HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15561  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 6:54 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Not only that, but once a rail line in a densely built urban environment like Chicago is removed, its gone forever. There's no way residents would allow the construction of any new freight lines in their backyards. While adaptive reuse as parks (ala the 606) are great, it would seem really prudent for the city/county/state to preserve as much remaining freight rail ROWs in the Chicago area as possible for the possibility of use in the years down the line.
My post got deleted/relocated with the supply-chain stuff, but it looks like the section of the Altenheim Sub where a trail is proposed will also keep two trackways for rail. Not sure if this is for CSX to continue local freight service or if it's being banked for passenger service in the future. Or maybe this is one of those situations like the Carroll Ave line in River North where CSX will roll 2 freight cars down the tracks once a year so the government can't declare the line abandoned.

Either way this seems like a prudent decision. I've always thought the Altenheim Sub would be an ideal corridor for O'Hare Express if you can figure out where it would stop downtown.


https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...g_1_boards.pdf
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15562  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 10:40 PM
woodrow woodrow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 844
Brown Line Flyover is done and will be open for service starting tomorrow AM - https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/11...riday-morning/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15563  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 10:45 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is offline
BDR 529
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 7,769
^ I think it turned out okay. I think many were nervous it was going to be absolutely hidous and overpowering at that height. Im looking forward to the new trackway being hemmed in by the new replacement infill development. And needless to say the flyover is a major improvement that will speed service and that can never be a bad thing.
__________________
IS THERE ANYTHING LOWER THAN A RUPERT MURDOCH?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15564  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 2:27 AM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is offline
1st Ward
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 2,184
The existing elevated trackage will remain, right? I assume its needed for Loop-bound Brown line trains?
__________________
"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world." -Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15565  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 11:59 AM
emathias's Avatar
emathias emathias is offline
Adoptive Chicagoan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: River North, Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 5,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Brown Line Flyover is done and will be open for service starting tomorrow AM - https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/11...riday-morning/
I wasn't planning to ride an early train over it this morning until a drained smoke detector battery woke me at 4am. Irritated, I decided to ride it this morning. It's very smooth and if you weren't paying attention you could totally miss it, so I think they did a great job. I'd post photos except it doesn't go high enough to see much at 5am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
The existing elevated trackage will remain, right? I assume its needed for Loop-bound Brown line trains?
No, for Kimball-bound trains. Loop ones just turn right /south into the nearest track. Kimball-bound ones used to have to turn left/west across the tracks for both directions of the Red Line and the Purple Line.
__________________
I like travel and photography - check out my Flickr page.
CURRENT GEAR: Nikon Z6, Nikon Z 14-30mm f4 S, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4 S, Nikon 50mm f1.4G
STOLEN GEAR: (during riots of 5/30/2020) Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm F2.8G, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15566  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 1:40 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is offline
BDR 529
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 7,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
The existing elevated trackage will remain, right? I assume its needed for Loop-bound Brown line trains?
Only the southbound track will be used in revenue service. Whether they physically remove the northbound track I don't know. It may be kept for redundancy, equipment movements or temporary storage but is unlikely to ever be used again for Kimball trains with passengers.
__________________
IS THERE ANYTHING LOWER THAN A RUPERT MURDOCH?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15567  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 1:43 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is offline
BDR 529
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 7,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I wasn't planning to ride an early train over it this morning until a drained smoke detector battery woke me at 4am.
I've been there. My sympathies. Chirp... Chirp...
__________________
IS THERE ANYTHING LOWER THAN A RUPERT MURDOCH?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15568  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 5:05 AM
killaviews's Avatar
killaviews killaviews is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 490
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15569  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 1:32 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
Oh yeah that's the good stuff.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15570  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 3:45 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Only the southbound track will be used in revenue service. Whether they physically remove the northbound track I don't know. It may be kept for redundancy, equipment movements or temporary storage but is unlikely to ever be used again for Kimball trains with passengers.
I would imagine they keep it for redundancy. If they ever need to take Track 4 out of service (i.e. 3-tracking at Belmont) then northbound Brown Line trains won't be able to access the flyover.

But they will probably replace/upgrade all the trackwork at Clark Junction as they rebuild the Main Line structure between Belmont/Addison in phase 2.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15571  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 3:46 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is offline
BDR 529
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 7,769
^ agreed
__________________
IS THERE ANYTHING LOWER THAN A RUPERT MURDOCH?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15572  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 11:21 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,035
The piece they slid in to make the connection also maintains the old route across the junction as an option. It's not connected now AFAIK but once they do the rebuild north of there I'm sure it will be.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15573  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 5:05 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The site it too far from a CTA station to qualify for TOD, so they likely have that many parking spots because of zoning
Correct. They don't qualify for TOD but they are changing the underlying zoning to a DX-7 which comes with a requirement of 0.7 spaces per dwelling unit, and no required parking for office.

Since the site is planned for 971 dwelling units across both subareas, that means SB must provide at least 680 parking spots on site for the residential only. They are providing 715 parking spots total, so the extra 35 spaces are probably token parking for the office space (guest parking or reserved for execs, etc).

Really you can't blame SB for the high parking here, they are providing what they are legally required to provide. Blame the city for both a TOD ordinance that is too restrictive, and their utter failure to provide adequate transit to the fastest growing part of the city. Transit access here is even worse than Austin or Englewood, since the West Loop has no north-south bus in the entire mile between Halsted and Ashland, and because the rapid development adds traffic that slows down the buses more and more each year.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15574  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 5:45 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 24,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
the West Loop has no north-south bus in the entire mile between Halsted and Ashland
Racine would be a natural for a N/S bus route, if only it weren't so disjointed and discontinuous everywhere.

i mean, how'd it get south of cermak? jog over to loomis, cross the south branch, and then pick racine back up at 31st?

and going north, the kennedy, the river, and goose island would make for all kinds of wacky twists and turns to get a bus route back up to where racine is continuous again at armitage.
__________________
If a Pizza is baked in a forest, and no one is around to eat it, is it still delicious?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 22, 2021 at 9:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15575  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 6:10 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Racine would be a natural for a N/S bus route, if only it weren't so disjointed and discontinuous everywhere.

i mean, how'd it get south of cermak? jog over to loomis, cross the south branch, and then pick racine back up at 31st?

and going north, the kennedy, the river, and goose island would make for all kinds of wacky twists and turns to get a bus route back up to where racine is mostly continuous again at armitage.
There's different ways you could do it; personally I would focus on a route that only covers between the north and south branches of the river at first, running Ashland Orange Line to Grand Blue Line (Archer-Loomis-Blue Island-Racine-Ogden). You could cover Racine thru Pilsen with a jog at Cermak, but I think it makes more sense to overlap with the #60 so they can share bus stops.

Hooking it into the existing #44 Racine bus would be difficult, but that should be the ultimate goal to fill in the missing link in the bus grid. Some planned projects like the North Branch Transitway might help extend it north in the future, ideally to Fullerton station where Red/Brown/Purple transfer is possible.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15576  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:37 PM
WestTowner WestTowner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Correct. They don't qualify for TOD but they are changing the underlying zoning to a DX-7 which comes with a requirement of 0.7 spaces per dwelling unit, and no required parking for office.

Since the site is planned for 971 dwelling units across both subareas, that means SB must provide at least 680 parking spots on site for the residential only. They are providing 715 parking spots total, so the extra 35 spaces are probably token parking for the office space (guest parking or reserved for execs, etc).

Really you can't blame SB for the high parking here, they are providing what they are legally required to provide. Blame the city for both a TOD ordinance that is too restrictive, and their utter failure to provide adequate transit to the fastest growing part of the city. Transit access here is even worse than Austin or Englewood, since the West Loop has no north-south bus in the entire mile between Halsted and Ashland, and because the rapid development adds traffic that slows down the buses more and more each year.
Question for those who know better: Have parking minimum exceptions been granted before? If there were a situation that warranted it, this seems to be the one. Can't be more than 100 feet away from TOD. SB has to the have the relationships with at least a few alderman to make it happen, one would think. Just don't know if that's ever been a thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15577  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 9:30 AM
Briguy Briguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTowner View Post
Question for those who know better: Have parking minimum exceptions been granted before? If there were a situation that warranted it, this seems to be the one. Can't be more than 100 feet away from TOD. SB has to the have the relationships with at least a few alderman to make it happen, one would think. Just don't know if that's ever been a thing.
I wouldn’t be surprised if an ada/Elizabeth cta station is proposed by some of these developers to help unlock the TOD, I mean the price of building this one 700 spot garage has to be approaching the cost of a station. A few buildings’ savings would more than pay for it…
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15578  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 5:50 PM
Randomguy34's Avatar
Randomguy34 Randomguy34 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago & Philly
Posts: 1,444
160 N. Elizabeth got construction permits yesterday


Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if an ada/Elizabeth cta station is proposed by some of these developers to help unlock the TOD, I mean the price of building this one 700 spot garage has to be approaching the cost of a station. A few buildings’ savings would more than pay for it…
The Fulton Market Metra station will certainly help full the gaps. The bigger and easier change that can be done is simply expanding the TOD boundaries in the city from 1/4 a mile to 1/2 a mile.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15579  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 6:19 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 5,855
It's 0.8 miles between the Ashland and Morgan stops. I think we would have to see a ton more density in the overall area for both residential and office for them to spend all that money to build a stop there. Don't think that's about to happen anytime soon. At most you have a 0.4 mile walk to anywhere in between depending on which stop you get off at. Not a long walk at all..under 10 minutes.
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15580  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 9:22 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,307
A much better spot to build a station would be Madison Pink in conjunction with DX zoning for everything out to Damen...
__________________
Got suspended for using the term "Dingbat", no point in participating when that's your excuse for censorship.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:39 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.