HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 1:44 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Are you talking about comparing the real building to the renderings or the older iteration?
TK, yes. I keep hearing from looking at the photos of the real bldg that certain architectural elements were eliminated and it doesn't look like what was in the original rendering.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
TK, yes. I keep hearing from looking at the photos of the real bldg that certain architectural elements were eliminated and it doesn't look like what was in the original rendering.
The entire design of the building changed. All the interesting balconies and ledges were removed.

The building looks pretty nice in person, but it's a significant downgrade from what was originally supposed to have been built.

Proposed:

Reality:

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:03 AM

An old rinky dink rowhome building sitting right against a modern glass highrise? I love the contrast personally.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:07 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
The entire design of the building changed. All the interesting balconies and ledges were removed.

The building looks pretty nice in person, but it's a significant downgrade from what was originally supposed to have been built.

Proposed:

Reality:

Thanks! The photos of the proposed and actual are very noticeable. Picture is worth a thousand words.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:17 AM
Philly Rising Up!

[QUOTE=TonyTone;9625379]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
4/30

The fact that that little bar did not sell out or at least try to get space in the new building is a shame.

Why be petty and not allow MARKET st to grow. it's not like this is Oldcity it's a main commercial corridor.
This is a good photo from TonyTone. Zoom in if you are on a smart phone. Some kind of patch work near the front and top. And hard to tell the rest of the exterior condition of it. And, there's nothing interesting architecturally about this rowhome looking bldg. And quite frankly, it could use an exterior renovation as it give off a vibe that who ever owns it doesn't give two sh*ts on how it looks or that there's any semblance of quality to it. I'll take a brownstone or handsome brick bldg in its place as contrast to the new construction that abuts it. Hell, even something that appears in decent shape and has some interesting architecturally elements would be better than this. Oh well, to each their own.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:54 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

[QUOTE=iheartphilly;9625953]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post

This is a good photo from TonyTone. Zoom in if you are on a smart phone. Some kind of patch work near the front and top. And hard to tell the rest of the exterior condition of it. And, there's nothing interesting architecturally about this rowhome looking bldg. And quite frankly, it could use an exterior renovation as it give off a vibe that who ever owns it doesn't give two sh*ts on how it looks or that there's any semblance of quality to it. I'll take a brownstone or handsome brick bldg in its place as contrast to the new construction that abuts it. Hell, even something that appears in decent shape and has some interesting architecturally elements would be better than this. Oh well, to each their own.
Oringally Blarts photo I think lol.

However that's exactly what im saying everyone can say the "contrast is nice, Old and new, Blasé blasé"

This is the point blank period with that commercial row home and building next to it.

The developers didn't offer the owners of those buildings what they felt was "enough capital buyout" and they said

"well shoot this is Market st and you're building a skyscraper f that im staying and im gonna screw with your project".

Little kid games, now of course this is America you can own a plot of land next to the empire state building and not sell out because you don't want to.

Land of the free.

This persons property isn't anything spectacular and is just a dive bar from what I heard, why not make it worth your while and get a spot in the new building on that same corner or relocate to an even better area?

But it is what it is and the job is done at least they will get new customers from the law office after work or even during lunch.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 12:35 PM

I don't understand why comparing old renderings with the current design means elements are missing. The building recieved a new design and current in June 2020 and looks just like those renderings, but obviously doesn't look like the 2019 renderings because the design was changed. I like the version that was built better, the old iteration was too blocky for me, while the angled cuts give some character to this building

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=allovertown;9625945]

Proposed:

Reality:

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:16 PM

[QUOTE=TonyTone;9625980]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post

Oringally Blarts photo I think lol.

However that's exactly what im saying everyone can say the "contrast is nice, Old and new, Blasé blasé"

This is the point blank period with that commercial row home and building next to it.

The developers didn't offer the owners of those buildings what they felt was "enough capital buyout" and they said

"well shoot this is Market st and you're building a skyscraper f that im staying and im gonna screw with your project".

Little kid games, now of course this is America you can own a plot of land next to the empire state building and not sell out because you don't want to.

Land of the free.

This persons property isn't anything spectacular and is just a dive bar from what I heard, why not make it worth your while and get a spot in the new building on that same corner or relocate to an even better area?

But it is what it is and the job is done at least they will get new customers from the law office after work or even during lunch.
“Just a dive bar” means different things to different people. I think neighborhood bars can be important. I’ve only been to this place a couple times and it was years ago so I’m not familiar enough with this place to speak intelligently on it but I like the contrast of a neighborhood bar within the high rises. I think it’s important to to integrity of the neighborhood as well to have these types of establishments. I also agree it could use a facelift

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I don't understand why comparing old renderings with the current design means elements are missing. The building recieved a new design and current in June 2020 and looks just like those renderings, but obviously doesn't look like the 2019 renderings because the design was changed. I like the version that was built better, the old iteration was too blocky for me, while the angled cuts give some character to this building
That's fine if you like the new design better. I disagree. Think it's pretty natural to compare what was built to what was originally proposed.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:25 PM

This morning:

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 10:38 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Nice, PHL. From your angle of the photos, I like how it shows the asymmetric geometry of the building. Cool stuff.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:03 PM
PHL

This thing looks like sh*t on this forum but honestly pretty cool in person

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
This thing looks like sh*t on this forum but honestly pretty cool in person
Completely agreed. The massing looks weird in photos, but when viewed in person actually on Market Street, with the other buildings around it, it blends in nicely imo.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Completely agreed. The massing looks weird in photos, but when viewed in person actually on Market Street, with the other buildings around it, it blends in nicely imo.
I also agree that this looks great in person. In fact, there are two current projects where the pictures only look so-so but look so much better in person: this project and the new Jefferson building at East Market.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 9:59 PM

[QUOTE=Mayormccheese;9626152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post

“Just a dive bar” means different things to different people. I think neighborhood bars can be important. I’ve only been to this place a couple times and it was years ago so I’m not familiar enough with this place to speak intelligently on it but I like the contrast of a neighborhood bar within the high rises. I think it’s important to to integrity of the neighborhood as well to have these types of establishments. I also agree it could use a facelift
Put my vote down in favor of the dive bars.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 11:03 AM

Snapped this pic during a bike ride yesterday on the MLK bridge. 2222 Market really fills in the skyline view from this angle.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Snapped this pic during a bike ride yesterday on the MLK bridge. 2222 Market really fills in the skyline view from this angle.

wow, beautiful shot

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 1:35 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post

Nice...the "new" Philadelphia! Just adding a few new buildings in this skyline radically changes how we see the city.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 4:41 PM
PHL

Wow that is a seriously excellent shot. What a beautiful city. 2222 Market is cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive