HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 3:48 AM

Cool tour to work! Good idea.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 6:03 AM

Thanks for the comment!

Random photos taken during a dinner out on Thursday, 4.8.2021. We went to an Armenian-Lebanese restaurant.

Photo by me

Wine.

Photo by me

Cheese.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Manti.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Coffee...

Photo by me

...and dessert.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Armenian consulate.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 6:36 AM

Random photos taken today, Saturday, 4.10.2021.

Union Station is kind of a mess right now... AMPAS will be presenting the Oscars on April 25th from Union Station, the busiest transit center and railway station west of the Mississippi, yet somehow, transit riders and the general public won't be inconvenienced, according to the Academy. They are prepping for the telecast. The Grand Hall, north and south patios, and Grand Ticketing Hall will be utilized. I guess you can argue that the Oscars are held on a Sunday, typically the slowest day in terms of transit use, plus the number of transit riders has gone down during this pandemic, but traffic and transit users have begun to creep up again. These pictures were taken around 9:30am on Saturday.

Photo by me

Photo by me

One of the patios that will be used during the telecast.

Photo by me

Another view.

Photo by me

The Grand Hall is blocked off.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Afterwards, a quick jaunt through the Plaza and Olvera Street, where the city of Los Angeles began.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I was kinda sad to see this restaurant closed; their food is pretty good, and we've been going here for many years. It's been in business since 1924, has been at this location since 1930, and is in the Pelanconi House, which was built circa 1855-1857. I'm hoping this is just a temporary closure.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Apr 14, 2021 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:07 AM

Photos taken over the weekend of 4.17-4.18.2021.

Photo by me

Chicken prik king.

Photo by me

Vegetable yellow curry.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Shakespeare Bridge.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Hey, Oprah!

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:47 AM
Paradise Island

I've really enjoyed the photos in this thread.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:44 PM

Shakespeare Bridge! A nice little tucked away LA secret. I like the Paramount shot with the Ferrari too, was that intentional or just complete luck? I'm guessing intentional.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
I've really enjoyed the photos in this thread.
Thanks!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Shakespeare Bridge! A nice little tucked away LA secret. I like the Paramount shot with the Ferrari too, was that intentional or just complete luck? I'm guessing intentional.
When I was young, after I saw the movie "Dead Again," I just had to go check out Shakespeare Bridge, which I hadn't been to before until after I saw the movie... hehe I was always such a sucker for LA filming locales. Historically, when it was built in 1926, it went over an actual creek (Sacatela Creek), which was filled in/turned into an underground storm drain in the 1930s, I believe, and a street of houses goes right to the base of the bridge.

The Ferrari shot was actually just happenstance. I originally wanted to take a picture of the Paramount entrance with no traffic, and actually had to wait until the traffic cleared, and as I was setting up the shot, I thought the traffic did clear, but as I pressed the button, the car snuck in. I took the picture again with no traffic, but when I looked at the pictures, I preferred the one with the car, because it conveyed motion, and I thought it made a more interesting picture.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 5:36 AM

Random photos taken today, Wednesday, 4.28.2021. My late afternoon and evening...

Chianti with dinner.

Photo by me

Carpaccio Cipriani.

Photo by me

Tagliolini al curry, with shrimp.

Photo by me

Panna cotta.

Photo by me

And then a walk...

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Apr 30, 2021 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 11:32 AM

Awesome thread! There’s something about palm trees at sunset that command attention (& complete envy) from Midwesterners!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Awesome thread! There’s something about palm trees at sunset that command attention (& complete envy) from Midwesterners!
Well, the palm trees aren't native to LA, but were rather planted decoratively to have the effect you are experiencing! Mission accomplished

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 7:12 PM

Someone went to Manhattan Beach.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 7:46 PM

Great photos. I walk the Shakespeare Bridge most afternoons with my dog. I think about moving to other neighborhoods, but I'm pretty certain I couldn't find another that I love as much. Guess that means I'll be renting for the rest of my life lol

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 8:05 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Someone went to Manhattan Beach.
Hehe, a place I used to actually avoid... way back when, I thought it was too bougie and full of BMW-driving Kens and Barbies. I always had love for Redondo and Hermosa though, places that remind me of my childhood and youth. But Manhattan Beach has kind of grown on me the last couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Great photos. I walk the Shakespeare Bridge most afternoons with my dog. I think about moving to other neighborhoods, but I'm pretty certain I couldn't find another that I love as much. Guess that means I'll be renting for the rest of my life lol
I know what you mean---that's how I feel about South Pas. And yes, Los Feliz/Franklin Hills has so much charm and character.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 5:20 AM

Random photos, bumming around, and food. Saturday, 5.1.2021.

Photo by me

Photo by me

It was mid-afternoon, so we decided to get a pick-me-up. I love this coffeehouse. It reminds me of my college years.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Not only do they serve the usual coffeehouse fare, they also serve different kinds of pastries and ice cream, and the stuff that's on this board...

Photo by me

I got a Turkish coffee and lokum.

Photo by me

Stop: Dinnertime!

Photo by me

Mexican restaurant...

Mango margarita.

Photo by me

Chips and salsas, and guacamole.

Photo by me

Pozole.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 2:55 PM

Nice, I used to live a few blocks away from that hotel in downtown Long Beach, the blue line runs down this street, did you take the train here?

Lots of changes in that area, it’s getting really expensive. The food looks good, what restaurant and coffeehouse did you visit?

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Nice, I used to live a few blocks away from that hotel in downtown Long Beach, the blue line runs down this street, did you take the train here?

Lots of changes in that area, it’s getting really expensive. The food looks good, what restaurant and coffeehouse did you visit?
We didn't take the train to Long Beach this time, but we have indeed done that quite a number of times. And yes, lots of changes in that area.

The restaurant is called Panxa Cocina. It's pretty good. And the coffeehouse is called The Library. Decades ago when I was a student at Cal State Long Beach, I would go there often, in my last 2 years of school there. I still like to go there once in a while whenever I'm down that way.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
We didn't take the train to Long Beach this time, but we have indeed done that quite a number of times. And yes, lots of changes in that area.

The restaurant is called Panxa Cocina. It's pretty good. And the coffeehouse is called The Library. Decades ago when I was a student at Cal State Long Beach, I would go there often, in my last 2 years of school there. I still like to go there once in a while whenever I'm down that way.
Thanks, I never been to The Library but I just checked it out on Yelp. I was looking at the outside photos and I remember passing it everyday on the bus. This was 9 years ago when I was laid off and I was talking classes at Long Beach College, parking was horrible at that campus.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 3:25 AM

Good photos. I wonder how the Oscars in union station looked throughout that location....didn't watch the show but got a glimpse of a clip of the way the TV ppl modified the station's old ticketing hall. Raised platforms & tables, more like a restaurant....heard the show got low ratings.

Shakespeare Bridge is a classic... just wish the devlprs of old LA had done what Europeans were doing over 100 yrs ago....put power lines under the ground, not above.

Not sure about close up photos of food & ppl, however. That seems a bit intrusive to the privacy of diners-strangers, plus I imagine food looks fairly similar throughout the country. Still, pics of LA are always interesting.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Not sure about close up photos of food & ppl, however. That seems a bit intrusive to the privacy of diners-strangers, plus I imagine food looks fairly similar throughout the country. Still, pics of LA are always interesting.
Thanks for your comments, citywatch.

I beg to differ, however, on food looking similar throughout the country.

Here's a picture I took of a chicken breast salad in a neighboring state at the end of 2019; before clicking the link, think of the image you might have of a chicken breast salad, and then click the link: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...72c81f51_b.jpg

Aren't you like, 'WTF??' Look what they did to the chicken breast. And cheddar cheese?? What the hell?!? It's a mess.

And have you ever had Mexican food in Wisconsin? Here's a yelper's picture of "authentic" Mexican food in Wisconsin: https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...myCGHHzA/o.jpg

Look at those chips. And the yelper referred to that white stuff as "salsa blanca." What the fuck is that?? Like ranch dressing or something? Isn't it appalling?

I named this thread "My Los Ángeles." I post pictures of what I see in *MY* Los Ángeles. The food. The people. The landscapes. The art. Things I love and appreciate and connect with in my county. Things that stimulate my senses. My Los Ángeles.

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos