HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post
Now you are talking that sounds good.

As long as you keep the Citrus trees short, you know that they would be the only green trees in the Winter, too. Maybe crepe myrtles too, keep them small or camellia trees/bushess, they keep their flowers for a long time, or japanese maples, again keep them stunted and small some how.
Yeah orange trees are evergreens so they would be green year-round and in winter when they're full of oranges it would make a nice sight looking down towards the capitol. There are many varieties of oranges and most are not very tall anyway and most can be sheared to any shape or size you want. I think a simple formal design would work best there.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
I personally think that's great to hear... more taxs for the city and more
sweet rides rolling around town
Isn't Fulton Avenue car row part of the county and not within Sacramento city limits? So, the City of Sacramento would not really benefit from taxes associated with the car dealership.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 11:25 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
Isn't Fulton Avenue car row part of the county and not within Sacramento city limits? So, the City of Sacramento would not really benefit from taxes associated with the car dealership.

I guess your right... so the County of Sacramento would get the taxes.
Well, it better than Roseville or Placer County taking more business from the
County like what has been happening with the Roseville Galleria and the Auto Mall.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 2:20 PM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post
did anybody see a crowd of bicyclists riding through downtown and midtown today? we had critical mass today and though it was small it was a decent turn-out by sac standards. about 40 bicyclists sharing the roads...we only took one lane so drivers were barely inconvenienced. it was right after rush-hour so it was basically midtowners reclaiming their roads from the mostly gone suburbanites. we had a blast.

oh damn, i wish i would've known about this sooner. i would've been right there, along with the other bicyclists, wearing my denim cut offs like every other midtown bicyclist.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Yeah orange trees are evergreens so they would be green year-round and in winter when they're full of oranges it would make a nice sight looking down towards the capitol. There are many varieties of oranges and most are not very tall anyway and most can be sheared to any shape or size you want. I think a simple formal design would work best there.
Aren't there Orange trees all along CM? I do know there are some right in front of 621....I know they are scattered on P and O streets also

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 3:41 AM

As far as I know the only dominate trees on Capitol Mall are Little-leaf Linden. They're certianly not all along the mall and if they do exist they obviously do not have strong architectural presence. Maybe you are thinking of Capitol Park?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 4:17 AM

In case some of you haven't clicked on the link Ozone has in his signature, I thought I would post this. From what I see so far, I think this would totally rock.

I think Sacramento needs more big time museums and exploratoriums, and I think the old PG&E is a perfect location. Sounds like a lot money is going to be need to raised for this though.

Ozone - Anymore info you might have?

Modeled on San Francisco’s highly respected and hugely popular Exploratorium. SMASHp will be a publicly-owned science museum located in the old PG&E Building on the Sacramento River. SMASHp may be inspired by the Explortorium but it's own exhibits will be modeled on science museums from around the world. And many of the exhibits will be created by visual and performing artists as well as scientists and educators thus creating an unique environment that will stimulate the senses and appeal to people who are not normally turn-on by science.

The former Pacific Gas and Electric Co. building, next to the new Jibboom Street Park, is currently vacant and the city is looking for someone to rehabilitate of the historic building for commercial and/or community use. We propose transforming it into a unique 21st-century science museum. The building’s Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation provides a museum-like quality and in some ways recalls the Palace of Fine Art Building in San Francisco which houses the Exploratorium.

The historic building made of reinforced concrete has a large open interior space that is ideal for a wide variety of scientific exhibits. Natural light will filter through skylights and windows to illuminate the interior during the day and the building will be dramatically lit at night.

The museum's entrance will be through the neo-classical portal on the west side (riverfront) of the PG&E building. The western orientation will increase activity along riverfront and as the Railyards Project Area is developed the wisdom of this orientation will be further reinforced.

A small but architecturally striking pavilion will be constructed northwest of the museum's entrance and will house the museum’s store and café which will have outside terraced where visitors will be able to dine alfresco while overlooking the Sacramento River.

Several specially landscaped spaces throughout the site will include ‘smart art’ pieces.

The area north of the museum will be reserved for a future museum tower –a mix-use residential high-rise, however, until that time the site will be used for museum parking.

The Sacramento Museum of Art, Science and Human Perception is destined to be the one of Sacramento’s most popular tourist destinations- attracting many people to the area each year and energizing the existing Sacramento River Parkway trail that connects Old Sacramento to Discovery Park and helping to make the Sacramento Riverfront truly world-class.

How will SMASHp be financed?
Corporate Donors
Public Utility
City and County of Sacramento
University of California
State and Federal

Last edited by sugit; Apr 30, 2007 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 5:07 PM
From Da Bay to Sacto

Sounds pretty cool, would be a nice complement to the rail yards project and also be a cool place to go along the river there.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 7:03 PM
NIMBY Hater

I always thought that building should be renovated into a sweet, hip club called "The Power Plant."

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 9:06 PM
Kodachrome

That's great to hear about The Sacramento Museum of Art, Science and
Human Perception plan. I like the name of the museum... calling it SMASHp
seems like a forced cool name to me. Also, the old PG&E building is not very big so
wonder how much they will actually have to see and do?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
That's great to hear about The Sacramento Museum of Art, Science and
Human Perception plan. I like the name of the museum... calling it SMASHp
seems like a forced cool name to me. Also, the old PG&E building is not very big so
wonder how much they will actually have to see and do?
You bring up some good points. Obviously this is a very preliminary concept.
You're right to some degree about the size of the old PG&E building but the idea is that since there is plenty of room to expand if needed it would become part of the final design.

The name was actually was taken from the Exploratorium's self-description and as you said was 'forced' on purpose.

Last edited by ozone; May 1, 2007 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 4:04 AM
Kodachrome

So is the 'p' silent in SMASHp, or is it pronounced smash-pee?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 5:30 AM

Quote:
So is the 'p' silent in SMASHp, or is it pronounced smash-pee?
LOL that's epic

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 4:09 PM

That's funny. If you think the 'p' should be silent then for you it is. Or maybe it would be a small or very soft "p"?
I pronounce it smash-pee.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 8:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I hope you are joking about the gas only thing because personally think is immoral to send people off to the killing fields and deplete our national funds so I can get cheap gas when there are better ways to do things.

And I never said that hit-and-runs were that common. But I will say that there are tons of near misses. Yes cyclists do run stop signs and that's a problem and they should be ticketed. Humm.. what would hurt more if it hit you..a bike or a SUV. Give me a break about the woes of drivers. If you think it's not so bad then I think you must not walk or ride a bike as much I do. Just other day a guy stoped his car and yelled obscenities at me for daring to cross at a crosswalk and god forbid slow him down.

I don't hate cars and I like to drive but I realize that the roads are legally and historically not just for cars but I bet most people don't understand that. OK so I'm worked up over this..but damnit so many Americans are too complacent about everything unless it personally involves them. I don't know how it went down so I don't if she was crossing the street or on the side and was thrown into the crosswalk. And just for anyone's information bikes can ride on some of the sidewalks around town and there are usually signs that indicate that. For the most part cyclist use sidewalks because drivers are as'holes and don't see them and they don't want to get hit. Do you blame them? End of Rant.

BTW the cops arrested the as'hole who came back to the crime scene a couple of hours later to retrieve his stupid SUV thinking that everyone would be gone and the guy in an upstairs office called 911. I was talking to the cops just now and they said the victim is going to be OK. Everyone I've talked to tonight on my block about this incident said that the one-ways just encourage too high of speeds.

Sorry guys I do get emotional at times and I don't mean to make it personal..it's just my nature.

Actually, Gas is now healthier than Ethanol....read the article...

Ethanol Vehicles Pose A Significant Risk To Human Health, Study Finds

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=68312

Also, I side with you: Bikes should have the right of way on the streets, as well as people. It is really annoying when I cross in midtown and you have to stop and wait for cars to fly by. Inconsiderates! But SUV's do not make people inconsiderate....

Also, the name SMASHp sucks...I hope they think of something better.

Last edited by econgrad; May 1, 2007 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:33 AM

Ethanol? Is that our only option..I don't think so. Bob I know you are a sponge but I bet if you try real hard you can think of something better than either gasoline or ethanol. Are SUV owners less considerate? Maybe not. I will say that I see a lot of people driving big vehicles alone and wonder what is going on. I should not make blanket statements about anyone..but there does seem to be a real lack in this country of 'thinking' and 'acting' for the greater good -other than themselves.

If you think the name sucks then suggest something better. I think that if you are going to say something sucks then you should at least suggest an alternative. But the name is not as important as the concept....and you may think that sucks too and you're intitled to your opinion.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 2:13 AM
Closed account

Yes, SMASHp in my opinion sucks. It is not my job to think of another name. I do not work there. As far as the SUV VS Small car thing, not everyone believes we are doing harm to the enviroment. I dont believe the hype about Global Warming, and I get sick of people who believe in something that has so little evidence and then forcing their views upon others. Just because an idiot runs down a lady on a bike does not require another speech about how bad SUV's are, when many believe that there is no harm done by our cars. I dont feel like having a debate about this on this forum either, so this is the last response for you. Thanks!

PS:
Spongebob rules! Why the hate on the Bob?

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post

Yes, SMASHp in my opinion sucks. It is not my job to think of another name. I do not work there. As far as the SUV VS Small car thing, not everyone believes we are doing harm to the enviroment. I dont believe the hype about Global Warming, and I get sick of people who believe in something that has so little evidence and then forcing their views upon others. Just because an idiot runs down a lady on a bike does not require another speech about how bad SUV's are, when many believe that there is no harm done by our cars. I dont feel like having a debate about this on this forum either, so this is the last response for you. Thanks!

PS:
Spongebob rules! Why the hate on the Bob?
Interesting that you think that global warming is hype! How old are you again? Perhaps if you were younger and had more time to live on this planet, you wouldn't be thinking that way. Everyone I know that is older than 40 seems to think we can just keep going on our merry way and keep living like we are and the world will stay the same. Amazing how naive some people can be!!! I just read an article on News10.com yesterday that said the polar ice caps are melting at 3x the rate they originally thought. If you thought about the process of global warming and how simple it is you would get it. I'm no scientist. But, common sense tells me that if you heat things up on earth, things are going to change dramatically. If the polar ice caps melt, we're in for some BIG problems! What I'm trying to say is....GLOBAL WARMING IS REAL!!! Denying it is like denying gravity!

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 3:51 AM
Closed account

OK, had to respond since you are making this personal. I am a scientist and I have read and read and read more than you even know. Please dont throw news stories at me, please study facts, and with global warming you will not find any, just theories and hype..believe me I used to believe it too. When you begin to study about it, its all theory and its all about money and people keeping their jobs. Here are a few things to look up: The Earth has been incredibly warmer than it is now, much warmer before we were here. It will be much warmer again if we were here or not. All the computer models that most of the global warming info is coming from is based on weather patterns and atmospheric data only collected in the past 40 to 50 years. Geologists prove time and time again that there has been ice ages (I was too young, but you can look up the big hype in the 70's was that there was going to be an ice age coming) and there has been warm ages. This is all natural, and will happen, SUV's or not, Pollution or not.

http//video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4520665474899458831

After watching this maybe you can look up how all the planets in the solar system are heating up as well. Please do not tell me this is due to our SUV's.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...s-warming.html

Here's more, just think for yourself and look at the other sides. I dont think we should muck this forum up with a global warming debate. You may be right or you may be wrong. Either way I will never insult you or anyone personally, but I will continue to drive my SUV's to and from Tahoe and SF and Santa Cruz and everywhere else and I promise I wont run over any bikers, since I am one as well.

http://www.friendsofscience.org/index.php?ide=4

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/temperature/
This is a collection of global temperatures collected by NASA that shows a general cooling trend especially around the polar ice caps. So assuming the earth is warming what could be causing it, the sun. Look at this graph also put out by NASA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scienti...global_warming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78705J6fvUc

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/aginatur/moregw.htm

http://newsbusters.org/node/10604

http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p36.htm
the signatures of over 17,000 scientists who disagree with the theory of man made global warming (check out the report on this site it does an excellent job of disproving global warming). You may have also seen reports about ice cores supposedly proving global warming, this is not true. Here is the truth about ice cores
http://www.john-daly.com/zjiceco2.htm

http://www.worldclimatereport.com/

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 6:10 AM

the global warming debate needs to go somewhere else. I'm as passionate as you guys about this but nobody is going to change anyones mind on an internet forum. it's futile. but if you insist please open a seperate thread on 'global warming chit-chat.'

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area