HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 1:52 AM
BANNED

Also, I do not think it is even possible to demolish those brutalist buildings -- a wrecking ball would only bounce off, excavator arms would bend, and TNT charges are mere Black Cat firecrackers to these brawny motherfuckers.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:15 AM

I don't understand how the Denver Public Library or the Portland Building can be on this list. It seems like these critics didn't know what they were looking at. Denver Public library has beautiful proportions and seems magical with its references (through a modern lens) to traditional architectural shapes.

From what I heard they cut the budget of the Portland Building, so maybe it could have been better, but I've seen it in person and I find the colors and shapes refreshing. Regardless, it is quite important for the history of architecture.

With Boston City Hall, I understand how destructive the open plaza is for the city, but beyond that its quite an interesting building.

I'm sure these Bozos will come out next year with a list that includes the Salk Institute, the Farnsworth House and a couple Frank Lloyd Wrights.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 5:15 AM
Gigatall Skyscraper

Why is 375 Pearl Street not on this list?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
I hate you for making me look that up.

Gawd awful.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 2:15 PM

Soldier Field

Please add Soldier Field (renovations) to the list. Implode the metal decking immediately, with no questions asked! Restore the arena to its ancient Greek design origins.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 3:31 PM
Bah!

Quote:
I was first aware of this monstrosity during 9-11 when images of the southern tip of Manhattan were broadcast around the world. With your post I found out the name.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:09 PM

The UCSD Library building is really awesome. Sure, in the middle of the SD Gaslamp District, it would be an awful scar... but on a uni campus, it's perfect.

I also like the Ziggurat.

The 1930s US Mint shouldn't be on that list either IMO. Actually nearly half that list shouldn't be there.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 7:59 PM
All aboard the Failboat

I disagree wholeheartedly with the list, none of the reasoning behind the demolition requests holds any intellectual or logical basis, their calls to demolish the AT&T building in Houston shows blatant ignorance to it's purpose, most modern telephone exchange centers were built without windows.

the rest of it drips with pretention....such as use of words one would not expect the common man to understand, let alone know they were being used incorrectly (I happened upon several misused words) and the rallying cry against the barbie dream house is just inane.

the group takes potshots and digs at other, more successful architects, saying "Even the best make questionable choices." about Frank Ghery is rather crass, and i would not be so quick to judge, i don't know of any buildings by these architects, and their work can be judged just as harshly.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 8:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
[*]AT&T Central Office: Kill it with fire. No redeeming features.
it's a "long lines" building and designed to withstand a bomb blast.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 8:23 PM
Come As You Are

Quote:
I actually don't mind that building. If you want fugliness, check out Prentice Hospital.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 12:05 AM

I love Daly City with its variation of the english row houses, in the modern US west. Urban density at its best.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 1:55 PM
All aboard the Failboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
it's a "long lines" building and designed to withstand a bomb blast.
Exactly, which is one of the reasons they come across as pompous twits, not every building is designed to be beautiful, some are designed around their purpose and failure to recognize that is shamefully ignorant for any Architect.

calling for something to be destroyed because it's utilitarian is disgusting, arrogant, and wrong. Most of the buildings in this world are ugly, utilitarian structures that shelter workers and equipment efficiently and cheaply. It's the rare Gems that we appreciate.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture