape. Or, do you think the hotel and gym traffic balances out the lack of foot traffic/visibility? Too bad an extra space couldn't fit in along Washington or between Jos A Bank and Charming Charlie's.

I think it might've helped to have had a Drybar/women's version next door.

Hope it does well. I think this makes CityScape retail 100% filled.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 10:55 PM

delete.. not meant for this thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest