HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
Great pic!

Amazing to me that ASU hasn't at least painted the University Towers by now. It's such a prominent location; have to imagine that there's a bigger plan for it i.e. scrape & build new or thoroughly remodel, but I'll keep hoping for some fresh white/maroon paint.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:40 AM

Tempe Mayor Mitchell made 2 new emergency declarations today due to the COVID-19 situation. The second one provides temporary one-year extensions to a variety of permits needed for residents and developers to bring their projects to completion:

"The second emergency declaration is a proactive effort to keep development moving forward. Tempe has one of the highest commercial development occupancy rates in the country. Our community is a magnet for regional headquarters for financial, technology and insurance companies. These businesses provide high paying jobs for Tempe residents. These jobs will be needed now more than ever. But we can’t accommodate these industries without more space for more companies. We also need more housing for the workforce that will fill some of these positions.

Uncertain times like these can cause delays in lending, construction and more. To keep the economy moving forward, the City of Tempe has enacted temporary one-year extensions to a variety of permits needed for developers to bring their projects to completion.

These extensions are not only for developers. They also apply to residents who are working on their homes. They cover permits needed to remodel homes or add garages or accessory buildings.

These permits include the automatic renewal of:
  • Development Plan Review
  • Minor General Plan Amendments
  • Subdivision Plats
  • Use Permits
  • Variances and Sign Review/Permits
  • Other administrative actions

All projects with construction documents in review for either a building permit or engineering permit and all Building Safety permitted plans will be extended for one year from the date of expiration. Also, through Dec. 31, 2020, the City of Tempe will consider administrative approval to defer initiating default or cure provisions under a development agreement for excusable delay of defaults, breaches and anticipatory breaches of obligations that are a result of coronavirus (COVID-19.) A written request to Tempe’s Economic Development Director or Community Development Director is required for this.

The City of Tempe also wants to ensure that our residents continue to have the opportunity to provide their input on projects. Even though right now we cannot gather in person to discuss projects, it is vital that we continue to hear from our residents. To keep us all safe and yet continue to keep us informed and involved, the City of Tempe is lifting the requirement for in-person neighborhood meetings. Instead, developers will be required to conduct neighborhood meetings virtually. Proposed site plans, elevations, landscapes and explanation of the project must be provided to everyone. A 15-day comment period is also required. People must be able to email, call or virtually meet directly with an applicant or project team.

At this time, no virtual neighborhood meetings are scheduled for development projects."

Read the proclamation: https://tempe.us19.list-manage.com/t...5&e=816a1fb7d3

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Great pic!

Amazing to me that ASU hasn't at least painted the University Towers by now. It's such a prominent location; have to imagine that there's a bigger plan for it i.e. scrape & build new or thoroughly remodel, but I'll keep hoping for some fresh white/maroon paint.
They just need to knock those towers down and build new. And I only say this due to painful memories of that place since it housed the PTS offices. Spent many a time there paying off parking tickets and other fees

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:40 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I thought that was odd too but the building will be tall enough and the boom goes straight into the air above it.
True on the boom. I suppose that accounts for about 150' of height by itself

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:37 PM

Peeking through the fence at 100 Mill:

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 7:12 PM
Skyriser

Wait a sec, I thought 100 Mill was on the opposite side of Mill from the silos?

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 9:10 PM

It is. Mill ave runs north south between that Allstate building and the silos in the first picture

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:52 AM

I wonder what happened to the structure that was unearthed during excavation.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 3:55 PM
Modulator

So looking at the Novus webcam, http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...94487673&HLS=1 (for those that don't have it), it looks like the Pier tower crane was raised. Can anyone verify or swing by and grab a pic?

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
I wonder what happened to the structure that was unearthed during excavation.
They only do a survey of it and when the Archaeological Society is done it's off to the dumpster unless a museum/ school/ other entity wants to pay to remove it or take artifacts from the dig.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
So looking at the Novus webcam, http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...94487673&HLS=1 (for those that don't have it), it looks like the Pier tower crane was raised. Can anyone verify or swing by and grab a pic?
No Pic but I drove by late last week and it was raised quite a bit! I also saw another crane base being formed... cant confirm if that was the case or if it was additional parts for the first but I know this is a two tower project.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
They only do a survey of it and when the Archaeological Society is done it's off to the dumpster unless a museum/ school/ other entity wants to pay to remove it or take artifacts from the dig.
Thanks for the info. Must not have been that important.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Wow never knew that, makes you wonder how much cool stuff has probably been dumped over the years.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I actually grabbed a couple on my way in today.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 9:04 PM

I also grabbed some pictures of 707 Forest and I.D.E.A.:

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 5:56 PM

Hello Hilo

Hi All, been following this forum for a little while and decided to join in to contribute. This is a render I put together for fun showing what it might look like to have Hilo, Westin and Oliv built up along with the Streetcar.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintur View Post
Hi All, been following this forum for a little while and decided to join in to contribute. This is a render I put together for fun showing what it might look like to have Hilo, Westin and Oliv built up along with the Streetcar.
Nice to meet you Vintur and welcome to the forum! Thank you for your contribution!

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintur View Post
I said it before and I’ll say it again, if Hilo gets built, it will be one of my favorite new-builds in the Valley. Would love to know if there’s a rooftop garden or something slated, I can’t tell if that’s a greenhouse peaking over the ledge.

Anyways, welcome to the jungle, Vintur and great rendering!

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I said it before and I’ll say it again, if Hilo gets built, it will be one of my favorite new-builds in the Valley. Would love to know if there’s a rooftop garden or something slated, I can’t tell if that’s a greenhouse peaking over the ledge.

Anyways, welcome to the jungle, Vintur and great rendering!
Thanks to both! Good to be here.

Hilo: https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=76307

According to their doc, it looks to be a public terrace + pool/hot tub (on page "attachment 62"), but a rooftop garden / park would be a great change from everything else in Tempe!

I'm also curious about the strip on University (Salvation Army + Tempe Business Center(?) + The building with T Mobile across from the Omni site) and whether it'll be redeveloped soon.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 10:18 PM

Very cool Vintur. Thank you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest