HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
"Signature" towers are rarely residential, until there is high enough office demand to warrant a large and tall office building we arent going to get anything signature.

Sorry guys thats just how it is.
Hell Austin put up a 680' residential tower that is appealing to the eye because there was demand for it. Right now in downtown Phx there is demand for apartments, hotel and student housing.

Even if they aren't going to maximize the height, I'm just shocked that there isn't more creativity than putting up a couple of boxes... Put 3 thinner towers made to look like a sun devil pitch fork is coming up from the earth or something with some thought behind it!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 5:24 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessPower View Post
Put 3 thinner towers made to look like a sun devil pitch fork is coming up from the earth or something with some thought behind it!
Now we're talkin'!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 7:25 PM

Hello, new here to the forum. I work closely with Ryan Cos. and can assure you that was not a DAVIS proposal, they had no involvement. This was 100% Ryan developed and designed (and built if selected).

Ryan has an in-house architecture group (most of their current projects are senior living) and this was their design - NOT Davis's. I'm sure Davis would of come up with something a lot cooler - and a lot more expensive!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 10:17 PM

I figured something was up when I saw that rendering. What was Ryan thinking when they proposed that for our downtown?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 11:25 AM

Is there a chance a Target would be among the retailers on this site? That would be the ideal location for one. Either this or Block 23 would have been perfect!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 5:38 AM

I would take that Aspriant proposal anyday over the one we might end up with. Yeah that huge box aspect is lame but we only have two towers over 400 feet that's way more lame. This is a skyscraper forum it would be nice too actual have some real skyscrapers. Jeez I think the diffintion of a skyscraper is 150 meters or taller so actual we don't even have one. Chase is I think 2 meters off that!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 3:49 PM
Modulator

Just an article about the Central Station development posted on Downtown Devil. What I find interesting is the photo depicting the massing of the project. If this is indeed how the tower will look, it may not be so bad as it appears to be much more slender versus the renderings that were posted previously. The layout looks like it will fit the area and Van Buren really well. I'd still like to see it at 400' at the least though. But hey. Much better than the Smith Group proposal that fell through.

Article:
https://downtowndevil.com/2018/11/02/92548/92548/

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post

Look slike they are using the bus stop to break the block up too into 2 blocks

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 5:37 PM

Phoenix Council set to hear downtown transit center redevelopment plans

Quote:
Phoenix City Council will weigh in on the redevelopment of Central Station transit depot at its April 17 meeting.

Electric Red Ventures LLC, a company owned by Houston-based Medistar Corp., was chosen during a request for proposal for the high-profile downtown site. It has proposed creating a $231 million, 1.1 million-square-foot mixed-use development on the site.

The 2.6-acre site is bounded by First Avenue to the west, Central Avenue to the east, Polk Street to the north and Van Buren Street to the south. Interested developers were required to incorporate the transit uses — two light rail stations and a bus station — into the designs.

The land is owned by the city and will be leased for 99 years, which Chris Mackay, the economic development director for the city of Phoenix, said will “generate a tremendous amount of revenue for transit.”

The proposal features:

150 hotel rooms;
300 market-rate residential units;
217 units of student housing totaling 600 beds;
47,350 square feet of ground-floor retail, restaurant and grocery uses;
35,350 square feet of office.

A 300-foot, 30-story tower will include the apartments and hotel. A smaller 200-foot, 18-story tower will include the student housing component. A third, three-story building will be on the site, according to information from the city.

Plans call for Greystar Real Estate Partners to manage the apartments and student housing, InterContinental Hotels Group to manage the hotel, Poag Shopping Centers to manage the retail and Medistar to manage the office space.

Mackay said the development will “really enhance the transit experience” for people using the station.

“This will keep the same walk for you, but it will now be a shaded, lovely breezeway,” she said.
Includes renderings:
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...it-center.html

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 3:46 PM
Modulator

Article on AZ Central regarding Central Station and the lack of affordable workforce housing in the development and in Downtown. Medistar didn't seek the workforce housing incentive since the development was proposed before the city offered the incentive. However, there isn't anything stopping them from still seeking an incentive to add workforce housing to the development. I feel there could be a really good opportunity for Medistar to add a little more to the development. Doing so could also add some floors to the development without adding significant project costs due to the offset by the incentives given to include 10% of workforce housing. Just my 2 cents, but apparently others also feel Medistar should include workforce housing.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ng/3475040002/

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Article on AZ Central regarding Central Station and the lack of affordable workforce housing in the development and in Downtown.
That does seem like a good spot for 'workforce' housing. Certain groups though will always seek more affordable options; nature of the beast.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 9:04 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
That does seem like a good spot for 'workforce' housing. Certain groups though will always seek more affordable options; nature of the beast.
However, not having affordable options is just holding back more residents that could be living Downtown, so Phoenix is really just hurting itself by not pushing for more affordable options. I'm sure there are a ton of residents that want to live Downtown, but cannot afford it. I am on that threshold myself and would have already moved to Downtown if there were about a $300 less per month option for me. Hopefully, if Palm Court gets off the ground which will include workforce housing, then it will catch on and more will be added to future developments.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 1:01 AM

Quote:
However, not having affordable options is just holding back more residents that could be living Downtown, so Phoenix is really just hurting itself by not pushing for more affordable options. I'm sure there are a ton of residents that want to live Downtown, but cannot afford it. I am on that threshold myself and would have already moved to Downtown if there were about a $300 less per month option for me. Hopefully, if Palm Court gets off the ground which will include workforce housing, then it will catch on and more will be added to future developments.
Like right downtown? That's a fair point and I'm never opposed to adding affordable housing. But thinking of other markets like Denver or Seattle, I like to stir the pot by suggesting they're now places that only liberal elites can afford. San Diego, I assume is old enough that more affordable spaces can be found there.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 10:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Like right downtown? That's a fair point and I'm never opposed to adding affordable housing. But thinking of other markets like Denver or Seattle, I like to stir the pot by suggesting they're now places that only liberal elites can afford. San Diego, I assume is old enough that more affordable spaces can be found there.
Conservative elites can live in Boise, OKC and Tampa.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 11:27 PM
self-important urbanista

Central Station

The Central Station project just passed 5-4.

DiCiccio, Waring, and Nowakowski voted no. DiCiccio made his usual arguments about "corporate welfare." Waring didn't elaborate, but I assume his reasoning was similar. Nowakowski said there wasn't a strong enough affordable housing component. I didn't catch who cast the fourth dissenting vote.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 2:02 AM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The Central Station project just passed 5-4.

DiCiccio, Waring, and Nowakowski voted no. DiCiccio made his usual arguments about "corporate welfare." Waring didn't elaborate, but I assume his reasoning was similar. Nowakowski said there wasn't a strong enough affordable housing component. I didn't catch who cast the fourth dissenting vote.
The usual crowd. What has DiCiccio ever been in favor of other than his proposal to move Sky Harbor halfway to Casa Grande?

Excellent news though that it got passed.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 2:21 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
The usual crowd. What has DiCiccio ever been in favor of other than his proposal to move Sky Harbor halfway to Casa Grande?

Excellent news though that it got passed.
Was that actually really proposed??

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 2:35 AM
High Voltage

Quote:
Was that actually really proposed??
Yes, but it was really more of a hair brain notion the he and a couple of his croonies dreamed up. It was batted down swiftly. He proposed to shut down Sky Harbor and build a new international airport somewhere just south of Maricopa. In place of where the airport is now, he suggested a theme park along with multi-use office, retail, and condos on the banks of the Salt River. This was about 10 years ago.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 2:41 AM

I like sky harbors convenience but I wouldnt mind having it no longer restrict building heights and oppening up that whole area for redevelopment.

How about we just build commercial airliners with vertical take off and landing already?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
How about we just build commercial airliners with vertical take off and landing already?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest