HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 4:28 AM

Well, we can hope.

But then again, if it were to talke place in Vancouver the Pattullo Bridge would be far more appropriate for that scene

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 5:19 AM

Truthfully when Vancouver plays itself in the movie, the movie itself is terrible (Ecks vs Sever & Intersection).

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 5:36 AM

yes the vancouver curse

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 4:12 AM

I've been watching Vancouver play Seattle in AMC's "The Killing" over the past several weeks. Tonight's episode included a press conference filmed outside of the convention centre with the Olympic cauldron reflected in the windows behind the actors. In previous episodes I've seen Stanley Park, the rowing club, Gastown, the viaducts (with a SkyTrain leaving Stadium-Chinatown station in the background) and Save-On-Meats.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 4:21 PM

The Real Housewives series is going to be filming in Vancouver. Chosen over Toronto

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2011/05/r...n-development/

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:21 PM
loafing in lotusland

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
It has started to annoy me that having countless films shot here we have never been able to play ourselves.
If enough people got familiar with Vancouver landmarks through mainstream movies, how could we double as another city? ;-)

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:02 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
The Real Housewives series is going to be filming in Vancouver. Chosen over Toronto

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2011/05/r...n-development/
Disgusting series

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:06 AM

i liked the real housewives of beverly hills - never watched any of the other ones

if it airs in the USA it will be great promo for vancouver

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 7:07 AM

I just watched Tron the other night and was really impressed with how much they showed the city in the film.
Here are some screen shots I took off the tv with my phone.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 7:19 AM

It also shows how awesome the Shangri-La could be with a simple lighting effect and / or logo on top

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 11:39 PM

rise of the planet of the apes new trailer

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/06/...e-apes-trailer

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 12:30 AM

Can't wait to see this. I still watch the old Planet Of The Apes movies. I hope this revitalizes the series the way that the latest Star Trek movie revitalized that series.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 2:47 AM
Vancouverite

You guys are going to be happy, something involving Vancouver being Vancouver in entertainment...

In the new game in the Mass Effect series Vancouver and Seattle merged by sprawl and formed a megacity the main centre of finance is Vancouver's downtown
Also it's destroyed by aliens, funfunfun!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...Internet-.html
Quote:
The Seattle/Vancouver megacity on the west coast of North America is a truly gigantic space which Shepard will visit before and after the Reapers take it apart," declared Level Artist Don Arceta. "If you Google Map Vancouver, the layout is pretty much the exact same as our map. Geographically, it’s very true to the real world."

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 8:28 AM

^ Cant wait to see that!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
You guys are going to be happy, something involving Vancouver being Vancouver in entertainment...

In the new game in the Mass Effect series Vancouver and Seattle merged by sprawl and formed a megacity the main centre of finance is Vancouver's downtown
Also it's destroyed by aliens, funfunfun!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...Internet-.html
Conurbation

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 7:44 PM

So I just watched the new Planet of the Apes and again, Vancouver sits in for San Fransisco in several scenes near the end of the movie, basically when the monkeys take over the city. I thought it was pretty clear when Vancouver was being shown, however my brother who used to go to Vancouver every single day for about 6 years didn't even know the Monkey's were destroying our city. Its kinda sad that a city like Vancouver is in so many films, yet doesn't get any credit for it with the general population.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 9:53 PM

Why do they still shoot in BC, given the high Canadian dollar?

I can somewhat understand it if it was for our beautiful scenery, but it doesn't make any sense when it's passed off as someplace else in the USA.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 10:45 PM

Someone told me the other day that it was because of the additional tax credits that most provinces give for movie shooting - that offsets the high dollar. Plus that such credits in the US are either being scaled back or cut all together.

I still think that V and Battlestar Galactica (and Caprica) did a good job of making Vancouver look good. My cousin is a big fan of those shows and lives in Wales and many of her UK fans didn't realize it was all in Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks23 View Post
So I just watched the new Planet of the Apes and again, Vancouver sits in for San Fransisco in several scenes near the end of the movie, basically when the monkeys take over the city. I thought it was pretty clear when Vancouver was being shown, however my brother who used to go to Vancouver every single day for about 6 years didn't even know the Monkey's were destroying our city. Its kinda sad that a city like Vancouver is in so many films, yet doesn't get any credit for it with the general population.
You'd think Vancouver could play itself in a movie like Final Destination 5. I don't think anybody cares what city it takes place in, just as long as someone is being decapitated, burned alive, cut in half by an elevator, or tanned to death.
---------

James Franco ruined the new Planet of the Apes movie for me. He has the same lost look that Keanu Reeves has. There's no way this guy's the super genius that he likes to portray himself as.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Why do they still shoot in BC, given the high Canadian dollar?

I can somewhat understand it if it was for our beautiful scenery, but it doesn't make any sense when it's passed off as someplace else in the USA.
I believe that over years when we did have a low dollar we built up all the supporting industry and now BC more of a standard shooting lactation like LA, and New York.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment