HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:27 PM
Pacific Wonderland

East Hollywood Target progress:

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 7:16 PM

Are there any plans for the parking lot at Hollywood/Vine? It saddens me to see such a prominent intersection with a vacant lot.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoronel View Post
Are there any plans for the parking lot at Hollywood/Vine? It saddens me to see such a prominent intersection with a vacant lot.
I believe you're referring to the site of the proposed second phase of Blvd6200

http://www.blvd6200.com/Pages/Project-Description.aspx

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 8:26 PM

I thought that was Hollywood/Argyle. I'm talking about the NW corner of Hollywood/Vine.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I thought that was Hollywood/Argyle. I'm talking about the NW corner of Hollywood/Vine.
Ohh I see my bad! Idk why I thought you meant that lot.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
Ohh I see my bad! Idk why I thought you meant that lot.
It's a much smaller lot, won't be as monolithic as the project at HW/Argyle.

I believe it is one of those lots slated for a high-rise if the Hollywood Community Plan is allowed to go forward (not sure what the plan's legal status is at this time).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Coincidentally, the Atlantic just ran an article about Hollywood Boulevard in the late 70's/early 1980's, featuring a photo of what used to be there:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...9-1983/100783/

With 90% of the parking lots in a half-mile radius destined for hotel, residential or office, it's probably just a matter of time for this one.

Last edited by blackcat23; Jul 31, 2014 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:15 PM

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/...9#.U9vipaN5CxU

Gensler Goes Hollywood with “Vertical Campus”

by Anna Bergren Miller

Hudson Pacific Properties is banking on the continued appeal of Hollywood office space with its Icon at Sunset Bronson Studios, a 14-story tower designed by Gensler. Targeting creative professionals, Icon reconfigured the suburban campus typology for an urban setting. Gensler associate Amy Pokawatana called the development a “vertical campus,” blending “work, relaxation, and recreation.” Part of a $150 million studio expansion, the project takes its cue from a six-story building the developer finished on the Sunset Gower Studios lot in 2008.

The building features five rectangular, stacked volumes, offset horizontally to create exterior terraces. The high-performance envelope alternates between glass curtain wall and precast panels to break down the scale and frame views to downtown LA, the Hollywood sign, and the Santa Monica Bay. In addition to providing outdoor green space on multiple floors, the design incorporates flexibility and connectivity. Large floor plates and connections between floors allow for both open and traditional office layouts, said Pokawatana.

Icon is located near several historic Hollywood buildings, including its next-door neighbor, the Executive Office Building (EOB), once the headquarters of Warner Bros. The design is set back from Sunset Boulevard to provide views to the EOB, while the height of the tower’s first volume coincides with the older building’s eave-line. In addition, said Pokawatana, “White, precast, freestanding columns that front the tower are a modern nod to the historic colonnade on the EOB facade. Punched windows in the precast facade mimic the simple rhythm of the windows at the EOB.”

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/...9#.U9vipaN5CxU

Gensler Goes Hollywood with “Vertical Campus”

This looks really great to me, love the added density and "feet on the street" while maintaining the historic building to the west. Only real change is that they are moving that historic antennae, looks great where they put it, right on Sunset Blvd - adds a little interest to the end of the block which is just hedges and a painted metal gate.

It's funny that Hollywood is getting some of the best architecture in the city. Have the renderings for the Palladium towers been released?

And I believe BlackCat also posted about a development right next to the Metropolitan tower, so this area would look even better than that rendering in a few years. This end of Sunset is really blowing up, I'm kind of sad I didn't find an apartment in this part of town.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 11:13 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...osed-near.html

Building Los Angeles reports that a large mixed-use project with 202 apartments is coming to the corner of Hollywood, Sunset, and Hillhurst.

This could be a big deal if it's designed well. Despite being very close to each other, the hotspots of Los Feliz and Silver Lake are horribly connected from a pedestrian's perspective, largely since the sidewalks around this part of Sunset are lined with an inhospitable amount of surface parking.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:08 PM

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...808-story.html

China Developer Buys Robinsons-May Site in Beverly Hills

Establishing a major new beachhead in Hollywood, Wanda Group -- China’s largest commercial property developer and owner of the AMC theater chain -- said Friday it has bought the site of the former Robinsons-May department store in Beverly Hills and will invest $1.2 billion to build a mixed-use development on the plot. No sales price was revealed.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Wanda Group
Ah, that's that same developer who bought into that new supertall proposal in Chicago and last month said they were looking at sites in LA.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:29 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...ilding-to.html

Five story residential-retail development on Westwood Boulevard, north of Olympic. 63 apartments (6 low-income), 5,500 sq ft retail.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 4:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Not a huge fan of the design, but the one further up north near Santa Monica is nice.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Not a huge fan of the design, but the one further up north near Santa Monica is nice.
Yeah, this one is a stinker. I really don't understand why it's so hard to design something that doesn't look outdated out of the gate? Those balconies pull it right back to the 60s in a bad way, and what's with that weird fence at the top left?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 10:36 PM

Sorry for the shitty quality, everything is from my phone and involved my poor photo skills.

6th and Broadway apartments in Santa Monica

[IMG] by krljenkins13, on Flickr[/IMG]

Century West Development's Gibson apartments in Santa Monica

[IMG]Untitled by krljenkins13, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Vermont

I cannot emphasize the positive effect the project has had on the streetscape. Even though the parking in the podium is poorly hid, the street level engagement is fantastic.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 10:37 PM

I'm really bad at this. Why are the pictures so small? ^

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 10:41 PM

Those buildings in SM are awful. They would be fine west LA but downtown SM is the one place that needs highrises. They are running out of space accept for a few spots on 2nd street. I always envisioned SM as turning into the SF of Social. Now it looks like most of the towers there were canceled.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Those buildings in SM are awful. They would be fine west LA but downtown SM is the one place that needs highrises. They are running out of space accept for a few spots on 2nd street. I always envisioned SM as turning into the SF of Social. Now it looks like most of the towers there were canceled.
I would love to see high rises, but Santa Monica is notoriously difficult to develop in. The city and a few community opposition groups make it nearly impossible to develop anything denser than this. In fact, even these types of projects are considered too dense by opposition groups. Very dumb and short-sighted in my opinion.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 11:27 PM

What's the status on the Gherry and Fairmont towers proposed? I think the Rem Koolhas project was canceled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations