HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Not really a take. Just fact. I was expecting more negativity on gentrification from them.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 12:01 AM

Yeah I was expecting that they would have an issue with a tall building ruining Crescents indy music lineup or some other absurd claim but they didnt just seems to be an information dump

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 12:16 AM
Skyriser

I found that piece to be oddly lacking in flame-fanning and loose opinion for the New Times. I mean, I like some of that stuff, but this was responsible journalism for a short piece.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 9:56 PM

DOWNTOWN NEEDS TO SHIFT NORTHWEST (kinda along grand ave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Phoenix will truly be a different city when these go up. The center of gravity downtown shifting a bit to the west with development accelerating in all directions. Really hope to hear about a groundbreaking soon!

DTWN needs to actually shift NORTHWEST, like along Grand ave,
The Height Restrictions ARE HIGHER. And its going further away from the sky harbor flight line.
In that case Grand ave. would be REALLY GRAND

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbuild View Post
DTWN needs to actually shift NORTHWEST, like along Grand ave,
The Height Restrictions ARE HIGHER. And its going further away from the sky harbor flight line.
In that case Grand ave. would be REALLY GRAND
I would love to "Make Grand Grand Again." I don't see it thought... I hope that we can get the Grand Avenue Street Car project revived. That would be game changing.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 5:06 AM

No new info to share, for those of you that saw Astra at the top with a new post and got excited, sorry. I just wanted to say that this HAS to happen. I have a good feeling it will based on all of the progress so far, but just getting this going and finally replacing Chase as our new tallest will make me feel almost like the Diamondbacks winning the world series did. I wasn't sure I'd ever see a Phoenix team win a championship after growing into a sports fan with the Cards and Suns being a disappointment (mostly the Suns, the Cards just always sucked)... just like in the 20 years I've been on this forum, and the years before that I was interested in Phoenix/skyscrapers, I wasn't sure I'd ever see Phoenix get a new tallest.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 6:59 PM

^ Agreed. It's like the excitement I felt when I heard Lucas was making new SW films way back in '93 or '94. Couldn't believe it but always hoped!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 11:32 PM

A question for you engineer-types: is there any regulation or reason (in Phoenix) that stipulates if a building is a certain height, the street must correspondingly be widened? It's a stretch but am curious if this might explain the additional northbound lane planned for 2nd Ave.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
A question for you engineer-types: is there any regulation or reason (in Phoenix) that stipulates if a building is a certain height, the street must correspondingly be widened? It's a stretch but am curious if this might explain the additional northbound lane planned for 2nd Ave.
From what I understand, this is a request from the Phoenix Fire Department. I guess it's the FD stance that they will not fight a fire from the alley and since 2nd Ave is only 2-lanes, an additional lane would be needed in case of an emergency. I always thought it would be for the anticipated influx of traffic with Astra and the other Fore project down the street.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
From what I understand, this is a request from the Phoenix Fire Department. I guess it's the FD stance that they will not fight a fire from the alley and since 2nd Ave is only 2-lanes, an additional lane would be needed in case of an emergency. I always thought it would be for the anticipated influx of traffic with Astra and the other Fore project down the street.
I heard a similar thing, something about 'awestruck' traffic stopping to watch and preventing the trucks from reaching the fire. Not a fan of an additional lane, but I doubt there's much room for discussion if the FD is claiming public safety. I feel a cut out for a fire lane would appease everyone.

I guess, it's too bad the hoses can't stretch down the Paseo from the 4th Ave station.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 6:42 PM

Quote:
The fire angle makes zero sense if true. If there's a fire they'd just close the street and fight the fire. You're right about the increase in traffic.

To the person that asked... there's nothing about a building's height that would trigger the need for a new lane, however, a development's anticipated additional traffic might. More residents/buildings will generate more traffic and improvements may be needed to the existing roadway network to accommodate the additional traffic (no, we're not starting a discussion on cars vs peds vs transit users, etc.). The City has a consultant doing a comprehensive downtown traffic study due to all of the development. They're determining what improvements will be needed to the street network to handle the influx of development. I don't know the details, but I'd imagine this study, or one specific to Astra, has determined an additional lane is needed. There are also going to be additional traffic signals needed at a couple intersections (not sure which ones) in the area.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
The fire angle makes zero sense if true. If there's a fire they'd just close the street and fight the fire. You're right about the increase in traffic.

To the person that asked... there's nothing about a building's height that would trigger the need for a new lane, however, a development's anticipated additional traffic might. More residents/buildings will generate more traffic and improvements may be needed to the existing roadway network to accommodate the additional traffic (no, we're not starting a discussion on cars vs peds vs transit users, etc.). The City has a consultant doing a comprehensive downtown traffic study due to all of the development. They're determining what improvements will be needed to the street network to handle the influx of development. I don't know the details, but I'd imagine this study, or one specific to Astra, has determined an additional lane is needed. There are also going to be additional traffic signals needed at a couple intersections (not sure which ones) in the area.
I can't speak to this particular structure, but Diablo is right about fighting fires from alleys. In general, it only adds unessessary risk.

As far as just shutting down a street, that happens with every structure fire where any traffic flow impedes firefighting. PD traffic control is the one of the first things addressed in an initial follow-up onscene report.

But that's not really the issue with tight roads in mid-to-high rise firefighting. The collapse zone is one of the overriding concerns. The tighter the access, the more it forces your hand in apparatus placement, rather than you dictating the tactics

That said, I'm not sure if Fire Prevention is involved in this particular situation at this property.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:44 PM

Question up soon on is the final hearing for Astra change of height restriction coming?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:54 PM

I should check writing before posting. What as the date for Astra final hearing?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
I should check writing before posting. What as the date for Astra final hearing?
Wanna try again? All kidding aside, I did a quick check but wasn't able to find anything. Hopefully soon...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 7:40 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Wanna try again? All kidding aside, I did a quick check but wasn't able to find anything. Hopefully soon...
It was pushed back from the original hearing date. I forget why and when, but it should be soon. I don't anticipate any problem with the height getting approved.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 12:03 AM

Anyone hearing anything new on this, timing or anything? Sorry to get everyone looking at a new post, but thought I woud check in.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 12:50 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Anyone hearing anything new on this, timing or anything? Sorry to get everyone looking at a new post, but thought I woud check in.
Heck, I can't even find the zoning hearing anymore (Z-TA-2-20-7) to increase the height or when it was held. I'm kinda short on time, so I'll dig a little deeper tomorrow morning unless someone else beats me to the punch.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Heck, I can't even find the zoning hearing anymore (Z-TA-2-20-7) to increase the height or when it was held. I'm kinda short on time, so I'll dig a little deeper tomorrow morning unless someone else beats me to the punch.
So I have been playing with pdd community map, on the upper right corner, the icon that resembles a person with a big head and arms open you can find any plan review, permits, proposed zoning and zoning request.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pdd/mycommunitymap

https://phoenix.maps.arcgis.com/apps...34be1beab5fe96

Unfortunately with Astra address and PAPP#, nothing comes up outside of the Pre App

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 4:22 PM

Should we be worried for this project? I woudn't like Aspirqnt would gothis far to back out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest